The Politics Thread 2019

Day

12 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Hate the man by all means, but surely only the most bloody-minded football fan would disagree with this particular policy?

Makes sense to me.

To be honest, I'd much rather see football clubs entirely fan owned.  Like they do on much of the continent.  The whole obscenely wealthy owner model makes a nonsense of the sport really. 

And the Premier League was never a good idea.  Not for the football fan anyway. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I think the Daily Mail have spectacularly failed to read the room here
EGN1zzVXUAAyrl2?format=jpg&name=large

Hate the man by all means, but surely only the most bloody-minded football fan would disagree with this particular policy?

Why is "billionaires" in quotes as if they are not really billionaires owning these clubs, just hard working entrepreneurs us commies all hate.

2 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I think the Daily Mail have spectacularly failed to read the room here
EGN1zzVXUAAyrl2?format=jpg&name=large

Jesus wept!! Increase fan power, what a horrible thought. What would an average fan be expected to bring to the table? Most fans rejoice when a wealthy benefactor starts funding player purchases. Sometimes it goes wrong, that is life.

7 hours ago, bcnram said:

Jesus wept!! Increase fan power, what a horrible thought. What would an average fan be expected to bring to the table? Most fans rejoice when a wealthy benefactor starts funding player purchases. Sometimes it goes wrong, that is life.

FC Barcelona...

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Can't imagine they'll ever be successful if they let the fans have a voice.

They have been member owned from the off, as have Real Madrid and Bilbao. What is Corbyn going to do if he ever raises the red flag over No. 10, just take the clubs from the legitimate owners? It is just pre-election nonsense.

50 minutes ago, bcnram said:

They have been member owned from the off, as have Real Madrid and Bilbao. What is Corbyn going to do if he ever raises the red flag over No. 10, just take the clubs from the legitimate owners? It is just pre-election nonsense.

So you think that football as a sport has been improved by the amount of incredibly rich people buying up clubs, and that the ensuing lack of investment for grass roots football is just an unfortunate by-product. Fair enough, I suspect you’re in the minority but at least be honest about that. You make it sound like you just disagree with it on principle because it’s in Labour’s manifesto

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

I see that irony is not lost on you.

8 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

So you think that football as a sport has been improved by the amount of incredibly rich people buying up clubs, and that the ensuing lack of investment for grass roots football is just an unfortunate by-product. Fair enough, I suspect you’re in the minority but at least be honest about that. You make it sound like you just disagree with it on principle because it’s in Labour’s manifesto

Bing

2 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I think that football as a spectator sport has been enriched by the influx of world  class players. I don’t worry a jot if I am in the minority, as I am sure you wouldn’t either. 
I have never hidden my view that I think Corbyn and his closest allies politics would take this country in the wrong direction. Is this in their manifesto? I didn’t think they had launched one yet. I think it is as I said pre-election nonsense. 

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

It’s about a bit more trickling down to grass roots football than owt else. 

35 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I think that football as a spectator sport has been enriched by the influx of world  class players

You do realise that the quality of a player is not CREATED by the money he cost? There have always been "world class players" since the first international match was played in 1880 or whatever. If your argument is that football as a spectator sport has been enriched by us all having to pay more for it then fair enough

Personally I've never felt so disassociated from the game. It's all about money these days and that's incredibly sad.

41 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I think that football as a spectator sport has been enriched by the influx of world  class players. I don’t worry a jot if I am in the minority, as I am sure you wouldn’t either. 
I have never hidden my view that I think Corbyn and his closest allies politics would take this country in the wrong direction. Is this in their manifesto? I didn’t think they had launched one yet. I think it is as I said pre-election nonsense. 

An even spread of world class players across the European/World leagues would be more beneficial to football in general. Rather than all the best players and wealth concentrating in just one league or two. 

And more of the wealth trickling down to lower divisions in each country would be wise as well. 

13 hours ago, bcnram said:

Don't worry he has no chance of getting elected.

Him posing on his little podium to all his fans is where he is at, not on preparing for Govt.

I think every fan secretly wants a colossally rich benefactor to take over their club. 

God Bless Mel I say.?

33 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

You do realise that the quality of a player is not CREATED by the money he cost? There have always been "world class players" since the first international match was played in 1880 or whatever. If your argument is that football as a spectator sport has been enriched by us all having to pay more for it then fair enough

Personally I've never felt so disassociated from the game. It's all about money these days and that's incredibly sad.

It certainly attracts some of the best players in the World to our shores. As much as I enjoyed watching the best / most successful years Derby have had, Football is better these days (in my very humble opinion of course). 

56 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

It’s about a bit more trickling down to grass roots football than owt else. 

I think we would all like a more cohesive plan for improving coaching and facilities for grassroots football. I don’t think that politics should come into it though. 

9 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I think every fan secretly wants a colossally rich benefactor to take over their club. 

God Bless Mel I say.?

Two things. Mel is not "colossally rich"  -if he were, we wouldn't have languished so long in the Championship. He is rich enough to run a football club yes. Colossally rich now.

And secondly, I don’t think that every football fan secretly wants a rich owner. I think every football fan would much rather the sport wasn’t in a position where you need a colossally rich owner to survive

21 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Don't worry he has no chance of getting elected.

Him posing on his little podium to all his fans is where he is at, not on preparing for Govt.

God Bless Mel I say.?

I'm happy we have Mel that's true.  Despite to occasional decision I can't get on board with.

You are probably right, given the current system where clubs can become the plaything of vastly wealthy individuals, most fans probably wish that their club was one of the 'lucky' ones.  But at the same time, I'm sure there are lot of fans that wish, the wealthy owner option wasn't actually an option at all, and that each club/fans would just compete with other clubs/fans without have to compete against oil billionaires and Middle East countries as well. 

Genuinely, no good has come from the Chelsea/Man City model.

Apart from Man Utd feeling miserable about being Manchester's second club I suppose.  Darn it, just defeated my own argument! 

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Two things. Mel is not "colossally rich"  -if he were, we wouldn't have languished so long in the Championship. He is rich enough to run a football club yes. Colossally rich now.

And secondly, I don’t think that every football fan secretly wants a rich owner. I think every football fan would much rather the sport wasn’t in a position where you need a colossally rich owner to survive

I notice you didn't comment on my point on Jezza ….?

We would all like jumpers for goal posts and Auntie Lil washing the kit … but the horse has bolted.

I heard a piece on the radio a few years ago in which they attacked the huge wages footballers attracted …. the final comment was left to a sports lawyer from the USA who essentially said ' you ain't seen nothing yet.'

Again, Thank God for Mel - we may have 'languished' in the Championship, but we have done so without worrying about not being able to pay the cleaners, and I have seen the sense in most of his decisions.

Archived