Who is Frank on about here then?

Full quote from Lampard's RD interview last night:

"The negativity that seeps in at this club, I was surprised how people, some people really close to the club, want to be like "oh we're doomed" because of 2 or 3 results. We're not doomed and this is the time you flush out characters - good people who stick together, or you flush out ones who want to blame someone or speak behind people's backs. And I think in that squad, in that dressing room, we've got some really good people."

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the best part of Lampard's quote (taken from BBC sport) was: "We have a young, transitional team. People expect it to be rosy and that we'll win every week, but it doesn't work like that." -- to me that makes me believe he really wants to work at it here and build something and it does show he wants us to be patient. So much rather that than a 1 season have a smash at it then leave. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Very true.

I don't like the finger pointing even if Radio Derby were the intended target of Lampard's words.

See comments like "I will support them in the ground 100%, but when I come online I will let off steam and vent my frustrations"

That steam creates an atmosphere, an atmosphere that we all live in online throughout the week, by time Saturday rolls round we're half beaten because it's February, the Derby way, bottlers, wobblers.

This forum and Twitter are just as, if not more guilty for spreading negativity and peddling this February wobble, it spreads, and Lampard isn't the first manager to tell us the players feel it, like him or not Rowett has said exactly the same thing, even players that are new to the club.

It's now part of the meme culture, for the likes, retweets, attention and becomes that self fulfilling prophecy the club urged us not to create.

Players have access to the internet, they see it, don't be naive to think they all spend the day in either Gucci stores or playing Fortnite.

Other fans see it as well, other players Sean Morrison, they sing about it, taunt us, because we've all created this annual collapse and given a new meaning to "The Derby Way" which should have been something more positive to associate the club with.

So whilst we're taking credit for the atmosphere for last night, how great the fans are, this isn't the time to look down on others for their negativity.

Now I know some will be thinking, don't bring me into this, I'm talking about our online fanbase in general which I include myself in as a Derby fan.

Finally, a moderator asked if we should delete the Sack Frank thread the night it went up, my response was we can't, which he agreed but the frustration over it's existence was shared between us. I probably more than most feel responsible for this platform and question what the hell have I created here? 

I admitted I wanted to rename it, something less damaging but again, we're not here to police opinions, just ensure they are put across in a civil manner.

You see we often get accused of removing negativity which is laughable given the content over the last few weeks, but we have to allow fans views good and bad, that's the purpose of a forum. We're not all going to agree on who should play left back, or who should be signed but theres ways to go about discussing opinions as adults without the keyboard slinging.

It's hard though, really hard to sit here and read it, calling for a managers head whilst we're sat 7th in his first season in charge. It's also hard to read other fans feel the same, post less, losing the love. To think this forum is partly responsible for that really hurts to be honest because that was never the intention of this forum.

We have to be better than this, we have to be more supportive both in the ground and online, remembering that words online can help breed this negative atmosphere just as they can in the ground, same way as those can broadcast over the airwaves. 

Of course we can criticise going 4-0 down at half time v Aston Villa, we're not going to sit here and clap our hands saying good game this isn't it, but the scapegoating, calling for sackings, constant doom because it's February needs to stop, we can't put rules in place for that nor would we want to. Comes down to us all as individuals to be a little more thoughtful when he hit submit reply or voice their opinions audibly.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I understand you when you say you're not here to police opinion and rightly say you can't enforce rules on what people post, but then you go on to say people should be more positive, supportive and considerate. You can't have it both ways; in a free speech society, you have to accept the rough with the smooth.

Or else shut the forum, which I'm sure nobody wants.

I'm sure there are people out there who want Frank sacked. If you are to run a proper forum you have to allow them the platform to say it without getting emotional about it. Accept it for what it is. Just like RD have to when morons phone them up and we're all shouting at the radio for them to get that idiot off.

I have to say I don't agree that what is written in this forum pervades the mindset of the fan at games. That is determined by a whole load of individual factors (their lives and attitudes), as well as communal ones (eg how the team is playing). And I presume we don't have 28,000-odd forum members?

I say this is a great forum and just let people get on with it.

4 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I understand you when you say you're not here to police opinion and rightly say you can't enforce rules on what people post, but then you go on to say people should be more positive, supportive and considerate. You can't have it both ways; in a free speech society, you have to accept the rough with the smooth.

Or else shut the forum, which I'm sure nobody wants.

I'm sure there are people out there who want Frank sacked. If you are to run a proper forum you have to allow them the platform to say it without getting emotional about it. Accept it for what it is. Just like RD have to when morons phone them up and we're all shouting at the radio for them to get that idiot off.

I have to say I don't agree that what is written in this forum pervades the mindset of the fan at games. That is determined by a whole load of individual factors (their lives and attitudes), as well as communal ones (eg how the team is playing). And I presume we don't have 28,000-odd forum members?

I say this is a great forum and just let people get on with it.

There’s 2 sides to this, the moderation and personal opinion. We do accept it, the topic is still there. The only reason we would step in is if we believed the fan was purposely looking to troll the forum.

I personally don’t think it’s right and I think people should be more thoughtful about what they are posting online. 

I also don’t think online is solely responsible either, but I believe it plays a part in the negative mindset that spreads.

If you spend Mon-Fri reading how useless this team is, the manager must go, we’re bottling it again it is going to be in your head, managers have even spoke about the impact it has on the players, are they lying, looking for excuses? 

The last 2 managers have spoken about it, at what point are we going to listen and say, maybe they are right. 

New managers, new players, yet the same outcome. 

Of course you can’t blame results on the fans solely either, but we shouldn’t be so naive to think these words online have no effect.

I called Ed Dawes out on twitter after the recent Millwall game where he tweeted that Derby made their opponents look like world beaters. This was sensationalism and irresponsible journalism to my mind. I watched that game and Derby huffed and puffed, but couldn't break down Millwall who then caught us with a lucky break.

Ed Dawes reacts like a fan IMO, he over dramatizes when things are not going well and this just feeds into the keyboard warriors and twitterati that know everything about everything. He reminds me of Adrian Durham on Talksport, always looking for a reaction.

Like an earlier comment said, I'd prefer that he just commentated on the game and saved his pub talk with Ramage to the pub.

As for Ramage, at least he has played the game, however I would suggest that Frank has probably forgotten more already than Ramage has ever known about playing at the highest level. 

I find these two clowns over critical at the best of times.

8 minutes ago, David said:

There’s 2 sides to this, the moderation and personal opinion. We do accept it, the topic is still there. The only reason we would step in is if we believed the fan was purposely looking to troll the forum.

I personally don’t think it’s right and I think people should be more thoughtful about what they are posting online. 

I also don’t think online is solely responsible either, but I believe it plays a part in the negative mindset that spreads.

If you spend Mon-Fri reading how useless this team is, the manager must go, we’re bottling it again it is going to be in your head, managers have even spoke about the impact it has on the players, are they lying, looking for excuses? 

The last 2 managers have spoken about it, at what point are we going to listen and say, maybe they are right. 

Of course you can’t blame results on the fans solely either, but we shouldn’t be so naive to think these words online have no effect.

No we shouldn't, but neither should be overplay their importance. 

I read this forum regularly as you know, but it doesn't affect my mindset on a Saturday. And I go with a load of people who don't read this forum (sorry). And I'd lay my hat on the fact that the moaners around me don't even know what this forum is, or even what the internet is.

In my opinion it more a cultural thing, a history thing, things that go on in real life, not anonymously blowing off some steam online. The crap I read on here (in the nicest possible way) is for interest and entertainment, it doesn't really ever alter my own opinions. Equally, I accept that Twitter/Insta is different as you can target and "speak at" players directly, and this has it's positives and negatives. 

1 minute ago, VulcanRam said:

No we shouldn't, but neither should be overplay their importance. 

I read this forum regularly as you know, but it doesn't affect my mindset on a Saturday. And I go with a load of people who don't read this forum (sorry). And I'd lay my hat on the fact that the moaners around me don't even know what this forum is, or even what the internet is.

In my opinion it more a cultural thing, a history thing, things that go on in real life, not anonymously blowing off some steam online. The crap I read on here (in the nicest possible way) is for interest and entertainment, it doesn't really ever alter my own opinions. Equally, I accept that Twitter/Insta is different as you can target and "speak at" players directly, and this has it's positives and negatives. 

My post wasn't just about this forum but social media including Twitter.

I'm sure a number of fans don't access any Derby content online, but many do, I see the numbers that access this forum and tweets I put out under the dcfcfans account, it's not as insignificant as you might think, even if fans around you haven't heard of this forum specifically.

It's also not just about the fan mindset but what the players see, take in, as you say they can be accessed on Twitter and Instagram unlike this forum, but mob mentality grows towards certain players, Keogh, Nugent, Lawrence and I include this forum in that as I've seen posts shared on those platforms attacking the players above.

Honestly think you're being a tad naive just brushing this off as entertainment in a small corner of the internet nobody takes notice of. The club most definitely read this forum and it would not surprise me at all if one or two players have read over the years.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

...that he works for the BBC? A public service organisation which would not get rid of someone unless they had committed gross misconduct. 

Its hard to understand that ed dawes' tweet that @angieram posted which was targeted at her and her friends. It is certainly not very pleasant. You'd have thought that has come from a forest fan. Very strange. Not a very nice guy.

What tweet was that?

33 minutes ago, David said:

I mentioned this last season

The only constant is us the fans*, maybe we get what we deserve

* oh and RK?

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Full quote from Lampard's RD interview last night:

"The negativity that seeps in at this club, I was surprised how people, some people really close to the club, want to be like "oh we're doomed" because of 2 or 3 results. We're not doomed and this is the time you flush out characters - good people who stick together, or you flush out ones who want to blame someone or speak behind people's backs. And I think in that squad, in that dressing room, we've got some really good people."

Sounds to me like there are people closer to the club than Radio Derby that have been negative.

Those quotes last night are savage, he could be referring to a whole host of people. 

he eludes to “people within the club” wonder if he means some players who aren’t in the squad but won’t leave, spreading negativity? 

could he even be referring to Mel? 

My only question around this is that if Lampard is eluding to these people in the club causing issues, what steps is the club taking to address it? on the evidence of the last 4 seasons , not very much

Even if Frank feels this way is it sensible for him to be public about it? To me it shows he isn't handling the pressure very well.

I don't want RD to become like some of our fans, who see everything through rose-coloured specs. I want to hear how the team are actually playing. If Frank's not happy, his answer is to get the team to play well.

I suspect it would be some of the long term back room staff who have seen it before and possibly airing the "Here we go again" brigade.

If he is saying there are some really good people in the dressing room, I am also of the opinion it isn't the players, but someone/or few that are getting on the players backs and Frank is trying to protect his boys.

If there are those in the background they are like a cancer and can cause unrest and need to be gotten rid of

Ah the ol' Radio Derby chestnut again.

It's local radio, and it's pretty decent by local radio standards. I've had the displeasure of listening to other local radios when out of range of RD, and there are some worse versions of what we have, and some better.

Dawes and Ramage have Derby at heart. Sure their punditry leaves a lot to be desired at times, and Ramage loses the ability to pronounce many words/player names - but they have an affection for the club, and that's probably why it can sound quite negative at times. I get why that can grate with some fans, and I couldn't do the job myself without some bias, but I'd rather them have an opinion and ask 'harsh' questions than be completely anodyne and passive.

That said, quality of comms won't have any impact on results/performances/feeling around the club. Stop looking for things to blame external to the club.

If anything, the best teams and players should have the desire to want to prove them wrong. Negative press will have been something Frank will have had plenty of experience with. The England team that he was part of got dog's abuse from national media.

I suspect his bigger beef will be with those in Derby County. I like the feeling he threw behind those comments, but as with the Mel story this week, its bringing yet more speculation we don't need. As evidenced by this thread, and the Mirror has now run a 'story' out of it too.

17 minutes ago, KCG said:

Even if Frank feels this way is it sensible for him to be public about it? To me it shows he isn't handling the pressure very well.

I don't want RD to become like some of our fans, who see everything through rose-coloured specs. I want to hear how the team are actually playing. If Frank's not happy, his answer is to get the team to play well.

I think most posts on here dont object to  RD commenting on perceived short coming.Its the childish and vindictive way its being done at the moment

17 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Sounds to me like there are people closer to the club than Radio Derby that have been negative.

I imagine it's aimed at Radio Derby, social media and a large section of our fans that don't want to sing or cheer (fair enough) but are very vocal when things are going wrong. 

It's likely the same when he was at Chelsea and going through bad patches but as a manager he has to try and manage the mentality of his players. 

We aren't a very positive bunch. We have some reasons though. He wasn't here when we got 11 points in a season. He wasn't here when we came back down and went back to being a big standard Champ side and he wasn't here for our bad ending in 2015, our Wembley heartbreak or our cowardly exit to Fulham in the play offs. 

There is a feeling of Derby teasing you with some glory and then blowing it in spectacular fashion.

What's the worse way to get relegated? The way we did.

What's the worst way to lose at Wembley? The way we did

What's the worst way to miss out on the play offs? By needing a draw at home to a weaker side and getting battered? Missing a penalty thrown in. 

But we need to try and move on. We have different owners, managers, teams. It's us carrying the baggage. We need to try and all ease the pressure

Many fans don't. Radio Derby bloody don't. And social media..  Well Twitter is full of divas. You sign up and you know what you will have to put up with. 

On here I think there's drama queens. It's mostly balanced. We need Pride Park to have more balance. Maybe even be positive one day. Live up to it's name.

Our first response to criticism is "Well why don't they start performing on the pitch instead of moaning about us". It's a fair point. But you can only control what you do. Do the best you can. I don't think we can say we always do. 

I doubt he wants to put a stop to a bit of moaning here and there. Just we show very little patience because we expect a kick in the teeth. Vicious circle

26 minutes ago, KCG said:

Or he's being completely honest about problems he sees with the club, problems that have been ever-present for a few years now? This is a bloke who's been in extremely high pressure situations as a player, in champions league final penalty shootouts, and also as a person in terms of media and fan scrutiny, especially as a 17 year old at West Ham, playing for england etc. I'm sure he's coping fine.

Also, I don't understand where you get this perception that fans who generally have more of a positive mindset and don't jump onto negativity immediately are looking at things through rose-tinted specs. Rose-tinted would be saying that saturdays performance wasn't that bad, when in reality I didn't see one person react in that way at all. Rose-tinted specs would be fans saying that Frank's doing brilliantly when in fact most that are accused say hes doing an decent/good job considering context. Because I don't go 'here we go again' and 'all the players are crap' after a couple of losses does that make me a happy clapper? Genuinely interested what constitutes being a happy clapper.

I don't think the comments were aimed at local media anyway, it seems to me something a bit deeper than that. At least the words used are very strong, something I wouldn't consider being used for just local media. And good on him trying to instigate change where he sees fit. If something's holding the club back in one way or another, why not try? Better than disregarding it completely.

Archived