Who is Frank on about here then?

I won't get this quote exactly right but when Sir Brian first joined us he was told we were a happy club. Happy club, he said. How can you be a happy club when you've won nothing? He was forgetting the FA cup 20 years before but he was making a point.

Frank may be tired, may have got fed up with comments off, may feel under some pressure from poor results, may be worried about the prospect of Mel selling up, may be getting cheesed off being away from all his kids.

Or he may be a winner, someone used to winning football matches, wanting everyone, fans, staff, players, boardroom, media to pull in the same direction because he knows that when that happens the chances of us winning matches will increase. He may also be creating a siege mentality with the players.

It's not such a strange concept - argue with the missus and/or kids and your house ain't a happy place. Same at your work or in your bowls/cricket/football club or whatever. Not too much to ask that for the next 13 matches or so the noises off are switched off. Sir Brian did ok (after a crap first season and a good proportion of his second).

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, KCG said:

The problem is that you see your view as being more positive, whereas some of us see your view and similar ones as being happy clapper stylee. You, like others, consider my view and others, who are more realistic, as not being as worthy of your view and that your view is superior when all it is, is an opinion. Your ilk seem to think we are not entitled to an opinion.

I do not consider my view superior to other fan's views in any way whatsoever. I'd suggest that actually by suggesting your view is more 'realistic' that the opposite is occurring. Do I think some negative reaction to recent events have been rash? Yes. Do I believe that Your view is more realistic than mine? No, and neither do I think my view is more correct . The reality is we don't know what the future holds for us with Frank, and those with reservations could end up being entirely right. However, I believe that you can still have an optimistic outlook on things overall and be critical of the present, without going over the top. I'm not going to say that what we saw in the 5 games previous to tuesday were any good because that would be an outright lie, but I look at the wider context,not only at our football club but others up and down the country, and remain satisfied with our position. I cannot see anything that suggests any element of Happy Clapping in that, really.

Also, what does 'my Ilk' mean anyway? A fan that want's the best for his club? Because that is all I am. If I disagree with you, that doesn't mean I think you're not entitled to holding that opinion. People misconstrue disagreement for rejection.

Frank's comments about negativity have directed the focus to a relatively minor issue. He overstates the impact the supporters can have. Despite the wonderful support from the fans without Bennett's amazing strike I am sure we would have lost the game on Tuesday.

The players, and what they do when they walk onto the pitch, are far more significant than the fans and there were some poor contributions on the night. Even immediately after the equaliser we looked second rate.

Frank needs to accept more responsibility himself for what happens on the pitch. I have not seen any acknowledgement from him that his team selections, especially against Villa, have contributed to the poor recent results. I have not spoken to any fan that did not fear the worst on hearing the line-up last Saturday.

4 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Frank's comments about negativity have directed the focus to a relatively minor issue. He overstates the impact the supporters can have. Despite the wonderful support from the fans without Bennett's amazing strike I am sure we would have lost the game on Tuesday.

The players, and what they do when they walk onto the pitch, are far more significant than the fans and there were some poor contributions on the night. Even immediately after the equaliser we looked second rate.

Frank needs to accept more responsibility himself for what happens on the pitch. I have not seen any acknowledgement from him that his team selections, especially against Villa, have contributed to the poor recent results. I have not spoken to any fan that did not fear the worst on hearing the line-up last Saturday.

It’s not a minor issue when it affects our season year after year. I’d much rather he addresses it and tries to change it than bury his head in the sand and pretend it isn’t happening. Of course the atmosphere around the club when we lose a game affects the players, you only have to see the reaction of the players to the fan’s backing on Tuesday night to realise it has a direct impact. 

Perhaps things are getting a bit stressed?

do they need significant season ticket income before the end of march for ffp reasons?

maybe the season tickets aren't selling and there are some gloomy long faced accountants wandering about the place?

it seems possible that the timing of franks comments and the reports that mel wants to sell if we don't go up are not unrelated?

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What has affected our seasons year after year is failure, not moaning about it. 

The problem is that the moaning starts way before we have actually failed. Indeed this season, the moaning started (with one poster writing off the season!!) before a ball was kicked.

On 06/03/2019 at 01:16, rynny said:

It was Millwall away last season when I switched off. At the time I couldn't decide if it was Rowett’s football or their commentary that made me turn it off. After watching more games at the end of the season I thought it was the football, so I put them back on and realised it was actually both them and the football.

What a depressing journey of discovery this was! I agree with your conclusion though. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

What has affected our seasons year after year is failure, not moaning about it. 

So you don’t think it has any effect on the players?

An example for that is Chris Martin, scored 20 goals a season for three seasons then gets slagged off in his first lean spell so much that he shouted duck off to the S.S. when he eventually scored a penalty. 

Have a think about Tom Lawrence getting abuse this season when he gives the ball away trying to make things happen, then makes a gesture to the crowd when he scored. Do you not think they’re affected by the abuse they get? Then all of a sudden we stop playing that risky free flowing football and pass it square across the back for 90 minutes. Is that not the effect of the abuse they get when we lose the ball trying to play football?

Even if you disagree with the two paragraphs above, we’ve tried moaning at the players for four years, would it hurt so much to try getting behind them for once like we did on Tuesday. 

As a football fan there’s not much you can do to change a game, you just stand/sit there and take whatever happens on the pitch. You may as well try getting behind them and see what happens. It’s much more enjoyable than moaning for 90 minutes. 

A smile is is better than a frown. 

34 minutes ago, curb said:

So you don’t think it has any effect on the players?

As a football fan there’s not much you can do to change a game, you just stand/sit there and take whatever happens on the pitch. You may as well try getting behind them and see what happens. It’s much more enjoyable than moaning for 90 minutes. 

Much better to have an enjoyable match atmosphere. Chicken and egg, which comes first? Do you really think that Mason's wonder strike (from a poor cross by Malone) was down to lots of cheering and singing? The football makes the cheering and singing easier, not the other way around.

2 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

The problem is that the moaning starts way before we have actually failed. Indeed this season, the moaning started (with one poster writing off the season!!) before a ball was kicked.

Surely the modern day football player should have some resilience? Maybe that's our problem we've signed too many snowflakes!

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Much better to have an enjoyable match atmosphere. Chicken and egg, which comes first? Do you really think that Mason's wonder strike (from a poor cross by Malone) was down to lots of cheering and singing? The football makes the cheering and singing easier, not the other way around.

Not directly, but maybe if the atmosphere had been more hostile, Malone might have turned back, played the safe pass back to Tomori, who would have passed it to Keogh, who would have passed it back to Carson, who would have tried to pass it out to Bogle but could gave it away to a Wigan player to score their second.....

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So does that atmosphere only matter to you as a fan? The team won't always play well, they won't always inspire the crowd. If they aren't at it, then fans (things called supporters) then step up. If the players don't put the effort in or don't care then that is another matter but I have seen none of that. Like any relationship, give and take, but you seem firmly in the take.

Of course, booing, moaning, getting on peoples backs will effect any one in any walk of life, yes @RoyMac5 even football players.

If someone were on your back, you would want to stick 2 fingers up at them and not perform.

It is only human to protect yourself and if you are constantly booed every time you make one mistake when passing forward, you are going to play safe. 

When you play safe the boo boys get on your back even more and your confidence drops, which to me any way seems to have been the case over and over again.

I also stick by my earlier post about certain people moaning that we will implode in the new year so early in the season will also have some effect on the team. 

IT IS CALLED HUMAN NATURE. 

Motivation works.

The bugle sounding the charge.

"Once more into the breach dear friends"

Men have gone to their certain deaths in a headlong charge ever since, well forever. Motivated by nothing more that the encouragement of their leaders and peers.

They would have gone nowhere if there wasn't a battle cry.

100% motivation works. You might not win every time but you'll go down fighting with the adulation of the multitude ringing in your ears.

The fans can be the extra 10% to push us into the play-offs this season. I have no doubt that's what won it for us against Wigan. 

We can make a difference.

9 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Absolutely right.

2 hours ago, BondJovi said:

So does that atmosphere only matter to you as a fan? The team won't always play well, they won't always inspire the crowd. If they aren't at it, then fans (things called supporters) then step up. If the players don't put the effort in or don't care then that is another matter but I have seen none of that. Like any relationship, give and take, but you seem firmly in the take.

That's not the point. The point is are the fans to blame if the atmosphere is crap and the team play badly? 

2 hours ago, Stroker Ace said:

Motivation works.

The bugle sounding the charge.

"Once more into the breach dear friends"

Men have gone to their certain deaths in a headlong charge ever since, well forever. Motivated by nothing more that the encouragement of their leaders and peers.

They would have gone nowhere if there wasn't a battle cry.

100% motivation works. You might not win every time but you'll go down fighting with the adulation of the multitude ringing in your ears.

The fans can be the extra 10% to push us into the play-offs this season. I have no doubt that's what won it for us against Wigan. 

We can make a difference.

I'd rather have a decent squad and a good manager. ?

Archived