The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Fair enough. I'm trying to be as difficult as others on this thread by splitting hairs.

It's not that people are forced. But if the only jobs on offer are zero hours, what options do people have? Or if 10% of the jobs on offer are zero hours, that reduces your pool of good jobs on offer by 10%. We're not blessed with a surplus of good job opportunities for entry level roles.

You've agreed that zero hours contracts are abhorrent. So why not actually oppose them rather than tacitly accepting them?

I do completely oppose them.

Surely an effective way of opposing something is by boycotting it?

Understand it's easy for me to say if it doesnt affect me though.

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

Are we really going to do away with the current working laws and regulations, just because we are leaving the EU? 

Yes.  The tories hate the fact that if you are employed, you have holiday rights, sick pay, mat/pat pay, pensions.  Thatcher tried to block the EU from making it a right that all full time workers have a minimum 20 days paid holiday's that excluded Bank/Public holidays, they opposed the minimum wage, if anyone believes the election pledge to make it £10.50, don't forget to read the next line, 'over the term of the next parliament'.  The list is endless.  Yes, they have stated that all these will remain, however I trust politicians as much as I trust the police.

6 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

For all you Emu's here is a link to all the W's regarding Zero Hour contract's.  The list of who uses them was quite shocking.

They may not be forced, however they may have no choice, as said before, people need to put food on the table, and not everyone has a choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-hour_contract

Not had time to read in full but from a quick scan, 2.9% of employed workforce affected, 1/3rd of them class themselves as full time workers (working over 30 hours per week) and 2/3rds are happy with hours they work.

That leaves approx 1% of the employed workforce unhappy with their contract.

Whilst this should be 0%, it maybe shows that the problem is not yet too widespread.

There are also no stats (from what I have read) relating to what effect the contracts are used to the employees benefit ie not having to accept work.

17 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

You said he has no chance of getting elected - what can I say...we all moan about the current state of politics, yet people continue with the ad hominem attacks on Corbyn. The one politician who actually wants to change things.

But I know I won't change the minds of those who have long since decided that they hate him. Luckily it's not actually about him. The Labour project is much bigger than one man and change is coming whether people like it or not.

Consider your chain yanked. Laughing emojis GO

I use the laughing emojis to show that we are in the pub and this supposed to be light-hearted ….??

You see … what you said is the problem - he has turned Labour into a 'project', a movement …. not a serious Govt in waiting.?️

I am very suspicious of a 'movement' that routinely chants the name of the leader.?

The Tory Govt has been eye-wateringly sausage dealing with BREXIT … and Corbyn has Labour cruising in the polls on a mighty 22%. I know polls are often a load of old rubbish, but I have a feeling that the 22% is actually optimistic.?

I still don't know what the Labour policy is for BREXIT. ??

12 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

more than likely...I hope I am wrong, so may be not do away but water them down for sure

Project fear at its finest.

7 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Yes.  The tories hate the fact that if you are employed, you have holiday rights, sick pay, mat/pat pay, pensions.  Thatcher tried to block the EU from making it a right that all full time workers have a minimum 20 days paid holiday's that excluded Bank/Public holidays, they opposed the minimum wage, if anyone believes the election pledge to make it £10.50, don't forget to read the next line, 'over the term of the next parliament'.  The list is endless.  Yes, they have stated that all these will remain, however I trust politicians as much as I trust the police.

Simple, if people dont like their policies, vote them out at the next General Election.

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

Are we really going to do away with the current working laws and regulations, just because we are leaving the EU? 

When you look at the main people behind Leave, it seems a fair assumption. It wouldn't have been a very effective bus slogan though and bringing this up was dismissed as 'project fear'.

If the opinions polls turn out to be correct, and Johnson gets a majority because "he got Brexit done", the austerity of a more moderate Tory party may look like the golden years.

Under his eye.

14 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Wow. 

Despite the worst conditions for working people in my lifetime, despite the fact that workers have to accept zero hours contracts, that workers in places like sports direct aren't allowed toilet breaks - we're still parroting the fear of the unions? 

I hope you don't forget to doff your cap to the boss in the morning. You know, show you know your place. 

I agree with your points.

But JC being pants means nothing will change.

Got to be in Govt to change stuff.

The Rams could pack PP every Saturday, we could all be waving massive flags and wearing the new shirt and singing our little hearts out, but if the team gets whupped 3-0 every match … going nowhere.

2 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Oh come on, that is just the newspapers picking on Labour.

Their policy has been quite clear throughout.

Corbyn sees the EU as a Frankenstein type monster.

They clearly stated in their manifesto that they would honour the result of the Referendum. 

Actually, they think another Referendum would be a good idea.

Actually, they will only do that if we get a deal.

Actually, they are going to get a deal and then campaign against it.

Now which part is it that is confusing you?

20 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

For all you Emu's here is a link to all the W's regarding Zero Hour contract's.  The list of who uses them was quite shocking.

They may not be forced, however they may have no choice, as said before, people need to put food on the table, and not everyone has a choice.

No Emu emoji … gutted

So you will have to have a chicken instead

?

18 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

more than likely...I hope I am wrong, so may be not do away but water them down for sure

13 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

When you look at the main people behind Leave, it seems a fair assumption. It wouldn't have been a very effective bus slogan though and bringing this up was dismissed as 'project fear'.

If the opinions polls turn out to be correct, and Johnson gets a majority because "he got Brexit done", the austerity of a more moderate Tory party may look like the golden years.

Under his eye.

You all believe that the Tories would be able to reduce workers rights and get it through parliament? Maybe I'm just naive ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

No recent posts of yours has been removed, as far as I can tell. 

I've got a notification that you reacted to a post of mine but when I click on it, the post (Mad Max related sarcasm) isn't there. Maybe a glitch then?

2 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I've got a notification that you reacted to a post of mine but when I click on it, the post (Mad Max related sarcasm) isn't there. Maybe a glitch then?

You mean this one? 

37 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Yes, it's going to be like Mad Max on 1st November. Only with more rain.

It's still there, maybe @David can have a look? 

25 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Take no deal off the table  (DONE ✔️)

Then negotiate a new deal that protects people's rights

Then put that new deal back to the people in a 2nd referendum vs remain

It's all about letting the people have their say (on an achievable deal)

What's wrong with that?

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

You all believe that the Tories would be able to reduce workers rights and get it through parliament? Maybe I'm just naive ?‍♂️

No I don't, however that will not stop them trying.  I cannot see any party have a working majority.  Look at the current situation, Johnson is a glove puppet PM, elected by less than 100k tory blue bloods, the cronies that see the working class as a commodity.  He is driving the UK off a cliff, and ERG and associated disaster capitalists will all benefit, whilst the next two generations pick up the pieces.

38 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Typical condescending style I see, but I'm amused by the irony that using Google is somehow beneath you but you are happy to quote Wikipedia to back up an argument.

Archived