Game of Thrones Season 8

DarkFruitsRam7

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

inda get the criticism of the Night King and his world ending army getting deleted in one episode

Do you think it is over? I’m not so sure. You have Bran (what’s else did he see??) the dodgy clergy man in the south who brought the mountain back to life, John Snow not exactly being alive. 

I think the dead still have a part to play in this....it’s not over yet.

However I have been wrong on numerous occasions about all most everything. 

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/04/2019 at 16:33, Nuwtfly said:

Writers kill off (liked) characters by tieing up their story arcs in neat, little bows.

On that logic, say goodbye to:

- Brienne

- Beric Dondarrion

- Jorrah Mormont

- The Hound

- Theon

- Ser Davos Seaworth

...and possibly Gendry, too. He's done his half of the job of "uniting the Houses of Stark and Baratheon"...

I guess 3/6 ain't bad.

I loved that episode. But I tend to find I need a few days to process things like this. Maybe even a 2nd viewing.

There was a certain prophecy in the GoT Universe that suggested that the Night King was going to be killed by a certain somebody. That looks to have been chucked out the window. I wonder what the thinking behind this was. Perhaps there wasn't any.

Also, interested to see what they do with Bran now. Got a feeling he might just spend the rest of the series sitting around at Winterfell with Sansa.

I still don't feel like Ned Stark has been truly avenged although Arya is doing an excellent job. But that is part of what made this show, the unexpected death of what seemed major characters. The good guys did not always win, yet people you once hated have become the ones you now root for.

In all shows, films, main characters survive in battles beyond what should be possible. Because of its reputation people expected big names to die in the battle but it actually delivered the biggest surprise right at the end.

I was surprised the Night King was ended but I think it is easy to overlook how much damage has been done. Yes the main players lived but what army do they have left?

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I guess 3/6 ain't bad.

I loved that episode. But I tend to find I need a few days to process things like this. Maybe even a 2nd viewing.

There was a certain prophecy in the GoT Universe that suggested that the Night King was going to be killed by a certain somebody. That looks to have been chucked out the window. I wonder what the thinking behind this was. Perhaps there wasn't any.

Also, interested to see what they do with Bran now. Got a feeling he might just spend the rest of the series sitting around at Winterfell with Sansa.

So, SPOILERS, but I'm sure everyone's just assuming everything is a spoiler at this point:

I think the suggestion is that Arya was who the prophecy was talking about, hence Beric being resurrected 15-ish times just to save her. Jon had to be resurrected to get Arya (and NK) to Winterfell.

Melisandre calling specific people the "prince who was promised" was a bit of a red herring, the solid evidence being she referred to Stannis as such and that was obviously untrue. Suggesting that she had the general gist of what was happening but didn't actually know the details, and was perhaps just bigging powerful people up to maintain favor with them so she could continue to see the bigger picture unfolding.

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

So, SPOILERS, but I'm sure everyone's just assuming everything is a spoiler at this point:

I think the suggestion is that Arya was who the prophecy was talking about, hence Beric being resurrected 15-ish times just to save her. Jon had to be resurrected to get Arya (and NK) to Winterfell.

Melisandre calling specific people the "prince who was promised" was a bit of a red herring, the solid evidence being she referred to Stannis as such and that was obviously untrue. Suggesting that she had the general gist of what was happening but didn't actually know the details, and was perhaps just bigging powerful people up to maintain favor with them so she could continue to see the bigger picture unfolding.

I'm sure there must be something in the process of Melisandre going from Stannis, to Gendry, to the one bearing Gendry's child? (Arya)

I know that's not been confirmed yet (the pregnancy) but you can bet it'll happen.

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'm sure there must be something in the process of Melisandre going from Stannis, to Gendry, to the one bearing Gendry's child? (Arya)

I know that's not been confirmed yet (the pregnancy) but you can bet it'll happen.

Probs.

But yeah, I'm pretty confident Arya is Azor Ahai (the prophesized version of, not literally) and is intended to be in the books too. Pretty sure the dagger is from the original war, too, cos it was drawn in a book on the first "long night" that Sam was reading at the Citadel. It's probably Lightbringer.

They might take all ambiguity out of it though and just have Bran explain everything now it's over. ? 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Probs.

But yeah, I'm pretty confident Arya is Azor Ahai (the prophesized version of, not literally) and is intended to be in the books too. Pretty sure the dagger is from the original war, too, cos it was drawn in a book on the first "long night" that Sam was reading at the Citadel. It's probably Lightbringer.

They might take all ambiguity out of it though and just have Bran explain everything now it's over. ? 

I really enjoy GoT, but I'm nowhere near your level of geekdom. Is there a word like "trainspotter" that's appropriate here? Maybe Thronespotter??

5 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I really enjoy GoT, but I'm nowhere near your level of geekdom. Is there a word like "trainspotter" that's appropriate here? Maybe Thronespotter??

Haha let me tell you something, I got involved in a chat about GoT yesterday with a bunch of strangers and there's a whole load of levels above me lmao. I was lost IMMEDIATELY.

The names I've used are repeated fairly often in the books, but just not brought up much (if at all, can't say I remember) in the show, which is why it seems obscure. 

To summarise it: Azor Ahai = "The prince who was promised" and Lightbringer = Azor Ahai's weapon in the stories about them.

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Probs.

I’m hole we get a bit of basil exposition from bran. Game of thrones doesn’t really lay it all out for you like that though. I feel I have a lot questions still about the night king etc. But if you look back through the shows, there is quite a lot already. We know where he came from, why the CoF made him, when they then teamed up with the first men to defeat him, bran gave a kind of explanation about his motivations. So maybe they will just leave everything a bit ambiguous from this point. 

But if that’s the case, then brand story is pretty much done. He’s not involved and doesn’t care about the game of thrones. His quest was always about the night king, and it’s done now. 

What was he doing warming into those ravens though. I expected him to be setting up some big assist. But he just buggered off for a bit. Was the sole purpose to go draw out the night king and say ‘come at me bro’?

on the lighting @David, it was only really dim during scenes of general mellee, which did a good job of conveying the chaos of battle and terror of fighting zombies. 

Whenever anything important happened, it was actually beautifully lit. And I’ve read several reviews to confirm that opinion. There were some spectacular frames of dragons silhouetted against the moon, or the hordes of dead suddenly being revealed by fire. 

It wouldn’t have been half as good as a day time battle. 

Battle of black water was similar. Lots of fire, middle of the night. Still epic. 

I suggest you watch it yourself and form your own opinion, rather than merely rabbiting what you’ve read on Twitter. 

That’s you told. 

6 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m hole we get a bit of basil exposition from bran. Game of thrones doesn’t really lay it all out for you like that though. I feel I have a lot questions still about the night king etc. But if you look back through the shows, there is quite a lot already. We know where he came from, why the CoF made him, when they then teamed up with the first men to defeat him, bran gave a kind of explanation about his motivations. So maybe they will just leave everything a bit ambiguous from this point. 

Oh I didn't mean information on the Night King, I couldn't care less about the NK - we know everything we needed to know about a big bad who was just there to be a threat. He wasn't ever supposed to be a "character" in any fleshed out sense. He was created to be a weapon against mankind, and lived as a weapon against mankind, nothing more.

I just meant that they could choose to remove all doubt that the prophecy was talking about Arya, if they wanted to, as Bran would know. Or they could leave it with the tiny shred of ambiguity it currently has - although it seems clear that its Arya.

On 30/04/2019 at 12:06, TexasRam said:

Do you think it is over? I’m not so sure. You have Bran (what’s else did he see??) the dodgy clergy man in the south who brought the mountain back to life, John Snow not exactly being alive. 

I think the dead still have a part to play in this....it’s not over yet.

However I have been wrong on numerous occasions about all most everything. 

I knew there were folk as stupid as me out there !! 

9 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Hmm, the theory of bran going back in time and becoming the night king has been around for a while. 

The reasoning bran gave as to why the night king would want to go after him specifically seemed a bit wishy washy. ‘He’s the memory of mankind so to defeat mankind you’ve got to defeat its memory’ sounds a bit balls to me. 

So maybe bran was manipulating events to ensure that the night king could get to him. That they wouldn’t lock him in the crypts or something, so the night king would kill him, and therefore destroy himself (although why he couldn’t just kill himself before the battle starts, I’m not sure). So maybe he was trying to make the sacrifice in a way that would ensure no one would stop him, and he’s so far detached, it doesn’t matter that a few insignificant mortals had to die, in the grand scheme of things.

its almost certainly all hocum, but it’s interesting  I love a good theory. And it explains what bran was up to. I can’t beleive he was just warming into some ravens and being completely useless like all the memes will have you believe. He must have been doing something. I hope there’s some sort of pay off for that.

I wonder if we’ll see Myra Reed again, or her father Howland, the only other person who knows Jon’s secret. In the books this seems really significant. 

They’ve got to march past his castle if they march south (although the trailer for the next episode implies they’re all going to sail south anyway). 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

But if he is still alive why in the moment of his death did all the zombies that he had brought back to life die as well? If it was another character in his place surely the zombies wouldn't have died as well?

We've seen the Night King be created though. 

So unless young adult Bran is going to drastically change his appearance as he gains another decade or two, I don't see how the Bran theory works.

If it's supposed to be just a random walker in the flashback and not the Night King, it seems like an odd decision to use the actor who portrays the NK

Archived