Brighton and Hove Albion vs Derby County Match thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

My main worry is that it is the same mistakes, both tactically and individually, that are costing us games. 

Too slow starting games. 

Too slow moving the ball.

Too many long balls to a lone striker.

Inability to stop crosses.

If I was seeing improvement in these areas I'd be a lot more comfortable, but it's like groundhog day.

Long gone are the quick passing and pressing and I'm not really sure what we are left with.

Extremely worrying that it's been pretty much Roos, Keogh or Tomori that have been MOTM for the last 2 months.

I absolutely agree and despite the family of Chris Martin haters he would be way better than the nugent option if only to lay the ball of to midfield runners of which we have lots off and win free kicks with Wilson around and yes he does score sometimes as well.

in terms of stopping crosses well malone has never done that in his career (10 clubs?) and bogle well he is young and will learn but his passing is more of a concern currently 

next summer is going to be extremely interesting on the signing front because this season our signings haven’t left me purring - Marriott decent and promising, waghorn average and never going to get better, jaflozon is never going to be much more than a sub and with malone I am sure we could have picked up a left back who could defend and Holmes could prove to be a decent signing- our loan signings of Wilson mount and tomori have been excellent 

16 hours ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

For a new stadium, it is really poor in terms of getting to it. No football ground/parking signage compared to how well PP is signed from nearly every major route into Derby.

Got lied to 3 times as to where to park by the police and then event staff, which meant despite being within a mile of the ground an hour before kick-off went round in (very slow) circles before getting sent down a something resembling a rabbit hole to a carpark which promptly charged me £15 to park there and ended up missing the kick off!!!

That train station looked awful afterwards too. Wouldn't want to do that after every home game.

Also got tapped for £11 for 2 hours in an NCP down by the front afterwards too!! 

All round, a Gopping place with idea's well above its station.

Brighton is terrible for parking. I was stung for something like £27 for 5 hours parking a couple of years back as I could not find anywhere to park near the sea front at a reasonable rate. After about 40 mins of driving around hopelessly trying to find somewhere that wasn't full (was a bank hol I think) or a rip-off, and with my blood pressure rising, I thought sod this and just went in to the next car park I saw. I have not been back since, that sort of fleecing leaves a bad taste in the mouth. If the local council thinks those sorts or rates are okay I will vote with my feet and encourage others to do so, absolutely scandalous. Looks like nothing has changed, £26 for your parking to visit the town is a disgrace.

Soon as I saw we weren't playing in our winning grey cup shirts I knew we'd lose the game.

Brighton just picked a load of big lads that our lightweight players ran scared of.

The second goal killed us off and you  could see it coming just before half time, we gave it to them on a plate, our midfield was just powder puff and has already struggled this season against teams willing to work hard to win the ball and get really stuck in there, as it became a case of our defence having to put long balls up to the front and skip out our midfield. I think Bryson was skipping back for both goals and the passage of play in the game when Tomorri threw a paddy, throwing his arms about in the air at players in front of him, as he had nobody to pass to and looked fed up of playing it across the back, summed up our poor attempt of winning this game.

I was frustrated watching this game after 30 minutes and thought if we where Millwall we'd be in Brighton's faces and scrapping to put them out the FA Cup 1-0. Instead we were playing football that was only going to create if Wilson was to create, and we are relying on him far too much. Unfortunately like Bryson and Huddlestone they all struggle in the tackle and if and when they did win the ball, they often made the wrong choice of pass and we lost it quickly again, putting us on the back foot time and time again.

Brighton unfortunately overtook us in the Championship and if they are ever stupid enough to get rid of their Manager he would be a great choice down the line.

We are going to need aggression in our play on Wednesday night against Millwall and we don't have it in our locker yet again when we need to battle through these types of games. No point wasting energy like Bryson and Nugent have being doing for a number of games, and even Waghorn started joining in, with the runaround thing in this game. We need to be more ruthless, compact and organised and be able to play the simple pass quicker when we required to move us up the pitch with purpose.

Up The Rams. We all need to work harder.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

My main worry is that it is the same mistakes, both tactically and individually, that are costing us games. 

Too slow starting games. 

Too slow moving the ball.

Too many long balls to a lone striker.

Inability to stop crosses.

If I was seeing improvement in these areas I'd be a lot more comfortable, but it's like groundhog day.

Long gone are the quick passing and pressing and I'm not really sure what we are left with.

Extremely worrying that it's been pretty much Roos, Keogh or Tomori that have been MOTM for the last 2 months.

Other than that we are potential world beaters ?

7 hours ago, KCG said:

To be honest I find both extremes to be pathetic. I absolutely believe I am correct in having a go though at people who think theirs is the only view that counts. There are some on here who bully anyone who isn't a happy clapper, and they'll accuse me and others of being wrist-slashers when we are clearly not.

giphy.gif

The big question was should Bryson got back and  made a challenge to stop both goals ???  Counter argument is that there were  plenty defenders back already. Knockaert on his weaker foot (Banks would have saved it in his prime) and Bissouma shot that hit the post on his weaker foot would not have been stopped whatever.

WBA are the team to avoid in the 2 leg play-offs.

Finally got to watch the game, and altho we were far from our best, again it wasn 't as bad as it sounded on the radio.

Whoever it was who said we are missing someone to play the chris Martin role was spot on.

in the first half we were hitting stupid pointless long balls to nugent

In tne second half marriott dropped deeper into  pockets of space and we were better. 

We started to doze off on 30 minutes and that cost us for the first goal. Similarly huddlestone playing as if emerging from hibernation cost us for the second. Bad time to concede. 

Bryson did a lot of thankless running but we looked short of creativity in midfield. Whilst huddz can play wonderful long balls over the top, a higher tempo shorter passing game generally suits us better. 

Ludicrous free kick from bogle in the first half, where we have an opportunity to put it into the box, and he smacks a misdirected back pass 40 yards towards keogh and tomori. That deserved a clip round the ear. 

11 minutes ago, Perseus said:

Bissouma shot that hit the post on his weaker foot would not have been stopped whatever.

It might if huddz hadn't bent over and offered his @rse 

20 minutes ago, Perseus said:

The big question was should Bryson got back and  made a challenge to stop both goals ???  Counter argument is that there were  plenty defenders back already. Knockaert on his weaker foot (Banks would have saved it in his prime) and Bissouma shot that hit the post on his weaker foot would not have been stopped whatever.

The same West Brom that would have lost the same number of games as us if it wasn't for that late penalty (the dive for which Gayle has been suspended for)?

As they say, anybody can be beat anybody in the league especially when it comes to the play offs but, on current form, I wouldn't fancy our chances against any of the top six.

17 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Finally got to watch the game, and altho we were far from our best, again it wasn 't as bad as it sounded on the radio.

Whoever it was who said we are missing someone to play the chris Martin role was spot on.

In tne second half marriott dropped deeper into  pockets of space and we were better. 

We started to doze off on 30 minutes and that cost us for the first goal. Similarly huddlestone playing as if emerging from hibernation cost us for the second. Bad time to concede. 

Bryson did a lot of thankless running but we looked short of creativity in midfield. Whilst huddz can play wonderful long balls over the top, a higher tempo shorter passing game generally suits us better. 

Ludicrous free kick from bogle in the first half, where we have an opportunity to put it into the box, and he smacks a misdirected back pass 40 yards towards keogh and tomori. That deserved a clip round the ear. 

i'm struggling to remember one of Hudds's long balls which didn't either run through to their keeper or just run out of play on Saturday. Oh, apart from one diagonal in the first half to Bogle who smacked it into row ZZ...?

Long precise passes are one thing, gently lofted passes that are not particularly into space or to a player someting else...

29 minutes ago, Perseus said:

Hmm not sure Brysons name popped into my mind with both goals.

The first was simple really Malone leaves his man on the flank alone yet again to their player on the edge of the box who already had Tamori and I think homes on him, why he did this only he knows.

result being simple ball to malones man , had so much time to pick out the pass = goal.  So glad Cole came on at half time. Malone can be woeful at times.

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We have, Waghorn played a similar role against Hull scored twice and then got stuck out on the wing whilst Nugent took over .

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

i'm struggling to remember one of Hudds's long balls which didn't either run through to their keeper or just run out of play on Saturday. Oh, apart from one diagonal in the first half to Bogle who smacked it into row ZZ...?

Long precise passes are one thing, gently lofted passes that are not particularly into space or to a player someting else...

Not even the one which led to our goal? ?

I'm a big fan of Huddlestone but it was plain to see he wasn't at his best at the weekend. That said, his two passes created the best two openings of the game for us. 

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

We have, Waghorn played a similar role against Hull scored twice and then got stuck out on the wing whilst Nugent took over .

I don't see waghorn or nugent coming short and bringing others into play.

Marriott did it, but it seems a waste of marriott.

8 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Not even the one which lead to our goal? ?

I'm a big fan of Huddlestone but it was plain to see he wasn't at his best at the weekend. That said, his two passes created the best two openings of the game for us. 

see, i didn't think of that as being one of his long balls, but the parallax from right behind the goals might be deceiving. Thought Hudds was well inside their half and it was a kind of angled mid range chip over to Zoon.

in the first half he was hardly making it up to the half way line before punting it forwards.

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

see, i didn't think of that as being one of his long balls, but the parallax from right behind the goals might be deceiving. Thought Hudds was well inside their half and it was a kind of angled mid range chip over to Zoon.

in the first half he was hardly making it up to the half way line before punting it forwards.

Looks well over 20 yards, 5 yards or so from the D of the centre circle to inside the 18, it wasn't a short one that's for sure. Brilliant ball but agree there were many wayward ones!

With respect to the bottom bit, probably helped that Brighton sat back soaking up the pressure second half. When they were hassling and intending to go forward in the first half the ball was continuously coming back and our midfield rarely stayed over half way with possession. 

1 hour ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Hmm not sure Brysons name popped into my mind with both goals.

The first was simple really Malone leaves his man on the flank alone yet again to their player on the edge of the box who already had Tamori and I think homes on him, why he did this only he knows.

result being simple ball to malones man , had so much time to pick out the pass = goal.  So glad Cole came on at half time. Malone can be woeful at times.

Wilson was ball watching for the first goal. Bryson was lacking urgency (but the defenders were there to defend).

Cole cut out Bruno's overlap later on. That's experience over youngsters. Cole did what three defenders failed to stop Bissouma for the cross for the first goal

The second goal was just hard to prevent legally. Got Bissouma on his weaker foot and that should have been good enough most times!

Archived