The Politics Thread 2019

Day

3 hours ago, Montgolfier said:

They say 'Jump', you say 'How high?'.

You are primed to agree with them, just as you are primed to disagree with me.

I am not sure I have ever seen anything you have written that I have taken the trouble to disagree with, I might be wrong but suspect you are flattering yourself. I don’t even know what your political viewpoint is, or even if you have one. x

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mate Mr. Khan is the union member for Grantham Asda. That's all I can be arsed to say on the subject. My Mrs is already on one of the new contracts and has been for 2 years. 

She also has a terrible illness record from having Ehlers Danlos. They have never moved her hours, her department nor anyone else in the whole store. 

It is just baalocks. 

Just now, Norman said:

My mate Mr. Khan is the union member for Grantham Asda. That's all I can be arsed to say on the subject. My Mrs is already on one of the new contracts and has been for 2 years. 

She also has a terrible illness record from having Ehlers Danlos. They have never moved her hours, her department nor anyone else in the whole store. 

It is just baalocks. 

Not sure what Mr Khan's relevance is.

Is he stripped of any power to intervene? If so are we agreed that attacking union rights is a bad thing? 

Is he able but unwilling to intervene? The powerful union barons simultaneously controlling yet spineless? 

Not sure where we're going here. 

18 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I am not sure I have ever seen anything you have written that I have taken the trouble to disagree with, I might be wrong but suspect you are flattering yourself. I don’t even know what your political viewpoint is, or even if you have one. x

Sssshhhh.

It's a secret.

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Not sure what Mr Khan's relevance is.

Is he stripped of any power to intervene? If so are we agreed that attacking union rights is a bad thing? 

Is he able but unwilling to intervene? The powerful union barons simultaneously controlling yet spineless? 

Not sure where we're going here. 

i am thinking of an imaginary island somewhere where the unions lost their power long ago.  How could such a thing happen?  Maybe the union leaders and their representatives were simply paid off, go figure and maybe many there do.  If so, that tactic was hardly invented there, i figure, i gather, i just suppose, you know kind of.

5 hours ago, ramit said:

i am thinking of an imaginary island somewhere where the unions lost their power long ago.  How could such a thing happen?  Maybe the union leaders and their representatives were simply paid off, go figure and maybe many there do.  If so, that tactic was hardly invented there, i figure, i gather, i just suppose, you know kind of.

Eh?

9 hours ago, GboroRam said:

And of course nobody has to take zero hours, but if more and more of the positions available are zero hours what choices do people have? 

Not take them.

If companies cant fill the positions then they will realise these contracts are not acceptable and stop offering them.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not take them.

If companies cant fill the positions then they will realise these contracts are not acceptable and stop offering them.

Good point. Putting food on the table can take a back seat while I stick to my principles.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not take them.

So I decline a job, and thus also my entitlement to unemployment benefit and hope everyone else takes the same stand? 

And even if all this happens, where do I and my family live? What do we eat?

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Good point. Putting food on the table can take a back seat while I stick to my principles.

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

So I decline a job, and thus also my entitlement to unemployment benefit and hope everyone else takes the same stand? 

And even if all this happens, where do I and my family live? What do we eat?

But a zero hour contract guarantees you no money to put food on the table.

Not sure on the rules on unemployment benefit so cant comment.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But a zero hour contract guarantees you no money to put food on the table.

Not sure on the rules on unemployment benefit so cant comment.

Clearly zero hours contracts are totally unsuitable for a large proportion of people. If you live with your parents, flipping burgers part time on an "as required" basis is fine. If you have a family or want to perhaps buy a house, it's completely unsuitable. The increase in number of jobs offered on zero hours means that the pool of available work for anyone wanting something more than gig economy jobs is dramatically reduced. I think it's a travesty, clearly you aren't so concerned. I guess you aren't affected.

Just now, GboroRam said:

Clearly zero hours contracts are totally unsuitable for a large proportion of people. If you live with your parents, flipping burgers part time on an "as required" basis is fine. If you have a family or want to perhaps buy a house, it's completely unsuitable. The increase in number of jobs offered on zero hours means that the pool of available work for anyone wanting something more than gig economy jobs is dramatically reduced. I think it's a travesty, clearly you aren't so concerned. I guess you aren't affected.

I am completely opposed to zero hour contracts.

They dont affect me now but could affect me or my children in the future.

I think they are abhorrent.

However, you stated people are forced to take them. That is clearly untrue.

Who knows maybe this a byproduct of having our lower paid job market by people who will work for low amounts and arent too bothered about conditions, wonder where they appeared from?

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

"despite the fact that workers have to accept zero hours contracts"

There.

Fair enough. I'm trying to be as difficult as others on this thread by splitting hairs.

It's not that people are forced. But if the only jobs on offer are zero hours, what options do people have? Or if 10% of the jobs on offer are zero hours, that reduces your pool of good jobs on offer by 10%. We're not blessed with a surplus of good job opportunities for entry level roles.

You've agreed that zero hours contracts are abhorrent. So why not actually oppose them rather than tacitly accepting them?

10 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Fair enough. I'm trying to be as difficult as others on this thread by splitting hairs.

It's not that people are forced. But if the only jobs on offer are zero hours, what options do people have? Or if 10% of the jobs on offer are zero hours, that reduces your pool of good jobs on offer by 10%. We're not blessed with a surplus of good job opportunities for entry level roles.

You've agreed that zero hours contracts are abhorrent. So why not actually oppose them rather than tacitly accepting them?

If you think worker's rights are bad now, just wait until after Brexit!

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

If you think worker's rights are bad now, just wait until after Brexit!

Are we really going to do away with the current working laws and regulations, just because we are leaving the EU? 

14 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

You've agreed that zero hours contracts are abhorrent.

Are they, though?.

I haven't looked for recent data but I'm sure a couple of years ago, most people on zero hours contracts liked them (70 -80%) and didn't want any more hours.

I get that the left of politics hate them but surely there should be an evidence based approach as to whether they are fit for purpose in the modern economy and if people are happy with them in practice. Let's face it, Corbyn would be against them for ideological reasons even if 100% loved being on them.

Archived