The Politics Thread 2019

Day

2 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Actually of course thinking about it, there is the third option: This Deal; No Deal or Revoke A50

Fire Parliament into the sun?

Nuke ourselves?

Turn off the power grid?

LOADS of options.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

You've already told me several times that I'm wrong, so I've got better things to than prise open closed minds. Let's just  agree to disagree eh?

Why? I'm more than open to changing my mind if you can qualify what you have told me with some evidence that backs it up?

I'm just confused how losing 18 seats displays Corbyn striking a blow against the Conservatives? Happy for you to explain it and change my mind.

As part of the brexit agreement, it appears that more control will be given to the assembly at Stormont to solve the NI problem. Thus giving more power to the Sinn Fein party and contol of NI's future and closer ties with the rest of Ireland.

So could we see something they said would never happen and have the Sinn Fein MP's finally taking their seats in the Commons, to help vote the brexit deal through Parliament.

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

As part of the brexit agreement, it appears that more control will be given to the assembly at Stormont to solve the NI problem. Thus giving more power to the Sinn Fein party and contol of NI's future and closer ties with the rest of Ireland.

So could we see something they said would never happen and have the Sinn Fein MP's finally taking their seats in the Commons, to help vote the brexit deal through Parliament.

Interesting idea, but nope. They don't play to make their point.

3 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

I will say there are aspects of Johnsons deal that I, as a leave, wont like. The defence giveaways in particular. 

But like the majority of this country I just want this to be bought to a conclusion. I'll read the finer details before nailing my flag, but I think he's bought back a winner here. Fair play to him. 

Dawnie, the answer is obvious.

the Uk must match across the channel and draw the border of the UK customs union around the outside of the EU27.

some may call in invasion and war, I call it pragmatic customs alignment ?

Corbyn - hoped for a deal not to be concluded. Vote of no confidence to head an emergency government and go for a second referendum. 

Boris - Achieves a deal, that he probably doesn't want. Will make parliament vote it down and then go for a no deal. 

EU -  Gambled on parliament taking the deal. May end up with no deal. 

Interesting either way. 

19 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Out of interest have any of the politicians who don't agree with the deal laid out 'in detail ' what the deal should be?

What and give the game away that what they actually want is for Brexit to be cancelled?

Only Jo Swinson has actually had the balls to say it I think. As much as I disagree with her at least she has had the honesty to lay her intentions out rather than hide behind the charade of a 'peoples vote' or 'confirmatory referendum'.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

What and give the game away that what they actually want is for Brexit to be cancelled?

Only Jo Swinson has actually had the balls to say it I think. As much as I disagree with her at least she has had the honesty to lay her intentions out rather than hide behind the charade of a 'peoples vote' or 'confirmatory referendum'.

Aye, Corbyn costs us millions a day with his poo opposition, his problems with helping any form of negotiations and leaving us with no cards on the table to try and get a deal with. And all the extensions. 

Wonder what the total cost of Corbyn's poor leadership of the opposition has cost us. 

Like you say, Swinson has said it. I disagree completely with her, but at least I know what her and her party stands for. 

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

The DUP don't appear to keen on the new deal. I wonder what sort of bribe the tories will need to offer the DUP this time, to get their ten votes.

I don't think they'll accept a bribe on something they believe will weaken the Union.  Maintaining the union between GB and NI is their raison d'être.  And it would be suicide for them at the polls. 

Accepting a bribe to prop up the Tories was a different proposition altogether.

What a funking shambles this Brexit has turned out to be. Did no one think of raising the Irish border problems during the referendum? Did the Leave people not mention it on purpose? Were Remain so complacent they didn't bother? Does anyone still want this farce to continue?

Maybe the 2nd referendum should just be in Northern Ireland?Do you want to be part of an United Ireland and in the EU? Or part of UK and not in the EU?

Scotland can have the same referendum question for independence.

Wales will probably want the same then too, and England can turn into a fully inward looking irrelevance so we can pretend it's like the good old 1950s again: food supplies rationed, openly racist politicians, kids allowed to roam the streets late at night cos we pretend paedos don't exist, no abortions especially for rape victims.

Might be time now to get those Irish passports for me and the kids sorted out.

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

What a funking shambles this Brexit has turned out to be. Did no one think of raising the Irish border problems during the referendum? Did the Leave people not mention it on purpose? Were Remain so complacent they didn't bother? Does anyone still want this farce to continue?

Maybe the 2nd referendum should just be in Northern Ireland?Do you want to be part of an United Ireland and in the EU? Or part of UK and not in the EU?

Scotland can have the same referendum question for independence.

Wales will probably want the same then too, and England can turn into a fully inward looking irrelevance so we can pretend it's like the good old 1950s again: food supplies rationed, openly racist politicians, kids allowed to roam the streets late at night cos we pretend paedos don't exist, no abortions especially for rape victims.

Might be time now to get those Irish passports for me and the kids sorted out.

No not particularly, wanted it done on 31st March.

If it wasnt for the whinging remoaners we would be out by now and would probably have had our trade deal with the EU sorted.

Think you need to have a word with Merkel, she certainly doesnt expect a post Brexit UK to turn out how you are expecting it to, sure your words will save her a lot of worry!

Archived