The Politics Thread 2019

Day

I think that Johnson's bluff has now been called, and the 'negotiations' are about to collapse.

The blame game is now in full swing, and I fully expect the anti-EU rhetoric (aka 'blind hatred') to ramp up a notch or two in the Mail, Sun and Express over the next couple of days.

I'm glad I got my German beer order through last week, because without a deal, all imports will immediately attract VAT...

VAT on goods entering the UK as parcels sent by overseas businesses

If the UK leaves the EU without an agreement, VAT will be payable on goods entering the UK as parcels sent by overseas businesses.

The government set out in the Customs Bill White Paper (published October 2017) that Low Value Consignment Relief (LVCR) will not be extended to goods entering the UK from the EU. This note confirms that if the UK leaves the EU without an agreement then LVCR will no longer apply to any parcels arriving in the UK, this aligns the UK with the global direction of travel on LVCR. This means that all goods entering the UK as parcels sent by overseas businesses will be liable for VAT (unless they are already relieved from VAT under domestic rules, for example zero-rated children’s clothing).

For parcels valued up to and including £135, a technology-based solution will allow VAT to be collected from the overseas business selling the goods into the UK. Overseas businesses will charge VAT at the point of purchase and will be expected to register with an HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) digital service and account for VAT due.

The digital service is an online registration, accounting, and payments service for overseas businesses. On registration, businesses will be provided with a Unique Identifier which will accompany the parcels they send in to the UK. They will then declare the VAT due on those parcels and pay this via their online account. This ensures the process of paying VAT on parcels does not become burdensome for UK consumers and businesses. To give overseas businesses sufficient time to familiarise themselves with their new obligations, the online service will be available for businesses to register in early 2019, before the UK leaves the EU.

On goods worth more than £135 sent as parcels VAT will continue to be collected from UK recipients in line with current procedures for parcels from non-EU countries, guidance on these procedures can be found here in HMRC notice 143. VAT will also continue to be collected in line with current procedures for all excise goods sent as parcels and potentially in cases where their supplier is not compliant with HMRC’s new parcels policy. HMRC is working with the relevant industry stakeholders and will provide further information in due course.

Note - this seems to have major ramifications for Ebay, Amazon etc too.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Turning that question round to "what do they have to gain from leaving without a deal?" and posing it to Farage, Banks, Rees-Mogg, Johnson, Odey and the other disaster capitalists would be interesting.

The absolute determination to leave without a deal fills me with dread. I honestly believe these people would trash this country to line their pockets.

People say Corbyn would take us back to the 1970's, these spivs would take us back to the 1870's.

Yes I agree it would be interesting but, well at least in terms of Johnson and Rees Mogg, they have previously voted to leave with a deal, so not sure making money from a no deal Brexit is a stick you could beat them with.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes I agree it would be interesting but, well at least in terms of Johnson and Rees Mogg, they have previously voted to leave with a deal, so not sure making money from a no deal Brexit is a stick you could beat them with.

It could be argued that they knew they would lose that vote, so it could well be argued that they were just doing it as a career move.

Seeing as Boris got the PM job and Rees-Mogg became 'leader of the house', it seems to have worked out pretty well for them under the circumstances.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Mogg's voting record.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24926/jacob_rees-mogg/north_east_somerset/divisions?policy=6761

Voted to leave without a deal, then two days later changed his mind, as it didn't benefit him.

Same poo from Muppet boy.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10999/boris_johnson/uxbridge_and_south_ruislip/divisions?policy=6761

53 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think Rees-Mogg is balls deep in making money from a no deal, didn't he shift his hedge fund business to Ireland so it wouldn't suffer a crash when we leave?

Johnson is the front man for the big boys imo. He will do as he's told by the power brokers behind the scenes. Imagine how much dirt they must have on him! The Tory grandee Lord Ashcroft destroying David Cameron with the pig's head story will be seen as nothing when they turn on Boris!

Just so we done lose focus on politicians true motivations, here is 9 years of Public Sector starting salaries.

Police
2010 - £25k
2019 - £19k - 23% decrease

Teacher
2010 - £21.5k
2019 - £22k - nearly a 2.5% increase

Nurse
2010 - £22k
2019 - £22k - 0

MP's
2010 - £66k
2019 - £79k - almost a 20% increase...

I can spot the problem, can you?

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Mogg's voting record.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24926/jacob_rees-mogg/north_east_somerset/divisions?policy=6761

Voted to leave without a deal, then two days later changed his mind, as it didn't benefit him.

Same poo from Muppet boy.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10999/boris_johnson/uxbridge_and_south_ruislip/divisions?policy=6761

37 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I think Rees-Mogg is balls deep in making money from a no deal, didn't he shift his hedge fund business to Ireland so it wouldn't suffer a crash when we leave?

Johnson is the front man for the big boys imo. He will do as he's told by the power brokers behind the scenes. Imagine how much dirt they must have on him! The Tory grandee Lord Ashcroft destroying David Cameron with the pig's head story will be seen as nothing when they turn on Boris!

Right I'm getting a little confused here.

@McRamFan has said that he voted to leave with a deal as leaving without a deal didnt benefit him.

@uttoxram75 has said that he is balls deep in making money from no deal.

So, which one is it?

Or could it be that nobody really knows and are just regurgitating things from the media?

My understanding was that he was a salaried adviser for Somerset Capital Management but had to leave the role when he became a minister. More than happy to be corrected if this is incorrect.

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Right I'm getting a little confused here.

@McRamFan has said that he voted to leave with a deal as leaving without a deal didnt benefit him.

@uttoxram75 has said that he is balls deep in making money from no deal.

So, which one is it?

Or could it be that nobody really knows and are just regurgitating things from the media?

My understanding was that he was a salaried adviser for Somerset Capital Management but had to leave the role when he became a minister. More than happy to be corrected if this is incorrect.

Would have thought that someone working in the financial sector might have the nous to check this out himself without being spoon-fed

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/OC327862/SOMERSET-CAPITAL-MANAGEMENT-LLP/companies-house-data

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And what do you think you have proved there just out of interest?

That Rees-Mogg remains a director of SCM and that he therefore stands to profit should the firm do so. What is it that you feel I have failed to prove just out of interest?

Edit - in other words, 'advisory role' or otherwise, the original point made still stands

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And what do you think you have proved there just out of interest?

You said

My understanding was that he was a salaried adviser for Somerset Capital Management but had to leave the role when he became a minister.

He has linked you to the Companies house record that proves your understanding to be incorrect on two counts

1) JRM is a Director - not a "salaried advisor

2) he did not leave - he is still a director

You then said

More than happy to be corrected if this is incorrect.

Except you don't seem very "happy" about being corrected?

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

You said

He has linked you to the Companies house record that proves your understanding to be incorrect on two counts

You then said

For clarity, Rees-Mogg did have to leave his formal role once appointed Leader of the House, in "accordance with the Ministerial Code.” The point I'm making is that as a director of the company, that hardly stands to prevent him 'advising privately' nor directly profiting as his salary would be buttons in comparison to what he stands to make by 'other means'.

What's his face won't agree but then how can he really as my point completely refutes his.

Request for endless citations on 3,2,1....

15 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

That Rees-Mogg remains a director of SCM and that he therefore stands to profit should the firm do so. What is it that you feel I have failed to prove just out of interest?

Edit - in other words, 'advisory role' or otherwise, the original point made still stands

LLPs do not have directors, I would have thought with the tone of your smugness in your first post you would have known this.

I am sure you will also understand that had he been a director of a limited company that would also have been no guarantee of him standing to profit. Most directors are salaried. He could of course profit from any bonuses paid. Also were he a shareholder he could profit from dividends or share options.

Anyway, I digress.

Any chance of seeing the evidence that he stands to benefit?

14 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

You said

You then said

Please see the above. 

7 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

For clarity, Rees-Mogg did have to leave his formal role once appointed Leader of the House, in "accordance with the Ministerial Code.” The point I'm making is that as a director of the company, that hardly stands to prevent him 'advising privately' nor directly profiting as his salary would be buttons in comparison to what he stands to make by 'other means'.

What's his face won't agree but then how can he really as my point completely refutes his.

Request for endless citations on 3,2,1....

So without any evidence you are suggesting that he will still be paid by 'other means'? 

I'm not saying he will or will  not benefit from any sort of Brexit as I have absolutely no idea.

I was questioning the previous posts where 1 poster stated he had voted to leave with a deal because it benefited him, and 1 poster stated he was balls deep in money from a no deal Brexit. Very contradictory posts just highlighting that nobody knows the situation and just use guesswork to slander anyone that voted Leave. 

Once again, happy for you to point out anything that I said which is incorrect and can be factually evidenced to be wrong.

6 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Bold answer but easier said then done for some of us, EU residents cannot vote in the General Elections. Local government we can.

Why do you believe that you should have the right to vote on an election in a country that you do not live in?

Also interesting that JRM did resign 3 Directorships in July - I wonder why he kept the Somerset one?

Let's have a look at his registered interests for the past 12 months

17 September 2018, received £15,032.76. Hours: 30 hrs in September 2018. (Registered 15 October 2018)
15 November 2018, received £15,028.30. Hours: 30 hrs in November 2018. (Registered 11 December 2018)
15 December 2018, received £21,735.49. Hours: 30 hrs in December 2018. (Registered 07 January 2019)
15 October 2018, received £15,027.97. Hours: 30 hrs in October 2018. (Registered 15 January 2019)
15 January 2019, received £15,043.46. Hours: 30 hrs work in January 2019. (Registered 14 February 2019)
15 February 2019, received £15,031.52. Hours: 30 hrs during February 2019. (Registered 07 March 2019)
15 March 2019, received £15,030.73. Hours: 30 hrs in March 2019. (Registered 04 April 2019)
15 April 2019, received £15,453.91. Hours: 30 hrs in April 2019. (Registered 07 May 2019)
14 May 2019, received £15,448.92. Hours: 30 hrs in May 2019. (Registered 03 June 2019)
17 June 2019, received £15,450.07. Hours: 25 hrs in June 2019. (Registered 03 July 2019)
15 July 2019, received £15,469.91. Hours: 20 hrs in July 2019. (Registered 12 August 2019)

He's been paid circa £173k for about 300 hours work (about 7 weeks FTE for the like of you and me). That's on top of his MP salary

I wonder what his "work" entails. Oh hang on - it goes on to say

As a client of Somerset Capital Management (SCM), I provide services to The Chestnut Fund, an investment fund

Right so this is the performance of the Chestnut Fund

https://markets.ft.com/data/funds/tearsheet/charts?s=GB00B3KMPP66:GBP

Note that it seems to have been going from strength to strength since mid 2016. What happened in mid 2016, remind me?

I also wonder why Somerset Holdings are registered in the Caymans*?

*I lie - I do not wonder this

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Also interesting that JRM did resign 3 Directorships in July - I wonder why he kept the Somerset one?

Let's have a look at his registered interests for the past 12 months

He's been paid circa £173k for about 300 hours work (about 7 weeks FTE for the like of you and me). That's on top of his MP salary

I wonder what his "work" entails. Oh hang on - it goes on to say

Right so this is the performance of the Chestnut Fund

https://markets.ft.com/data/funds/tearsheet/charts?s=GB00B3KMPP66:GBP

Note that it seems to have been going from strength to strength since mid 2016. What happened in mid 2016, remind me?

I also wonder why Somerset Holdings are registered in the Caymans*?

*I lie - I do not wonder 

I think directorships have to be given up but membership of LLPs is allowable as long as there is no element of control over decision making.

As mentioned in another post directorship/LLP membership are different things.

May be wildly wrong here but I though the hedge fund invested in emerging markets so not sure what relevance this has to Brexit?

Archived