The Politics Thread 2019

Day

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

The original poster said something along the lines of inheritance tax doesnt affect factory workers earning £20k per year.

Inheritance tax affects anyone who receives an estate above the exempt threshold, its irrelevant what they earn.

And as parents begin to pass down properties that have benefitted from the property booms, then more and more people will be subject to inheritance tax.

If you wasnt clever enough to work out that is what I meant then maybe you're not as intelligent as you try to have everyone believe, although I'm sure you will now post another pointless link that shows everyone how clever you really are.

Of course, a factory worker in Stafforshire on 20k could end up paying inheritance tax. But most of them won't.

My point anyway is that inheritance tax is one of those things that the masses are always told is wrong by rich people, via the 'popular' press.

Remember the outcry last time when there was talk of a wealth tax. Those sob stories of the poor old granny who can't afford to eat but her house is now worth 2 million and she will have to move out. This been the reason why rich Saudis should not face any financial penalties on multiple empty properties whilst homelessness is booming.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Of course, a factory worker in Stafforshire on 20k could end up paying inheritance tax. But most of them won't.

My point anyway is that inheritance tax is one of those things that the masses are always told is wrong by rich people, via the 'popular' press.

Remember the outcry last time when there was talk of a wealth tax. Those sob stories of the poor old granny who can't afford to eat but her house is now worth 2 million and she will have to move out. This been the reason why rich Saudis should not face any financial penalties on multiple empty properties whilst homelessness is booming.

Sometimes rich Russians

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Not sure if there is any evidence to support the first statement but guess it stands to reason the more you earn the higher your chances of having to pay it.

I couldn't agree more with people who say that inheritance tax is wrong. You're basically being taxed at 40% for dying, on assets that have most likely already been subject to one or more taxes.

Surely we should be encouraging families to accumulate wealth to pass down?

22 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Nope... Thought about it and hate covers it.. 

If you honestly find yourself hating a 70 year old man, who has been an award winning peace campaigner for his entire adult life, and actively wants to improve the lives of everyone then I'd say the problem is actually with you and not him. "Angry" Ram? Seems that way. Hate is a really ugly emotion and no good ever comes of it.

19 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

If you honestly find yourself hating a 70 year old man, who has been an award winning peace campaigner for his entire adult life, and actively wants to improve the lives of everyone then I'd say the problem is actually with you and not him. "Angry" Ram? Seems that way. Hate is a really ugly emotion and no good ever comes of it.

Thanks to the right leaning press, it seems JC is seen as an IRA collaborator. Despite the fact that all politicians of all flavours were secretly negotiating with the IRA, somehow Corbyn is seen as an enemy of the British for doing it. I think that's the main reason people think they hate him. 

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Thanks to the right leaning press, it seems JC is seen as an IRA collaborator. Despite the fact that all politicians of all flavours were secretly negotiating with the IRA, somehow Corbyn is seen as an enemy of the British for doing it. I think that's the main reason people think they hate him. 

Watched the program “the troubles” and that was essentially the message.

The uk said “we don’t negotiate with terrorists” when they forget to add “openly”.

Paisleys mob swearing blind they had no connection with Northern Ireland Action when they did and facilitated arming extreme unionist factions in the 1980s.

I can well imagine jezza getting suckered and choosing his friends poorly tho. Basically he’s just a protester who has never been put in a position of having to select from unpalatable options.

6 hours ago, maxjam said:

Haha yeah its the same for all the papers, you get the extremes on both sides that think left wing rags are right wing and visa versa ?

The article is 2 years old now and it would be interesting to see a more recent one, its feels like politics (both here and in the US) is driving more people to the extremes.

So the article is two years old. Does that mean all the data it contained can't be used when used to prove a point?

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure if there is any evidence to support the first statement but guess it stands to reason the more you earn the higher your chances of having to pay it.

I couldn't agree more with people who say that inheritance tax is wrong. You're basically being taxed at 40% for dying, on assets that have most likely already been subject to one or more taxes.

Surely we should be encouraging families to accumulate wealth to pass down?

Its a tough one.

I am fairly sure even average or slightly above average earners wont attract inheritance tax. Isn't the amount for a couple going to be close on a million pounds soon?

For most people the majority of any inheritance to pass down is going to be the home they live in, provided they are lucky enough to escape ill health in later life which requires them to live in a care home etc.

The average home price is circa 250k? So there is plenty of buffer zone there for those that have earned that bit more and saved that bit more.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Its a tough one.

I am fairly sure even average or slightly above average earners wont attract inheritance tax. Isn't the amount for a couple going to be close on a million pounds soon?

For most people the majority of any inheritance to pass down is going to be the home they live in, provided they are lucky enough to escape ill health in later life which requires them to live in a care home etc.

The average home price is circa 250k? So there is plenty of buffer zone there for those that have earned that bit more and saved that bit more.

Just don't understand in what way, assets which have probably been subject to tax already should be taxed again.

Let's say its cash, it's quite possible that the person has already been taxed at 40% on it and then it's going to be taxed at 40% again...how can that be right?

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just don't understand in what way, assets which have probably been subject to tax already should be taxed again.

Let's say its cash, it's quite possible that the person has already been taxed at 40% on it and then it's going to be taxed at 40% again...how can that be right?

Yeah i get that. I understand what you mean but for the majority of us its probably not an issue.

I personally think its a bigger travesty if an elderly couple need care and it costs them their assets and their families inheritance, not a death tax, an illness tax.

That's more likely to affect what someone can leave to someone than inheritance tax.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yeah i get that. I understand what you mean but for the majority of us its probably not an issue.

I personally think its a bigger travesty if an elderly couple need care and it costs them their assets and their families inheritance, not a death tax, an illness tax.

That's more likely to affect what someone can leave to someone than inheritance tax.

With you on that one. Something affecting my family now and its absolutely disgusting to say the least. A lifetime of savings wiped out in less than 3 years.

59 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

With you on that one. Something affecting my family now and its absolutely disgusting to say the least. A lifetime of savings wiped out in less than 3 years.

Sounds really tough. Would be interested to know what you think the solution could be to this though? There are clearly no easy answers. Apart from a fell funded state having the means to provide good quality care to people in that situation.

59 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sounds really tough. Would be interested to know what you think the solution could be to this though? There are clearly no easy answers. Apart from a fell funded state having the means to provide good quality care to people in that situation.

I'd certainly be re-evaluating which members of society were being looked after first.

For me, old people who have spent a lifetime contributing to the country and members of the armed forces would be much further up than list than people who have not contributed anything or people who make a career of having children, just my personal opinion though and one that I am aware will be unpopular with many, I make no apologies for it though. Think our welfare system has become a disgrace.

I'd certainly be re-evaluating which members of society were being looked after first.

For me, old people who have spent a lifetime contributing to the country and members of the armed forces would be much further up than list than people who have not contributed anything or people who make a career of having children, just my personal opinion though and one that I am aware will be unpopular with many, I make no apologies for it though. Think our welfare system has become a disgrace.

My wife as had a very important and good career having and raising children. She didn't get that well paid for her efforts but if I say so myself, some of the fringe benefits she enjoyed were very good. Though I did have to work hard to earn enough money, that allowed her to follow her chosen career.

12 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

For me, old people who have spent a lifetime contributing to the country would be much further up than list than people who have not contributed anything or people who make a career of having children

I assume you are aware of the irony in this statement. The "old people" you speak of come from generations where virtually all of the women were career housewives. They didn't earn, and they didn't financially contribute. They just brought up the kids. Because that was an option open to everyone when you could live off one person's wage (as my parents and grandparents did)

What is the difference between a housewife of the 1960's/1970s who chose not to partake in formal employment and a 21st century mother in the same situation?

51 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I assume you are aware of the irony in this statement. The "old people" you speak of come from generations where virtually all of the women were career housewives. They didn't earn, and they didn't financially contribute. They just brought up the kids. Because that was an option open to everyone when you could live off one person's wage (as my parents and grandparents did)

What is the difference between a housewife of the 1960's/1970s who chose not to partake in formal employment and a 21st century mother in the same situation?

I'm talking more about families that dont contribute full stop as opposed to mothers with working partners.

I'm talking more about families that dont contribute full stop as opposed to mothers with working partners.

I respect that's your view, but personally I highly doubt it's as big a problem as you perceive. The fact is that means-testing of benefits is already pretty draconian under the current regime. It might be frustrating to observe a minority who you think are gaming the system - but to try and clampdown further in order to lock them out would have much wider ranging negative consequences.

At the end of the day you can't have a Welfare State that is based on people's gut feelings of "who is the most deserving". Far too subjective

Archived