Game of Thrones Season 8

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Huge credit to Ramin Djawadi. His scores have been brilliant throughout the show and I think last night was his best yet. The tension he created at the end was incredible.

Spoilers: Yeah, I really did think someone has to do something, they are clearly all gonna die. The music had a big part in that. 

I thought the only way they can really get out of this now is if someone kills the night king. But I really didn’t think that was going to happen in this episode. So I was thinking the only possible out come is that one or two survivors might appear from the rubble in the next episode, but that’s about it. 

I was kind of disappointed the night king was killed. But I guess it all added to the surprise of it. All this build up to the longest night, he’s been marching south for 7 and a bit series, and it’s essentially over in an episode. I’m kind of hoping there’ll be some more explanation about his motivations, his connection with the 3 eyed raven, etc. still to come, although can’t fathom how the shadow of the night king might loom over the next few episodes, but I hope it does (maybe bran = night king comes to pass or something). 

Also, I was just saying to my wife, it’s lucky the night kings occupied, otherwise he could resurrect all the fallen, all those Dothraki and unsullied, and then they’d be proper ducked... and then he goes and does it. That’s when I truly thought, they ain’t getting out of this one. 

In the end, my other slight disappointment is that so many did get out of it. But I can live with that. 

Gonna watch it again when the kids go to bed. Slightly different experience than watching it at 6am with the kids screaming for someone to wipe their bums. 

38 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Spoilers: Yeah, I really did think someone has to do something, they are clearly all gonna die. The music had a big part in that. 

I thought the only way they can really get out of this now is if someone kills the night king. But I really didn’t think that was going to happen in this episode. So I was thinking the only possible out come is that one or two survivors might appear from the rubble in the next episode, but that’s about it. 

I was kind of disappointed the night king was killed. But I guess it all added to the surprise of it. All this build up to the longest night, he’s been marching south for 7 and a bit series, and it’s essentially over in an episode. I’m kind of hoping there’ll be some more explanation about his motivations, his connection with the 3 eyed raven, etc. still to come, although can’t fathom how the shadow of the night king might loom over the next few episodes, but I hope it does (maybe bran = night king comes to pass or something). 

Also, I was just saying to my wife, it’s lucky the night kings occupied, otherwise he could resurrect all the fallen, all those Dothraki and unsullied, and then they’d be proper ducked... and then he goes and does it. That’s when I truly thought, they ain’t getting out of this one. 

In the end, my other slight disappointment is that so many did get out of it. But I can live with that. 

Gonna watch it again when the kids go to bed. Slightly different experience than watching it at 6am with the kids screaming for someone to wipe their bums. 

SPOILERS

I feel exactly the same.

It was a great episode but I was a little disappointed that the Night King never progressed beyond the voiceless, pretty-much motiveless supernatural being that he has been from the start. I’d find it so much more interesting if someone had to replace him as a way of keeping the balance, but it seems not. I think GRRM (the author of A Song of Ice and Fire) does a much better job of making characters more rounded than the show writers, but I’ve resigned myself to never seeing him finish the books. I did love the Night King’s death though as Arya is such a ducking badass. And, as shallow as the Night King was as a character, he was also a great villain purely because of how threatening he seemed. 

It’s a little strange that, for the last few seasons, all those who knew of the threat of the Night King have essentially been saying that the war with Cersei is irrelevant. It also seems a little irrelevant to me, considering how dark and brutal last night’s battle was compared to sunny King’s Landing. I always thought that the battle with the Night King would be the ultimate climax to an amazing story, but it’s been cut off halfway through the final season. They’re really going to have to put some work in to make Cersei seem comparable in threat level threat to the Night King, otherwise the final three episodes risk coming across as a little insignificant.

I’m also the same in that I expected, and I suppose wanted, more beloved characters to die. Again, the fact that the vast majority survived belittles this battle a bit in the grand scheme of things. I thought that this battle was always supposed to be the battle.

I still loved it last night though.

31 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

SPOILERS

I feel exactly the same.

It was a great episode but I was a little disappointed that the Night King never progressed beyond the voiceless, pretty-much motiveless supernatural being that he has been from the start. I’d find it so much more interesting if someone had to replace him as a way of keeping the balance, but it seems not. I think GRRM (the author of A Song of Ice and Fire) does a much better job of making characters more rounded than the show writers, but I’ve resigned myself to never seeing him finish the books. I did love the Night King’s death though as Arya is such a ducking badass. And, as shallow as the Night King was as a character, he was also a great villain purely because of how threatening he seemed. 

It’s a little strange that, for the last few seasons, all those who knew of the threat of the Night King have essentially been saying that the war with Cersei is irrelevant. It also seems a little irrelevant to me, considering how dark and brutal last night’s battle was compared to sunny King’s Landing. I always thought that the battle with the Night King would be the ultimate climax to an amazing story, but it’s been cut off halfway through the final season. They’re really going to have to put some work in to make Cersei seem comparable in threat level threat to the Night King, otherwise the final three episodes risk coming across as a little insignificant.

I’m also the same in that I expected, and I suppose wanted, more beloved characters to die. Again, the fact that the vast majority survived belittles this battle a bit in the grand scheme of things. I thought that this battle was always supposed to be the battle.

I still loved it last night though.

I can’t see Cersei and her hired, elephantless army being half as threatening as the undead hordes and a dragon. 

I’m going to give the writers some credit though. They must know this is an issue and have a plan for it. The last three episodes can’t just be dead rubbers, there’s a twist or two still to come I’m sure  

Having said that, the episode before this one was among the best ever. Maybe it’s not all about a massive climactic battle at the end, maybe it’s more character driven. 

Brienne definitely should have been a goner though, and grey worm. I had money on those guys. They had come to the natural end of their arcs. You can’t get away with making plans to sail away into the sunset after a battle and survive it. Nor can you have your hearts greatest desire granted to you the day before a battle and hope to survive. 

So where do they go from here? I’m desperate to see the next one now to see what the fallout actually is.

also, but criticism, where the duck is ghost. Just the occasional glimpse of him. Jon hasn’t even said hello to him. He ran off with Jorah and may quite possibly be dead off screen, which I’d be very annoyed about. He needed to be jumping in at the end and ripping that dragons throat out or something (oo, the symbolism, dire wolf vs dragon, I should write the ducking scripts). 

12 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

also, but criticism, where the duck is ghost. Just the occasional glimpse of him. Jon hasn’t even said hello to him. He ran off with Jorah and may quite possibly be dead off screen, which I’d be very annoyed about.

Hope I'm not spoiling but if you look closely he's in the trailer for ep4 apparently.

13 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

He needed to be jumping in at the end and ripping that dragons throat out or something (oo, the symbolism, dire wolf vs dragon, I should write the ducking scripts). 

yes you should!

As mentioned earlier in the thread I'm not the biggest GoT fan but have watched all the episodes, last nights show felt underwhelming not just because the bad guy didn't actually do much and got killed off rather to easily but other characters that have had major roles seem to have been poorly handled by the writers.

I found this article earlier that asks a couple of questions I have;

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-3-questions//

Great episode.

Like many of you guys though I expected more from the night king...even just 2 cryptic words to Bran might have been enough! I kind of feel like he isn’t done yet. Maybe whatever Bran was looking at just before he arrived will be an interesting part.

Surely now they can just use their final dragon to destroy Cersei and crew though...

I think it was the right move for the show. In my eyes. The show for me is about the human search for power through political motives, via deception or fight. The White Walkers were always the distant threat but they weren’t the concentrated storyline of the show. Cersei is the “evil”, and I think the huge impending battle In episode 5 will be fantastic.

If I had to have a punt, Gendry will sit on the iron throne.. 

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Hope I'm not spoiling but if you look closely he's in the trailer for ep4 apparently.

yes you should!

As mentioned earlier in the thread I'm not the biggest GoT fan but have watched all the episodes, last nights show felt underwhelming not just because the bad guy didn't actually do much and got killed off rather to easily but other characters that have had major roles seem to have been poorly handled by the writers.

I found this article earlier that asks a couple of questions I have;

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-3-questions//

The writing took a nosedive since Martin stepped away to try and finish his books. Alot of the dialogue in episode 2 was awful and super cringey.

Luckily not much was said in episode 3, but everyone apparently now has super thick plot armour - takes any tension away whatsoever when they all survive regardless of the amount of enemies surrounding them.

Also cant see what Daenerys is going to use to fight Cersei. There must only be about 10 guys left in Winterfell.

That was a fantastic battle. I rate that with Helms Deep in LOTR's. The battle sequences are a bonus as far as I'm concerned. The reason why I watched Game of Thrones in the first place was for the character development and political scheming. I think folks forget it's not all about action with the show. There has always been two main storylines, one was the white walker threat, the other the battle for the throne. The night king has been destroyed, now it's all about kicking Cersei's rear end! 

The easiest option for the battle ending would have been a last stand off between the Night King and Jon Snow. Obvious, seen it 1000 times. They tried something different and it paid off for me. Caught me by surprise. I did expect a few more main characters to die in this battle, I guess they're saving these for the next 3 episodes.

Still think Brienne is going to die. Daenerys will not be sitting on the throne. Jaime to kill Cersei. Sansa and Tyrion get married. Bronn still can't get his castle.

Great episode if a little dark to see. I've loved Game of Thrones and am going to miss it. Endgame yesterday, then this today. What a time to be alive.

If it finishes well, I think I'll rate it higher than Breaking Bad. It won't top the Wire though. Nothing ever will.

9 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Not sure if I enjoyed it or not given I spent the first 30 minutes watching a dark screen that occasionally revealed enough to show some kind of battle was happening. 

Yeah. When we bought our telly last year the guy offered an upgrade if we wanted to see more clearly scenes which take place at night. We declined. It seems you have to pay extra now to be able to actually see the service you’re already paying an arm and a leg for!

We too were squinting and assumed there would at least be dramatic music if a major character died!

Archived