The Politics Thread 2019

Day

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

So - 5% seems to be the lowest rate that most goods can be set at. And female hygiene is permitted, yet we're still charging full VAT in this country - definitely isn't the EUs fault that it isn't 5%.

We have three rates in the UK don't we? Standard rate for most things, 5% for consumer Gas/Electric, kid's car seats, tampons, wheelchairs and fag patches.

Then lots of things are 0% rated - kids clothes and books are the ones that spring to mind

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

The EU will not allow its members to reduce Vat below 5%. Part of the NI issue is is that of we decide to reduce Vat to nil or a certain type of product, then NI will have to retain that 5%.

1 hour ago, sage said:

That is for certain goods and services.

Again you can look this up online.

Dont really need to look it up, going completely off on a tangent. Back to the original point, if UK wanted to lower its standard rate VAT level to 10% it could  not do this in the EU, it can do when we leave. 

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Dont really need to look it up, going completely off on a tangent. Back to the original point, if UK wanted to lower its standard rate VAT level to 10% it could  not do this in the EU, it can do if? we leave. 

FTFY? Who knows? ?

Some good lines in this guardian remoaming piece on Johnson's amazing deal...

"In a telling slip, the foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, told Northern Ireland to cheer up and realise it was getting a “cracking deal” that would allow it to keep “frictionless access to the single market” – which rather highlights why this is a terrible deal for everyone else."

"Northern Ireland is being cut loose, by the same Boris Johnson who less than a year ago was telling the DUP’s annual conferencethat any customs or regulatory distinction between Britain and Northern Ireland would “damage the fabric of the union”, and: “No British Conservative government could or should sign up to any such arrangement.”"

"The chancellor, Sajid Javid, has refused to provide an economic impact assessment of the deal, breezily insisting that any cost will be worth it because getting Brexit agreed will be “good for the fabric of our democracy”"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/18/remainers-boris-johnson-brexit

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Some good lines in this guardian remoaming piece on Johnson's amazing deal...

"In a telling slip, the foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, told Northern Ireland to cheer up and realise it was getting a “cracking deal” that would allow it to keep “frictionless access to the single market” – which rather highlights why this is a terrible deal for everyone else."

"Northern Ireland is being cut loose, by the same Boris Johnson who less than a year ago was telling the DUP’s annual conferencethat any customs or regulatory distinction between Britain and Northern Ireland would “damage the fabric of the union”, and: “No British Conservative government could or should sign up to any such arrangement.”"

"The chancellor, Sajid Javid, has refused to provide an economic impact assessment of the deal, breezily insisting that any cost will be worth it because getting Brexit agreed will be “good for the fabric of our democracy”"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/18/remainers-boris-johnson-brexit

Unless it helps get Johnson re-elected as prime minister in the next General Election.  

He is single minded, I'll give him that.  It's all about him...it always has been.

23 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I'm very concerned that the erg are going to try to engineer a no deal brexit this week I'm afraid. I think remainers in parliament are 2 moves away from checkmate to boris' deal. 

I know what you mean but I can't see how it happens, unless the EU decide they've had enough of the indecisiveness from the UK. I can't see the deal going through without an enormous bung to the ERG. Obviously that could happen, but seems more likely to result in boris asking for an extension. I hope the EU grant a long one, with the same option to leave earlier should a deal be made. A year, maybe even 2. 

10 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Unless it helps get Johnson re-elected as prime minister in the next General Election.  

He is single minded, I'll give him that.  It's all about him...it always has been.

Of course it is. The majority of politicians are the same.

Dangerous games being played. If the EU say no to any extension, we’re gone 31st. 

Anyone see that Muppet Labour minister asking for help with child support because he has to work on a Saturday. 
These Muppets don’t deserve to serve. How disrespectful to Jo Public. 

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

That's certainly true to some extent.  BJ is on a different level though.  Duplicitous and insincere to his very core. 

Yes i do tend to believe Cameron when he says boris only backed leave for personal gain.

18 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

On second thoughts I'm not sure why boris is so worried about this ammendment. He only has to request the extension - i expect that the main motion for the deal will pass, if brought tonight. The trouble is that too many people don't trust him.

I thought they were not even voting tonight now.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Dangerous games being played. If the EU say no to any extension, we’re gone 31st. 

Anyone see that Muppet Labour minister asking for help with child support because he has to work on a Saturday. 
These Muppets don’t deserve to serve. How disrespectful to Jo Public. 

Only as much of a muppet as the tory moaning to the BBC that today has ruined his birthday.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Only as much of a muppet as the tory moaning to the BBC that today has ruined his birthday.

Dont blame him to be honest.

Been called into work for a complete waste of a day that even Stevie Wonder could see coming.

BJ has come back with a deal and that is what they should have been voting on, not more motions trying to sabotage Brexit.

The Speaker could have informed everyone what they would be voting on and saved alot of MPs wasting their Saturday!

Archived