Game of Thrones Season 8

DarkFruitsRam7

8 hours ago, Ramshankered said:

Apparently this is how GRRM envisioned the books ending. So the core story beats are true to his vision (allegedly). The execution though...is a total letdown.

I'm of the impression that if GRRM had written it, it would've a) paced way better and b) be far more plausible / subtle / nuanced when certain characters start becoming more villainous. 

I would agree the main plot points will probably be the same, but the detail will be (and is) garbage. GRRM has said he is a little upset that a lot of the secondary characters storylines have changed so much or just been cut completely. Plus all the below are quotes from him - I don't think he is as happy as people would assume about the tv show.

"Of course you have an emotional reaction. I mean, would I prefer they do it exactly the way I did it? Sure." - GRRM

"It can also be... traumatic. Because sometimes their creative vision and your creative vision don't match, and you get the famous creative differences thing — that leads to a lot of conflict." - GRRM

"You get totally extraneous things like the studio or the network weighing in, and they have some particular thing that has nothing to do with story, but relates to 'Well this character has a very high Q Rating so let's give him a lot more stuff to do.'" - GRRM

"You know, it’s complex. I’m a little sad, actually. I wish we had a few more seasons." -GRRM

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'm enjoying it.

We've been rewatching earlier series and I have to say the stuff with Stannis Baratheon is insufferably bad and really spoils quite a few episodes from 3 and 4. Similarly with the three-eyed raven stuff. I wouldn't necessarily have thought that had I not rewatched them.

My point is, I suppose, that some stuff is just not as good as we remember.

And all that stuff with Ayra and the many faces people went on forever too!

Maybe the biggest surprise in GOT is that it's not true that this is the last series. Get ready for another 4 seasons!

Or that Ned is actually still alive.

Would be cool if they found a portal to our world and Danny become PM and sorts out Brexit.

12 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Well that last episode was rubbish. 

I was pleased Dany has finally taken the advice she was given last series: "be a dragon". Thank goodness or we'll never have got anywhere. It shows up how rubbish the aerial dragon stuff was before allowing themselves to be killed so easily. The stuff with Clegane and the Mountain was good. The stuff with Clegane and Arya was good. The rest of the Arya stuff was frankly bizarre. Is it like the Sixth Sense and she's actually dead and that white charger was carrying her off to some sort of Game of Thrones Valhalla?

I'll stop there for now before too many spoilers. It was always going to be the problem with the series that by killing the terrifying supernatural baddie at the start, the remaining battles were going to be a lot easier and with far less tension. Seemed a strange decision. One episode to go. Is there even an iron throne left?

59 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Really didn’t enjoy that. Rushed.

Yeah ?

*MINOR SPOILERS*

Characters seem to have either forgotten who they are or been killed off really cheaply - feels badly written and rushed to reach a conclusion.

The plot for this had been leaked online last week, as has next weeks - I read both ?.  Personally, I find it to be a disappointing end to a show that started so brightly.  But as I've mentioned before I'm not the biggest GoT fan so your mileage may vary!

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

I thought that was crazy. I can't really say whether I liked it or not because it was so brutal, and it was naturally quite sad that Daenerys became the Mad Queen. I thought Varys' and the Cleganes' deaths were done well but I was a little disappointed by Jamie and Cersei's. I really don't understand why Jamie suddenly turned back to Cersei when they had been building him up as a better man for multiple seasons. I'm a little disappointed by how his character bowed out.

I still think it was amazing though and I look forward to seeing what happens next week. I too got afterlife vibes from the scene with Arya, @Carl Sagan, but I'd imagine she's still alive and it was just used to show the utter destruction that Daenerys had caused. I hope so, as she's my favourite character and I'm glad she rediscovered her humanity with the help of the Hound. 

Well that was a let down. Episode 3 was decent but the rest has been gash. 

Should have sacked the whole kings landing stuff off (Obviously this isn't possible being called 'Game of Thrones' but that storyline has been crap for ages), the white walkers/north was always the better story line. Would have been better to end the series by defeating the dead, not the other way around. 

Well that was ******* dreadful. Did the radar malfunction on the homing ballistas or something? Why the **** do the armies in Westeros keep marching half their guys outside the walls for no discernible reason... Turns out we only sent half the Dothraki off to die in the dark - the other half were just chilling in the keep whilst their comrades were slaughtered. The 20 minute fight between the Mountain and the Hound seemed really weird and out of place as well - unless the Mountain still isn't dead I don't understand why it was so long.

Jaime - goes from one of the most hated characters, redeems himself, becomes one of the most loved, hooks up with Brienne - then lol, no, sorry, bye I'm going back to Cersei now because I didnt actually change at all.

Tyrion - I assume has been hit in the head with multiple bricks? He is nowhere near the witty, intelligent character he was previously. Why the unsullied just willy nilly abandon their posts to let him go in and free his brother I have no idea even if he is the hand of the queen.

Daenerys - last episode - totally fine, mostly reasonable. This episode commits genocide because Jon Snow didn't want to bang his Aunt.

Varys - used to be a master of subterfuge, deception and manipulation. Now I assume he has had his brain smashed to pieces with the same brick that did Tyrion in.

Arya - kills basically everyone on her list, rides hundreds of miles down to Kings Landing, sneaks into the city, walks into the keep. Hound says don't come and she just walks away - ok...

Jon and Davos pretty much the only characters that haven't been completely ruined at this point.

36 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Well that was ******* dreadful. Did the radar malfunction on the homing ballistas or something? Why the **** do the armies in Westeros keep marching half their guys outside the walls for no discernible reason... Turns out we only sent half the Dothraki off to die in the dark - the other half were just chilling in the keep whilst their comrades were slaughtered. The 20 minute fight between the Mountain and the Hound seemed really weird and out of place as well - unless the Mountain still isn't dead I don't understand why it was so long.

Jaime - goes from one of the most hated characters, redeems himself, becomes one of the most loved, hooks up with Brienne - then lol, no, sorry, bye I'm going back to Cersei now because I didnt actually change at all.

Tyrion - I assume has been hit in the head with multiple bricks? He is nowhere near the witty, intelligent character he was previously. Why the unsullied just willy nilly abandon their posts to let him go in and free his brother I have no idea even if he is the hand of the queen.

Daenerys - last episode - totally fine, mostly reasonable. This episode commits genocide because Jon Snow didn't want to bang his Aunt.

Varys - used to be a master of subterfuge, deception and manipulation. Now I assume he has had his brain smashed to pieces with the same brick that did Tyrion in.

Arya - kills basically everyone on her list, rides hundreds of miles down to Kings Landing, sneaks into the city, walks into the keep. Hound says don't come and she just walks away - ok...

Jon and Davos pretty much the only characters that haven't been completely ruined at this point.

It's a good summary except Jon's stupidity really grates. "I don't want the iron throne but I still insist on telling everyone I'm the rightful heir". Because that's not the most stupid thing ever.

Not trolling, just getting that out the way.

I predicted this and could see it coming, Game of Thrones has been massively hyped up through the power of social media to be the best show ever created. 

Problem with that is it’s built up expectations, expectations which would never be fulfilled. There wasn’t ever going to be an ending that was universally liked and enjoyed, became impossible. 

The 2 years between seasons has only added more hype, more expectation, fans have invested so much time into the show, 8 years! 

This is the exact reason I try to avoid hyped up series now, I don’t go into anything with expectations and have enjoyed many good shows, but none that I would go crazy over OMG THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER.

Some will say this is nonsense, claim it’s purely down to a rushed storyline, but you watch any show and you will find nonsense in the storyline which will not ruin your enjoyment because it was never billed up to be something great.

5 minutes ago, David said:

I predicted this and could see it coming, Game of Thrones has been massively hyped up through the power of social media to be the best show ever created. 

Problem with that is it’s built up expectations, expectations which would never be fulfilled. There wasn’t ever going to be an ending that was universally liked and enjoyed, became impossible. 

The 2 years between seasons has only added more hype, more expectation, fans have invested so much time into the show, 8 years! 

This is the exact reason I try to avoid hyped up series now, I don’t go into anything with expectations and have enjoyed many good shows, but none that I would go crazy over OMG THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER.

Some will say this is nonsense, claim it’s purely down to a rushed storyline, but you watch any show and you will find nonsense in the storyline which will not ruin your enjoyment because it was never billed up to be something great.

Its not because its been hyped. The seasons were good when they were based on the material produced by George R.R. Martin. The people currently writing it (D&D) have absolutely no idea what they are doing. Its taken such a down swing in quality this season - dialogue is atrocious, plot lines make no sense or are just completely ignored, character arcs are ruined or ignored and everything feels so rushed. If G.R.R.M had finished his books in time I am almost certain the ending would have been satisfying for the vast majority of viewers/readers. 

I disagree that you will find such poor quality in other major, popular TV series. The only other TV series that came close to this dumpster fire for me was the last season and finale of Lost. There aren't many shows that manage to completely invalidate all their previous seasons or just fall off the edge of a cliff quality wise. D&D could basically have just had this as a standalone season it makes so little sense,

Just now, GenBr said:

Its not because its been hyped. The seasons were good when they were based on the material produced by George R.R. Martin. The people currently writing it (D&D) have absolutely no idea what they are doing. Its taken such a down swing in quality this season - dialogue is atrocious, plot lines make no sense or are just completely ignored, character arcs are ruined or ignored and everything feels so rushed. If G.R.R.M had finished his books in time I am almost certain the ending would have been satisfying for the vast majority of viewers/readers. 

I disagree that you will find such poor quality in other major, popular TV series. The only other TV series that came close to this dumpster fire for me was the last season and finale of Lost. There aren't many shows that manage to completely invalidate all their previous seasons or just fall off the edge of a cliff quality wise. D&D could basically have just had this as a standalone season it makes so little sense,

I was led to believe the TV series was only based on the books and early on went a different direction from them? If that is the case, not sure what relevance that has unless he’s not been writing the show as he’s busy writing the books. I’ve heard people doubt he will even finish the books.

Bought the first one years ago, right chunky thing it was with text you would need a telescope to read so didn’t bother with it.

17 minutes ago, David said:

I dunno, Endgame managed to live up to the hype.  I personally think the biggest problem is the fact that it is no longer being written by George RR Martin.  Lets imagine that Peter Jacksons Lord of the Rings trilogy was in fact 3 books with the first 2 written by Tolkien and the 3rd by a tv writer - the outcome would have been the same.

Another problem is with the pacing, I dunno why they have squashed everything into 6 episodes, GRRM said they could have got a few more seasons out of the story to tell it properly.  I guess the show was becoming to expensive to make ?

14 minutes ago, David said:

Disagree me owd. 

Me and the missus crammed seasons 1-7 in the months leading up and it's by far the best thing we've watched up until about season 6. 

The timing, the writing and all the back stories to the characters we loved have all been abandoned. That's not down to hype that's been built up, just under-par writing/planning/directing. You can see the drop in quality from previous seasons, it's not got anything to do with expectations for me. 

It still is 'the greatest show in the world' to me, they've just not done it justice at the end and that's why I'm really disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Will accept I may be wrong on this occasion, the above was the reasoning why I thought nobody would be happy with the ending as I’ve seen it before with other shows/films.

might also be the lack of gratuitous sex but with almost everyone being dead now I figure the writers thought that necrophilia was a boundary too far...

Just now, maxjam said:

might also be the lack of gratuitous sex but with almost everyone being dead now I figure the writers thought that necrophilia was a boundary too far...

Could have used it as a way of bringing people back from the dead. I mean all those that have died recently, are they really dead? ?

Archived