The Politics Thread 2019

Day

4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

At last we agree on something 

No response to the rest of the post I notice.

Anything to do with the fact that you was factually incorrect and passing off complete guesswork as fact?

Incoming insults expected in 3,2,1

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Just so we done lose focus on politicians true motivations, here is 9 years of Public Sector starting salaries.

Police
2010 - £25k
2019 - £19k - 23% decrease

Teacher
2010 - £21.5k
2019 - £22k - nearly a 2.5% increase

Nurse
2010 - £22k
2019 - £22k - 0

MP's
2010 - £66k
2019 - £79k - almost a 20% increase...

I can spot the problem, can you?

Yes, you're passing off a regurgitated viral tweet from last year as fact in 2019. First Wikepedia and now this, today. You OK, Hun?

https://fullfact.org/economy/pay-rises-how-much-do-nurses-police-teachers-and-mps-get-paid/

Besides, MP's pay isn't set by MP's and is calculated based on average public sector pay rises, so it can't be true that public sector pay isn't increasing.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

May be wildly wrong here but I though the hedge fund invested in emerging markets so not sure what relevance this has to Brexit?

Hedge funds will invest wherever they think there is money to be made!

It may not be relevant to Brexit - but there is a marked upwards projectory since June 2016

The only facts on record are that (until July 2019) JRM and was being paid £170k per year to advise this fund where to invest, whilst simultaneously being a hard Brexit pusher

It could just be coincidence, but you have to admit that there is a potential conflict of interests going on

Just now, Van Wolfie said:

Yes, you're passing off a regurgitated viral tweet from last year as fact in 2019. First Wikepedia and now this, today. You OK, Hun?

https://fullfact.org/economy/pay-rises-how-much-do-nurses-police-teachers-and-mps-get-paid/

Besides, MP's pay isn't set by MP's and is calculated based on average public sector pay rises, so it can't be true that public sector pay isn't increasing.

Yeap, I am.  Read the link, all have had a pay drop, in real terms.  Except MP's  That's the point.

Police have had the largest real wage drop—around £4,300 in eight years. Newly qualified teachers now earn around £2,500 less, followed by newly qualified nurses whose wages have dropped by £1,900. MPs' salaries have effectively risen in line with inflation.  Using our inflation calculation they got a slight pay reduction of £50, though if you do the calculation slightly differently it comes out as a marginal pay rise.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Yeap, I am.  Read the link, all have had a pay drop, in real terms.  Except MP's  That's the point.

I've read the link, thanks very much. But if you stop posting fake news for a minute and do some proper research, you'd know that nurses should all have received 3% rise in 2019 and some have had a 29% increase.

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

A raise? I'd love to play poker against you.

One is a LibDem candidate who will very likely now be de-selected. The other one is the the principal financial backer for Kippers and Nigel Farage.

If your whataboutism wasn't so pathetic and predictable, it would be almost laughable.

Just now, Montgolfier said:

A raise? I'd love to play poker against you.

One is a LibDem candidate who will very likely now be de-selected. The other one is the the principal financial backer for Kippers and Nigel Farage.

If your whataboutism wasn't so pathetic and predictable, it would be almost laughable.

Just pointing out that as the clock ticks down the level of hysteria is being raised on both sides.  

15 minutes ago, Montgolfier said:

I would be interested if any Brexiteers posting on here support the above quote, published by Leave.eu today.

Support in what way? 

It's a pretty silly question.

Did you support Remainers using the memory of a dead MP to attack BJ for trying to deliver Brexit?

No, of course you didnt. So why would you assume Brexiteers would support comments by someone else just because they voted Leave?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wow. Didnt think even the most ardent Remainers on here would try and justify it.

Yet I'm not surprised at Brexit supporters cynically using someone killed by their extremists to promote themselves. But then again if they can convince themselves that Rees-Mogg and BoJo are on their side, they'll swallow anything. 

Just now, GboroRam said:

Yet I'm not surprised at Brexit supporters cynically using someone killed by their extremists to promote themselves. But then again if they can convince themselves that Rees-Mogg and BoJo are on their side, they'll swallow anything. 

Wow, you're really scraping the barrel now. I honestly pity you if you think it was justifiable. I think it is the most shameful act I've ever witnessed in Parliament. I will leave it at that though.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

So that would seem to indicate that he voted with the intention of putting honouring the result of the Referendum before making these vast personal profits that some posters are suggesting that he stands to make?

Dunno, you can spin it however you want to be honest. Personally I see it as a politician who talked himself into a corner and at that moment had to choose one way. Others would say those Brexiteers who voted for the deal in that vote knew by doing so they were scuppering May’s Leadership by taking No Deal off the table for her (the deal or remain line makes her weak against opposition). Essentially it’s poor negotiators making it up as they go along.

With the hedge fund stuff, it’s no surprise that someone very rich is going to make sure they will gain no matter what happens. But no matter whichever way he votes, it’s public knowledge and a huge conflict of interest. It should have relevancy every time he speaks on brexit, when he goes with Boris Johnson to prorogue parliament and every time he votes.

Just now, TuffLuff said:

With the hedge fund stuff, it’s no surprise that someone very rich is going to make sure they will gain no matter what happens. But no matter whichever way he votes, it’s public knowledge and a huge conflict of interest. It should have relevancy every time he speaks on brexit, when he goes with Boris Johnson to prorogue parliament and every time he votes.

What is public knowledge? And where is the evidence?

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What is public knowledge? And where is the evidence?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnsons-donor-crispin-odey-eyes-brexit-jackpot-with-300m-bet-against-british-firms-0lwjbnqsn

Here's an article from a newspaper - not the Guardian but a proper pro-Brexit newspaper owned by the multi-billionaire Rupert Murdoch.

It's behind a paywall though, so you'll have to pay some money to the dirty old scrote if you want to read it.

9 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnsons-donor-crispin-odey-eyes-brexit-jackpot-with-300m-bet-against-british-firms-0lwjbnqsn

Here's an article from a newspaper - not the Guardian but a proper pro-Brexit newspaper owned by the multi-billionaire Rupert Murdoch.

It's behind a paywall though, so you'll have to pay some money to the dirty old scrote if you want to read it.

Not paying to read it, is any of it about JRM?

I'm not disputing that there will be people who profit from Brexit. 

I'm sure there will be also people, related to the Leave campaign, that will benefit handsomely if we Remain in the EU.

That's business.

Archived