Brighton and Hove Albion vs Derby County Match thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Away to Wall in the quarters! Bugger!

Now there’s a game we’d have deffo lost if I’ve ever seen one. Exactly the sort of away game we’ve had nightmares in this season, wasn’t much fun when I went earlier in the season. We’d have more chance against Man U

On 17 February 2019 at 19:41, Inverurie Ram said:

Soon as I saw we weren't playing in our winning grey cup shirts I knew we'd lose the game.

Brighton just picked a load of big lads that our lightweight players ran scared of.

The second goal killed us off and you  could see it coming just before half time, we gave it to them on a plate, our midfield was just powder puff and has already struggled this season against teams willing to work hard to win the ball and get really stuck in there, as it became a case of our defence having to put long balls up to the front and skip out our midfield. I think Bryson was skipping back for both goals and the passage of play in the game when Tomorri threw a paddy, throwing his arms about in the air at players in front of him, as he had nobody to pass to and looked fed up of playing it across the back, summed up our poor attempt of winning this game.

I was frustrated watching this game after 30 minutes and thought if we where Millwall we'd be in Brighton's faces and scrapping to put them out the FA Cup 1-0. Instead we were playing football that was only going to create if Wilson was to create, and we are relying on him far too much. Unfortunately like Bryson and Huddlestone they all struggle in the tackle and if and when they did win the ball, they often made the wrong choice of pass and we lost it quickly again, putting us on the back foot time and time again.

Brighton unfortunately overtook us in the Championship and if they are ever stupid enough to get rid of their Manager he would be a great choice down the line.

We are going to need aggression in our play on Wednesday night against Millwall and we don't have it in our locker yet again when we need to battle through these types of games. No point wasting energy like Bryson and Nugent have being doing for a number of games, and even Waghorn started joining in, with the runaround thing in this game. We need to be more ruthless, compact and organised and be able to play the simple pass quicker when we required to move us up the pitch with purpose.

Up The Rams. We all need to work harder.

1-0 to Millwall in the Quarter Final it is then...........

6 hours ago, Perseus said:

Cole cut out Bruno's overlap later on. That's experience over youngsters. Cole did what three defenders failed to stop Bissouma for the cross for the first goal

3 defenders didn’t fail to stop the cross for the first goal , Malone failed to be there - to stop the cross. Not an isolated case unfortunately 

1 minute ago, Ruda Harliss said:

3 defenders didn’t fail to stop the cross for the first goal , Malone failed to be there - to stop the cross. Not an isolated case unfortunately 

Our left back position has been problematic for a long time When we signed Malone we really signed a replica of Olsson.  Both like to get forward and indeed have sometimes played on the wing,  Neither are naturally switched on defenders.  When we signed Forsyth we actually signed a player who spent much of his career as a midfielder.  Lapses are inevitable . If you have total football players worth £30 million who are adaptable enough too read the gaps quickly and good enough to cover not really a problem - obviously we aren't in that market .  Will likely be something we revisit in the summer I think .

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Our left back position has been problematic for a long time When we signed Malone we really signed a replica of Olsson.  Both like to get forward and indeed have sometimes played on the wing,  Neither are naturally switched on defenders.  When we signed Forsyth we actually signed a player who spent much of his career as a midfielder.  Lapses are inevitable . If you have total football players worth £30 million who are adaptable enough too read the gaps quickly and good enough to cover not really a problem - obviously we aren't in that market .  Will likely be something we revisit in the summer I think .

Six players expected the cross and none anticipated the cut back. When Bruno did the same thing later on, Cole was just that bit quicker to cut it out. I think someone ought to have tracked Knockaert, to get close enough to him so he would have fluffed his shot.

Good left backs are not so easy to find.  Even PL full backs (except for the top 6 clubs) can be a bit naff at stopping crosses.

I think you are being slightly harsh on the first goal. Holmes and malone could have done more, but the rest did ok.

its evident that malone was not tight enough to the winger to stop the cross. But thereafter his position blocks the line of any potential cross into the 6 yd box. That fact combined with knockaerts movement creates the split second decision for the cut back. Knockaert's run from outside left to inside right is clever and difficult to track. 

Earlier in the move Bruno's superb quick first touch takes out bryson. There is also a slightly lucky break of the ball to Bissouma but Brighton are moving the ball at speed. (Compare and contrast with our ponderous play out from the back). wilson runs 50 yards to get back but can't quite get there because they are moving the ball so quickly. (At the start of the move he his closing down bruno!).  Even huddz busts a gut to get back. The cross is struck hard, and all those little split seconds that brighton gain by doing everything fast eventually add up. Knockaert has a fraction of a second to get his first time shot away and Roos is a split second too late to dive.

Its good quick play by them starting with bruno's quick first touch. 

On another day knockaert's shot might be saved; bissouma's cross might be blocked; or bryson might have stopped the move by conceding a throw. Roos is probably just 1/100th of a second from saving it. Very fine margins but not a fluke. 

People seem upset about the fact Brighton drew Millwall in the cup.

a) Millwall always seem to be a good cup team and would probably have easily beat us at their ground, with us putting in a similar performance to Saturday.

b) A bit 'out there' but we may not have even drew Millwall if we won. Without going too deep into it any minute change in history changes future events in ways you couldn't even imagine. Unconsciously, whoever drew the balls could have put his hand in a different position if the teams assigned to the balls was different.

What i'm trying to say is... Does it matter?

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

I think you are being slightly harsh on the first goal. Holmes and malone could have done more, but the rest did ok.

its evident that malone was not tight enough to the winger to stop the cross. But thereafter his position blocks the line of any potential cross into the 6 yd box. That fact combined with knockaerts movement creates the split second decision for the cut back. Knockaert's run from outside left to inside right is clever and difficult to track. 

Earlier in the move Bruno's superb quick first touch takes out bryson. There is also a slightly lucky break of the ball to Bissouma but Brighton are moving the ball at speed. (Compare and contrast with our ponderous play out from the back). wilson runs 50 yards to get back but can't quite get there because they are moving the ball so quickly. (At the start of the move he his closing down bruno!).  Even huddz busts a gut to get back. The cross is struck hard, and all those little split seconds that brighton gain by doing everything fast eventually add up. Knockaert has a fraction of a second to get his first time shot away and Roos is a split second too late to dive.

Its good quick play by them starting with bruno's quick first touch. 

On another day knockaert's shot might be saved; bissouma's cross might be blocked; or bryson might have stopped the move by conceding a throw. Roos is probably just 1/100th of a second from saving it. Very fine margins but not a fluke. 

I agree.

5 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

A bit 'out there' but we may not have even drew Millwall if we won. Without going too deep into it any minute change in history changes future events in ways you couldn't even imagine. Unconsciously, whoever drew the balls could have put his hand in a different position if the teams assigned to the balls was different.

If a butterfly sneezes in Peru does a tree fall in (or on) Forest?

I am not a prolific poster, I am a glass half full type of guy usually, but I feel I need to make a negative post about this game. Maybe because I was severely hung over from a wedding the day before but the whole team performance (with maybe the exception of Roos) was about as lethargic and not bothered as I was.

They did nothing to get me up from the horizontal position I was taking up on my sofa let alone the edge of it.

The first goal was well taken but I cannot believe the space he was afforded, he seemed to be in a gap that either Huddlestone, Wilson or even Bogle (given where he had come from ) should have filled. For me Huddlestone was filling for Tomori who was dragged out because Malone and Holmes were incapable of dealing with the wing play of Brighton.

The second goal goes down to Huddlestone losing the ball and then being beaten easily before Tomori was completely asleep being beaten to the rebound.

I still think the hype around us improving in the second half can be largely put down to the fact that Brighton had a 2 goal lead and were prepared to let us try and break them down.

Even the every ready battery Bryson seem to not be at the races.

Unfortunately I am completely underwhelmed and think that at the current form we are showing the playoffs seem a million miles away.

Am I wong ? Try and cheer me back up please.

Seeing the draw makes me even sadder, whats the betting the two Manc's meet in the semis too.....

On 16/02/2019 at 16:19, BobbyD said:

He is Im atraid.

His teams are scared to death of their opposition, no matter what league they play in.

His players are frightened to death of holding the ball or even, god forbid, playing it forward to their team mates

They are being outplayed by better footballing players who are earning a fraction of ours 

Any team who's  first thought is to take free kicks awarded in the oppositions half back inside their own half  - wow 

There doesnt appear to be any forward strategy of any sort 

The club are being taken for a ride by this Frank/Jody thing - both of them are out of their depth 

Dumbest thing I've read all day

gal.jpg

3 hours ago, Dethorn said:

I am not a prolific poster, I am a glass half full type of guy usually, but I feel I need to make a negative post about this game. Maybe because I was severely hung over from a wedding the day before but the whole team performance (with maybe the exception of Roos) was about as lethargic and not bothered as I was.

They did nothing to get me up from the horizontal position I was taking up on my sofa let alone the edge of it.

The first goal was well taken but I cannot believe the space he was afforded, he seemed to be in a gap that either Huddlestone, Wilson or even Bogle (given where he had come from ) should have filled. For me Huddlestone was filling for Tomori who was dragged out because Malone and Holmes were incapable of dealing with the wing play of Brighton.

The second goal goes down to Huddlestone losing the ball and then being beaten easily before Tomori was completely asleep being beaten to the rebound.

I still think the hype around us improving in the second half can be largely put down to the fact that Brighton had a 2 goal lead and were prepared to let us try and break them down.

Even the every ready battery Bryson seem to not be at the races.

Unfortunately I am completely underwhelmed and think that at the current form we are showing the playoffs seem a million miles away.

Am I wong ? Try and cheer me back up please.

Seeing the draw makes me even sadder, whats the betting the two Manc's meet in the semis too.....

Brighton hadn’t exactly created loads of chances before their first goal. Admittedly a bit more than us but I wasn’t stood there thinking “blimey, we’re hanging on here”.

On 17/02/2019 at 21:41, HantsRam said:

Have we heard from @SimonBHAyet?

Least we ought to wish them well in the next round. And see if he can guess the combined age when Bruno came up against Ashley Cole in the 2nd half ?

Had a look on the evening of the game, didn't see anything I felt compelled to reply too so left you lot to it ?

I was a bit nervous about what would happen if you got back into it as we didn't really have much available to us on the bench in terms of trying to pull a result out the bag. Thankfully the starting XI were good enough to get the job done. 

From our perspective, it's crazy how much strength in depth we have now. I've seen it said they we played our reserves, and yeah, it was 8 changes I think but if any of them started in the league you wouldn't exactly be surprised or making excuses about having to field a weakened team (except perhaps Button in goal, and Burn as a new signing). 

Derby much better second half, braver on the ball, but lacked a bit of magic to cause us problems. We are, usually, a very organised well drilled side though and despite recent form, we are very strong at home. Outside of the big 6 only Leicester and Burnley have won at the Amex since we were promoted. 

Huge opportunity now for our first proper trip to Wembley since 1991, I'm not counting Tottenham away in the league! Will no doubt be a tough game at Millwall and we'll probably rotate the squad again but better than getting City away, or United like last season.

13 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

Had a look on the evening of the game, didn't see anything I felt compelled to reply too so left you lot to it ?

I was a bit nervous about what would happen if you got back into it as we didn't really have much available to us on the bench in terms of trying to pull a result out the bag. Thankfully the starting XI were good enough to get the job done. 

From our perspective, it's crazy how much strength in depth we have now. I've seen it said they we played our reserves, and yeah, it was 8 changes I think but if any of them started in the league you wouldn't exactly be surprised or making excuses about having to field a weakened team (except perhaps Button in goal, and Burn as a new signing). 

Derby much better second half, braver on the ball, but lacked a bit of magic to cause us problems. We are, usually, a very organised well drilled side though and despite recent form, we are very strong at home. Outside of the big 6 only Leicester and Burnley have won at the Amex since we were promoted. 

Huge opportunity now for our first proper trip to Wembley since 1991, I'm not counting Tottenham away in the league! Will no doubt be a tough game at Millwall and we'll probably rotate the squad again but better than getting City away, or United like last season.

We should had a pentley how hell ref never saw it I will never know and then your player hand balled it.

16 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

You didn't answer the quiz question mate.

I think it's 76.

But yeah....your team, well it might not have been your usual starting xi , but they have all been premier  league starters I think. So all the "It's Brighton reserves" was nonsense. 

Far better than us 1st half. And our forward tactics were very poor throughout,  playing right into your big ch hands.

No complaints about the result. Just about our apparent lack of desire and quality. 

Archived