Derby County v Sheffield Wednesday

Bwash_Ram

Bit lost for words tonight. Great first 20 minutes, great last 10 minutes. I suppose getting a point against an in form team after our own bad run is good but I’m left feeeling we look a bit ordinary.

They ran the midfield for the bulk of the game, we couldn’t  get a second ball, the benefit of doubt from the ref or a lucky bounce for love or money. Wednesday were a rough tough old bunch of giants (Bannan aside ? ) and played football. We continue to look a bit weak from a combative POV. 

we tried, no doubt, and there were some good patches. Johnson was up for the battle and had a good game. Hudds, much as I respect his skills got caught napping too often. Flo Jo is working at half throttle and needs a kick up the back side. He has talent but needs to start using it and sweating a bit too. Bogle looking better, Malone is as committed as we’ve got and despite his awkward looking movement is very effective. If Tomori was a better header of the ball he’d be worth a fortune. I’m happy enough and looking forward to the Stoke game but there’s this niggling doubt when game after game it’s our central defence that is the better part of the team and I want to see the ball in the back of the opponents net a bit more often

I’m left thinking our forwards will never prosper unless we can sort out our lack of control and adventure in midfield. ( the two come as a package I suppose ?)

Onwards and upwards, on reflection it was ok .. back in the top 6 2 games unbeaten but we need a spark let’s do it against former snake city ?

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good game today. Bannon was the best player on the pitch but the rest of the Wendies didn’t offer much.

We lost our way a bit then finished strongly.

Carson’s distribution was awful and maybe Roos is better for Frank’s play it out from the back approach.

We didn’t give this one up and neither did Wednesday as they went 442 as well. Malone and Bogle were impressive Jonno did well. I thought Wilson could have closed down quicker but overall I came away content.

Lawrence to come in for Bennett against Stoke but i’ll Keep it as it is otherwise.

Heart melting moment was the tiny little bald girl taking penalties against Rammie.

Thought Huddlestone was poor, Josefzoon was non existent and what’s worrying is he doesn’t look like he cares. I’m sure he does, but there’s simply no conviction from him. It’s tough to carry two players.

Result was fair, thought they were there for the taking but we aren’t quite the side we need to be to do that

Ill be interested to see the Carson incident, big question would be if he had control of it I guess. Frustrating point was he had enough time to come and deal with it before it even got to that mess. Would have been funny to see how the Winnall fan club would have reacted after celebrating in front of our fans, he was off towards the corner me thinks!

Their left back should have been sent off right? Holmes was through? Again that whole situation was a mess, probably saved his team 2 points to boot!

I quite enjoyed the match if not the result which says a lot. I said before Wednesday scored that we shouldn’t give free kicks away in that position Bannon will put them into the danger area and he did. 

A couple of things Bennett played his part until he got injured. Johnson seems to have picked up since his contract starts running out. Bogle had a good game and Malone did ok too. Like I said I enjoyed the game the Wednesday fans played their part too making some noise.

6 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Back from taking my daughter to her first, the good news is she wants to go again ?

thought it was a decent game, lacked in quality, but i can forgive that if the players are at least having a go. 

I remember that time 

I always thought if they see a goal then they will get it .

really pleased she saw us score!!!!

11 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

What were our crowd like today?.........worth a win.....or worth a point.......as good or better or worse as the crowd for Wigan?

Solid, up for it, stayed with the team for most of the game. Gave the wendies fans a run for their money. ?

21 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Thought Huddlestone was poor, Josefzoon was non existent and what’s worrying is he doesn’t look like he cares. I’m sure he does, but there’s simply no conviction from him. It’s tough to carry two players.

Result was fair, thought they were there for the taking but we aren’t quite the side we need to be to do that

Ill be interested to see the Carson incident, big question would be if he had control of it I guess. Frustrating point was he had enough time to come and deal with it before it even got to that mess. Would have been funny to see how the Winnall fan club would have reacted after celebrating in front of our fans, he was off towards the corner me thinks!

Their left back should have been sent off right? Holmes was through? Again that whole situation was a mess, probably saved his team 2 points to boot!

Nah, you'll never get sent off that far from goal.

More positives than negatives from today. Always thought that we can only afford to draw one of the four home games so it's imperative that we claim maximum points against Stoke and Rotherham, particularly with some hard away fixtures coming up. Thought Keogh was immense at the back, made a few amazing last ditch tackles. Carson produced some great stops - had a couple of dodgy kicks but apart from that was fine. Tomori was good but just needs to not scare the life out of me by running a long way out of position. Malone was good - still shaky defensively - but almost scored an absolute worldie. Bogle was utter class today. That Roland Aarons fellow is probably still turned inside out at this very moment! Huddlestone was fantastic defensively and some of Johnson's passing - particularly in the first half was a joy to behold, yet he did drop off later in the game. Holmes was the second best player behind Bogle - he looks much better in midfield than out wide. Thought the only thing that let us down was our front three. Bennett was great until he came off and then Josefzoon was absolutely awful. I don't know where Wilson has gone but that isn't the same player we had two months ago. Waghorn did okay, yet he had a really good chance in the first half and his first touch was terrible - something that patterened throughout the game - who can blame him though? He's not had a touch of the ball for two months! Bogle really should've scored at the end, but at least we created chances today and worked their goalkeeper - the worrying thing about other dropped points in games was that we weren't creating any chances at goal or working the opposition goalkeeper.

Frustrating watching that but having come away and gathered thoughts it was a decent display. Thought we played the better football but we're still gifting teams sitters which gives the feeling that the other team are well in the game despite being a goal down and unable to get anything going. 

Defence did ok, handled two big lumps ok-ish. Keogh and Tomori very good again. Much better from Bogle, was a real threat going forward. Carson made a couple of neat saves but I can't believe how bad his passing/kicking was. It's never been brilliant but today was another level of wasteful. 

BJ playing himself into Franks thoughts for next year? Another good display, thought he faded towards the end when we saw more of the ball though. Holmes was lively, Huddlestone ok. Another poor one from Wilson, totally ineffective, a bit like Mount after his call-up. Need to see more from him. 

Waggy battled and should have done better with his chance. Not going to be too harsh though as he was chasing lost causes all game with very little support. Leads the line well. 

Subs did ok bar Zoon, he's totally lacking confidence. 

All in all, a decent display and solid point. Bruce's teams are always difficult to beat and they'll always be dangerous from set pieces. Follow this up with another good display and 3 points on Wednesday and it'll have been a good couple of weeks. We're a decent midfield away from having a really good team but we've known that all season. 

One of bogles best games for me today, particulary in the middle third he was excellent on the ball, it’s stuff like that that makes you see his potential. Midfield actually seemed to exist today too, weren’t world class but we actually managed to move the ball through them which we haven’t been doing previously, think that offers the best balance imo. Still some of the main problems we’ve had all season persist in terms of stopping crosses and not scoring enough goals/ being poor in the final third, but that was a lot better than recently and hopefully shows us coming out the rut a bit. Much quicker, more energy and more desire in our play. Quality lacking and still nervous, but hopefully those 4 points will calm things down cause the panic more than anything causes us problems when we start forcing stuff and get hit back.

Better team today imo, their keeper kept them in it at time, as well as their defence which was one if the stronger units I’ve seen this season. Only major negative for me today were Carson who’s distribution was once again frankly appalling (and that disallowed goal looked dodgy too) and both wingers (not Bennett who went off early) who need to man the duck up. Everyone else a solid game, couple of nervous moments by most players but in the main solid.

10 hours ago, cosmic said:

Ramage doesn’t have the tactical nous to describe a football match, let alone organise a successful invasion of Europe.

Hitler's efforts in Europe do fall towards the very edge of what you could describe as successful

37 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Add Mount and Lawrence to that starting 11 and we will be OK for the rest of this season. Even Bryson will add some energy when we need him. 

Will anyone spot we'd have 13 on the pitch?

20 minutes ago, jono said:

Solid, up for it, stayed with the team for most of the game. Gave the wendies fans a run for their money. ?

Been to a lot of away games and they’ve always been like the library!!

PP is louder IMO than any ground I’ve been to. 

We shouldn’t be so harsh on our singing, it’s a well supported ground 

30 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Nah, you'll never get sent off that far from goal.

True but no ones gonna catch him and I thought there were two fouls (the initial pull down and then he commuted the second foul). Im undecided really and it had no bearing on the game either I guess.

Archived