Derby County v Sheffield Wednesday

Bwash_Ram

Good game today. Turned into a bit of a scrap and we stood firm against a physical side. We had the better chances but at key moments we didn’t have the run of the ball. 

I was frustrated by their goal as I thought we should’ve had a free kick just prior for a very similar offence, we get that the goal isn’t scored. That said, we still need to defend it, Malone or Tomori (can’t work out who) lost their man. Absolutely no blame attached to Carson, shouldn’t have  come for that cross, it was a hell of a ball in from bannan. 

Our problems today all stemmed from midfield. Balance isn’t right. Johnson and Huddlestone struggle to play Lampards style as don’t have the legs to get around the park. Both played ok today but Waghorn and then Marriott were dreadfully isolated as the midfield couldn’t get up to support. But injuries are dictating selection so can’t grumble too much.

Bogle was outstanding today, closely followed by Keogh and Holmes. Wilson was ok, I wouldn’t have subbed him and if he was on the pitch at the end he could’ve been a factor. Harsh as it is, I think Frank should’ve been brave and subbed the sub! I rarely get on individual players backs but I’ve come to the end of the line with Jozefzoon now.!  Poor signing, did absolutely nothing when he came on today, never want to see him in a  rams short again! 

If we can win the next 2 games, we should then have the likes of Mount Bryson Lawrence back all of whom would’ve made a difference today.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Good game today. Turned into a bit of a scrap and we stood firm against a physical side. We had the better chances but at key moments we didn’t have the run of the ball. 

I was frustrated by their goal as I thought we should’ve had a free kick just prior for a very similar offence, we get that the goal isn’t scored. That said, we still need to defend it, Malone or Tomori (can’t work out who) lost their man. Absolutely no blame attached to Carson, shouldn’t have  come for that cross, it was a hell of a ball in from bannan. 

Our problems today all stemmed from midfield. Balance isn’t right. Johnson and Huddlestone struggle to play Lampards style as don’t have the legs to get around the park. Both played ok today but Waghorn and then Marriott were dreadfully isolated as the midfield couldn’t get up to support. But injuries are dictating selection so can’t grumble too much.

Bogle was outstanding today, closely followed by Keogh and Holmes. Wilson was ok, I wouldn’t have subbed him and if he was on the pitch at the end he could’ve been a factor. Harsh as it is, I think Frank should’ve been brave and subbed the sub! I rarely get on individual players backs but I’ve come to the end of the line with Jozefzoon now.!  Poor signing, did absolutely nothing when he came on today, never want to see him in a  rams short again! 

If we can win the next 2 games, we should then have the likes of Mount Bryson Lawrence back all of whom would’ve made a difference today.

I thought Wilson was as bad as Joze to be fair, not in the game....

55 minutes ago, rynny said:

Took my youngest to his first game of the season. He enjoyed it for the most part. 

Anyone else see Carson let rip into Malone twice in the second half? He wasn't happy about Malone not going for his kicks.

Personally I'd rather he pinned him to the ground crouched over him and let rip in his face to drive the message home. 

I thought that was a great game of football, and despite us only getting one point, I am satisfied because of the way we played. The attitude, desire and passion were there and we played the ball a lot better - Tuesday night's result was so significant because we got rid of a load of our demons from the past.

We had a really bright start and looked the better side, which we did for large parts of the game. Johnson's goal was in some ways a relief, but was also expected because of how we started the game. We reached half-time pretty much in control, even though Wednesday had come into the game a bit more, and had a couple of good chances. There was great banter with the Wednesday fans, including a patch we we kept stealing each other's songs - great fun!

The second half started off more evenly balanced, but the equaliser was disappointing. Firstly it was a soft free-kick, but secondly it was awful defending. Frank criticised the defence for not moving in line. Unfortunately, line together or not, they were ball-watching, so no-one picked up the Wendy running from behind the pack of bodies in the area to make an unchallenged header.

The equaliser marked a sea change in the match official's performances. Most of the game, barging your opponent off balance when going for a header seemed OK unless you happened to be wearing a white shirt, but apparently getting the ball in a challenge is now deemed foul play, with three such challenges in a row going against the Rams. Holmes was pushed off the ball and down to the ground in the area, but Stroud indicated that the defender had got the ball. So all of a sudden getting the ball is important after all, apart from the fact that the defender was nowhere near the ball. A little later Bogle was shoulder-charged to the ground, again in the area, and despite the defender barging into Bogle, it was the Ram adjudged to have committed the foul. Bizarre, but normal at Pride Park. Wednesday weren't dirty, neither did they do much in the way of time-wasting, but they were cynical, including three very cynical hack-downs to prevent us breaking clear on goal. Only one yellow card. Oh well, at least Stroud wasn't as bad as the dreadful ref on Tuesday night.

I noticed in the second half we largely did away with playing the ball out from the back, and it certainly contributed to our quicker attacking in the second half. And as someone else has noted, it seems that the full backs have somehow escaped their chains and are bombing on at every opportunity. If they have been released  forwards, it is a great sign for the remaining games.

In the end, a draw was about right, although we could have won it with either a bit of luck or better decision making. And although players did make some mistakes today, no-one played badly. It seems as though Josefzoon has become the new whipping boy, but actually he does try, but is hampered through lack of vision or foresight. So instead of reading the game and anticipating an opportunity, he only reacts once the opportunity has presented itself and is therefore on the back foot, which then meqns he looks disinterested. Lets hope it is something he can pick up on and put into his game.

Johnson has provided the extra bite which we have been lacking in midfield, and Bogle was excellent today, and must be really close to his first goal. I would put Tomori as man of the match, along with Keogh.

As I said at the start, I don't bemoan two points dropped, I am happy with the way in which we played today, and it is still all to play for.

Maybe just me then but I thought it was quite a poor game. Derby look to be improving slowly after their dip in form. Wednesday were there for the taking though, as was shown in the last 15 when we put two up top and went for it more. 

But for the most part, both sides were distinctly average and a draw was about right. Atmosphere was a bit flat until Derby picked up towards the end. Couple of decent performances, notably Johnson (again, unpopular opinion but we've missed him) and Bogle. A couple in there who are having runs in the team who really need to up their game.

7 hours ago, walkleyowl said:

Still pic makes it difficult to be accruate but not sure SC is "in control"

1552175830.jpg

Ok the image is not clear I agree ....but I was sitting in the lower tier to the right of that image has you look at it.......I am a qualified referee so when the incident took place I immediately said freekick ....when Winnall plays the ball Carson has one hand behind the ball ..six yard box line side...and one hand on top off it .

This is the crucial part the hand on top has it puts the ball between if and the ground meaning in the rules he is in control has you can see in the rules below.

The linesman did not flag but had a clear view and when the ref hesitated I saw him speak into his mic and then the ref acted.

The FA

LAWS OF THE GAME & FA RULES

LAW 12: FOULS AND MISCONDUCT

IFAB Laws of the Game 2018-19

Law 12 Fouls 

The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. Inside their penalty area, the goalkeeper cannot be guilty of a handling offence incurring a direct free kick or any related sanction but can be guilty of handling offences that incur an indirect free kick.

The goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

holding the ball in the outstretched open hand

bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air

A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hands.

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, walkleyowl said:

1552175830.jpg

8 hours ago, walkleyowl said:

1552175830.jpg

6 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

From what I recall Carson was on the floor and holding the ball with two hands...the incident occurred after that point.

Carson had both hands on the ball...

Capture.PNG

11 hours ago, Davide said:

Keogh was man of the match for me. Won every header and are a couple of important last ditch tackles 

....and still you get some idiot called Derek contacting Radio Derby post-match giving him stick. Unbelievable!

12 hours ago, rynny said:

Took my youngest to his first game of the season. He enjoyed it for the most part. 

Anyone else see Carson let rip into Malone twice in the second half? He wasn't happy about Malone not going for his kicks.

Ironic cause Carson couldn’t hit a man in a white shirt all game. Love the bloke but Christ his disbribution is painful, that freekick at the end he just smashed out for a throw on the same side summed it up. Dunno what Roos did wrong

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Ironic cause Carson couldn’t hit a man in a white shirt all game. Love the bloke but Christ his disbribution is painful, that freekick at the end he just smashed out for a throw on the same side summed it up. Dunno what Roos did wrong

Think the goalkeeping position is interesting and I do wonder if Lampards' philosophy is similar to Guardiola in that he wants his keeper to be instrumental in building possession from the back. Joe Hart was a good 'old fashioned' keeper but struggled with distribution so was replaced by someone who could do what was wanted.

I like Carson but it's obvious he struggles with this aspect of the game and becomes frustrated - a couple of times in the first half he made highly risky passes out to Malone. The one in the second half where he had a go at Malone, I'm fairly sure he put the ball into touch on the full. From what we've seen so far, Roos has better distribution and I thought was unfortunate to be dropped after the Forest game.

10 hours ago, walkleyowl said:

So what songs we swapping? 

And it's high ho Sheff...Derby County , everywhere we go now baby

25 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Think the goalkeeping position is interesting and I do wonder if Lampards' philosophy is similar to Guardiola in that he wants his keeper to be instrumental in building possession from the back. Joe Hart was a good 'old fashioned' keeper but struggled with distribution so was replaced by someone who could do what was wanted.

I like Carson but it's obvious he struggles with this aspect of the game and becomes frustrated - a couple of times in the first half he made highly risky passes out to Malone. The one in the second half where he had a go at Malone, I'm fairly sure he put the ball into touch on the full. From what we've seen so far, Roos has better distribution and I thought was unfortunate to be dropped after the Forest game.

Think it’s the modern way in general tbf, what with teams pressing more and more than ever before on teams playing out the back, the onus comes on the goalkeeper to be able to find a man up the pitch and beat the press. It’s a total chnage really from before when goalkeepers were barely footballers at all, and I can’t help but feel maybe Carson’s been left behind in a generation gone by. Great goalkeeper that he has been (and as nice a footballer as you’ll ever meet so I’m told), can’t help but feel maybe his times up. Roos is undoubtedly better on the ball, and I’ve seen nothing to suggest he isn’t a decent shot stopper either. I’d put him back in now and assess the situation in the summer window.

It may be tbf that Carson is still carrying an injury, some kicks yesterday were so bad that there’s no way even a more old fashioned keeper like Carson when fit would have hit them. I mean that freekick even I could have kept in play at least and I was a ducking awful goalkeeper? He can’t be fully recovered yet

51 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think it’s the modern way in general tbf, what with teams pressing more and more than ever before on teams playing out the back, the onus comes on the goalkeeper to be able to find a man up the pitch and beat the press. It’s a total chnage really from before when goalkeepers were barely footballers at all, and I can’t help but feel maybe Carson’s been left behind in a generation gone by. Great goalkeeper that he has been (and as nice a footballer as you’ll ever meet so I’m told), can’t help but feel maybe his times up. Roos is undoubtedly better on the ball, and I’ve seen nothing to suggest he isn’t a decent shot stopper either. I’d put him back in now and assess the situation in the summer window.

It may be tbf that Carson is still carrying an injury, some kicks yesterday were so bad that there’s no way even a more old fashioned keeper like Carson when fit would have hit them. I mean that freekick even I could have kept in play at least and I was a ducking awful goalkeeper? He can’t be fully recovered yet

Kieran Westwood is out of contract in the summer. He is easily one of the best keepers in the division. As a keeper myself i enjoy watching him play. He kept Wednesday in it at the end. At 34 though he is past it probably.

Edit: He could actually keep the ball it play too even had the ability to change kicking style for the front man once Fletcher went off.

Archived