Brighton and Hove Albion vs Derby County Match thread

RadioactiveWaste

25 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I watched the match on BT Sport, and heard the first part of Frank's interview where he expressed his disappointment at the poor first half performance. I missed the second part because my wife decided it was more important to start talking about emulsion paint.

Did I miss anything?

You might have missed her assessment of vinyl silk versus vinyl matt?

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Massive opportunity missed. We could easily  at least got to the semi final. 

We didn’t lay a finger on them today, they totally controlled the game...shows you how far we have to go if they actually do think they want to play in the top division because they are miles away from being good enough 

At least we got a point at Ipswich though?

4 hours ago, BobbyD said:

He is Im atraid.

His teams are scared to death of their opposition, no matter what league they play in.

His players are frightened to death of holding the ball or even, god forbid, playing it forward to their team mates

They are being outplayed by better footballing players who are earning a fraction of ours 

Any team who's  first thought is to take free kicks awarded in the oppositions half back inside their own half  - wow 

There doesnt appear to be any forward strategy of any sort 

The club are being taken for a ride by this Frank/Jody thing - both of them are out of their depth 

If they were out of their depth, we would be bottom half of the table struggling. We have put Premier League teams out of cups this season and are level on points with 6th place in a really hard and competitive league. You're negative and probably moan all through matches. 

6 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I am 100% serious when I say that I have absolutely no recollection of this! Where were you and what did you say?

Jusy walking round to the away entrance. You were stood with another bloke. I only said Hi and your name but when you looked blank I decided it wasn't you and scuttled away! You haven't got a doppelganger, have you? 

Just back from an 8 hour round journey thanks to an accident on M25. 

Over riding emotion is disappointment, mainly that they were quite comfortable for 80 minutes. 

There's also a tinge of realisation that today's performance has become the norm for away games and was not just a one off performance that we can forget about.

The first half tactics were abysmal to say the least. Second half we had a go and perhaps could have scraped a draw that I don't think we deserved.

My marks:-

Roos - 8 - Some excellent saves to keep us in the game. Commanded his area well at times. Marked down for a few too many kicks aimed towards Nugent and also parried a shot I thought he should have held.

Bogle - 5 - Looked good going forward in the second half but still hasn't learned how to stop crosses. 

Malone 4 - Really not sure what we have signed here. Much more comfortable attacking than defending. Maybe we should try him in midfield. Once again allowed crosses in unchallenged. 

Tomori - 7 - Silly booking but other than that pretty solid. Not sure why he doesn't bring the ball out of defence more.

Keogh - 8 - MOTM for me. Very solid as he has been for a while. Could see his frustration at the lack of movement in front of him.

Bryson - 4 - All of the points are for his 'off the ball' work. At the moment its pointless giving him the ball because it just goes back to where it came from. First touch is always back towards his own goal.

Huddlestone - 3 - Pretty much same criticism as Bryson. Played a couple of good balls but his laser appears broken at the moment. Weak and pathetic challenge for their 2nd goal.

Wilson - 4 - Had no impact on the game at all. May be because he was closely marked and regularly fouled. Needs to toughen up and get used to that treatment if he wants to take his game up a level.

Holmes - 4 - Also no impact. 

Waghorn - 5 - Didn't offer much today and thought his movement didn't help out the defenders/midfielders bringing the ball out.

Nugent - Not even sure it's fair to give him a mark. What's the point of judging someone having balls punted at him, knowing the players marking him were 6 or 7 inches taller? Did his usual running. Thankless task but one he is  other carrying out to much effect.

Subs:

Cole - 7 - Gave the ball away a few times but at least brought calmness to the team and rounded off performance with a goal.

Marriott - 6 - Linked up play well although looked a little rusty

Josefzoon - 8 - Looked lively and caused them a lot of problems. That's the winger we all want to see. Is he capable of doing it in more than a cameo role...hope so!

Lampard - 4 - After tinkering with the team on Wednesday, we needed a big display today to justify it. What we got was a completely toothless performance for 45 minutes but at least a reaction for the second 45. Think he can be slow to change things even when it's obviously not working.

Fans - 5 - Expected a bigger following but understandable in the circumstances. Quiet first half but responded when the team finally delivered something to get behind.

Ref - 5 - Homer. Inconsistent. No major decisions wrong though I don't think. 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Jusy walking round to the away entrance. You were stood with another bloke. I only said Hi and your name but when you looked blank I decided it wasn't you and scuttled away! You haven't got a doppelganger, have you? 

Wasn’t Sinead was it?

3EEB88A4-7A18-4DFD-84F1-5F24279DC7BE.jpeg

I know that Nugent has a cheeky smile and is probably great around the training ground, whilst Bryson has been a good servant to the club; a hat trick against Forest cementing his place in folklore.

But does anyone else think their time is up?

They are both so frustrating to watch, a yard behind the pace, every touch a bit last ditch.

I would rather Frankie play one of the U23/U18 strikers (Stretton/Whittaker/Cresswell) instead of Nuge, or one of the midfielders (Sibley/Bird/Elsnik) instead of Brys.

Obviously I have no idea if any of these youngsters are going to make it, but I’d now rather see a youth product busting a gut than shouting at the TV as Nuge/Bryson arrive 2 minutes late for another mistimed tackle.

Mini-rant over.

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

Sounds about right. The bloke had short grey hair and I looked like the picture @David just posted but with a big green coat over a 17/18 home shirt. I’m going to have to sort myself out!

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just back from an 8 hour round journey thanks to an accident on M25. 

Over riding emotion is disappointment, mainly that they were quite comfortable for 80 minutes. 

There's also a tinge of realisation that today's performance has become the norm for away games and was not just a one off performance that we can forget about.

The first half tactics were abysmal to say the least. Second half we had a go and perhaps could have scraped a draw that I don't think we deserved.

My marks:-

Roos - 8 - Some excellent saves to keep us in the game. Commanded his area well at times. Marked down for a few too many kicks aimed towards Nugent and also parried a shot I thought he should have held.

Bogle - 5 - Looked good going forward in the second half but still hasn't learned how to stop crosses. 

Malone 4 - Really not sure what we have signed here. Much more comfortable attacking than defending. Maybe we should try him in midfield. Once again allowed crosses in unchallenged. 

Tomori - 7 - Silly booking but other than that pretty solid. Not sure why he doesn't bring the ball out of defence more.

Keogh - 8 - MOTM for me. Very solid as he has been for a while. Could see his frustration at the lack of movement in front of him.

Bryson - 4 - All of the points are for his 'off the ball' work. At the moment its pointless giving him the ball because it just goes back to where it came from. First touch is always back towards his own goal.

Huddlestone - 3 - Pretty much same criticism as Bryson. Played a couple of good balls but his laser appears broken at the moment. Weak and pathetic challenge for their 2nd goal.

Wilson - 4 - Had no impact on the game at all. May be because he was closely marked and regularly fouled. Needs to toughen up and get used to that treatment if he wants to take his game up a level.

Holmes - 4 - Also no impact. 

Waghorn - 5 - Didn't offer much today and thought his movement didn't help out the defenders/midfielders bringing the ball out.

Nugent - Not even sure it's fair to give him a mark. What's the point of judging someone having balls punted at him, knowing the players marking him were 6 or 7 inches taller? Did his usual running. Thankless task but one he is  other carrying out to much effect.

Subs:

Cole - 7 - Gave the ball away a few times but at least brought calmness to the team and rounded off performance with a goal.

Marriott - 6 - Linked up play well although looked a little rusty

Josefzoon - 8 - Looked lively and caused them a lot of problems. That's the winger we all want to see. Is he capable of doing it in more than a cameo role...hope so!

Lampard - 4 - After tinkering with the team on Wednesday, we needed a big display today to justify it. What we got was a completely toothless performance for 45 minutes but at least a reaction for the second 45. Think he can be slow to change things even when it's obviously not working.

Fans - 5 - Expected a bigger following but understandable in the circumstances. Quiet first half but responded when the team finally delivered something to get behind.

Ref - 5 - Homer. Inconsistent. No major decisions wrong though I don't think. 

Pretty much spot on summary other than I don't think the ref was particularly a homer and did OK....

11 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

I know that Nugent has a cheeky smile and is probably great around the training ground, whilst Bryson has been a good servant to the club; a hat trick against Forest cementing his place in folklore.

They are both so frustrating to watch, a yard behind the pace, every touch a bit last ditch.

I would rather Frankie play one of the U23/U18 strikers (Stretton/Whittaker/Cresswell) instead of Nuge, or one of the midfielders (Sibley/Bird/Elsnik) instead of Brys.

Obviously I have no idea if any of these youngsters are going to make it, but I’d now rather see a youth product busting a gut than shouting at the TV as Nuge/Bryson arrive 2 minutes late for another mistimed tackle.

Mini-rant over.

agreed 

Just got back from Falmer. Here are a few observations:

The best pie I’ve had all season. 

The train platform system leaving the ground is not effective 

Their fans were silent, in parts ours were great however, definitely think we could do with some more impactful songs 

Ashley Cole’s positional play is great 

Wish we’d kept CamJam instead of Nuge

Marriott is not best used sat deep and neither is Waghorn best used out wide, nor is Harry Wilson on the left.

Finally, all the way to Sussex and I didn’t even see the sea

6 minutes ago, Waffle said:

Finally, all the way to Sussex and I didn’t even see the sea

Me and junior Hants walked down to the seafront from the station. Saw the sea and those rusting remains of the pier that burnt down.

Thought Brighton was disappointing. Very tatty and most of the bars looked half derelict. 

You didn't miss much in truth mate!

29 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

Mini-rant over.

Why can’t Frank see that Nugent and Bryson are finished ? If we are trying to play a passing game forget Bryson with his poor 1st touch and sorry but Nugent is a total passenger and if Marriott is not fit then Waggy must start up top.

45 minutes ago, TimRam said:

First half toothless up front (he has already been mentioned) and Brighton fully deserved to be 2-0 up. Ht subs made a difference and with a bit more time we might have forced a draw and extra time.

Agree ,but in fairness BHA  didn't really have to do much in the 2 nd half and were happy to let us have pocession .Once we got the goal they panicked not knowing how to handle the last ten mins,either sit back or try and reform. So they made us look better than we actually were.

had a great opportunity of progressing today but didn't take it due to a very lack lustre performance in the first half.Waggers ran too to bottom of the pitch but never received any service and was more influential in our own penalty area.Nugent a great servant to the game but after 22 games without a goal it should be obvious to everyone at best he is only capable of holding up the ball and requires some one up front to lay it off too.

Think Bryson ,Nugent are no longer good enough for us if we are to progress as a better football team.

Pros, Thought Cole looked good,although obviously a short term fix, Marriott worked hard and made a difference. Hard to imagine how we ever managed without him considering he is a new signing.

Let's hope we can push on in the leauge,Championship results were not favourable today and we really screwed up against Ipswich.

FL  after match interview was honest but we've heard the talk before,from the snake and Clement without things a changing.Come on lads we can certainly finish top 6 and have right push for it in the play offs.

Archived