Brighton and Hove Albion vs Derby County Match thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor today no excuses from myself, We all know it was poor me, you and Frank, felt sorry today for all those 1000s who travelled down at stupid oh clock, or who have paid to stay in a hotel, but that's football for you, dust ourselves down and get a very important 3 points on Wednesday night v Millwall, which I think we will do. P.S for those of you who went down today great support , could hear you all second half driving the boys on, you where a credit again today, as our away support usually is.

Very disappointing performance - last ten / fifteen just about salvaged the trip but not a great deal to shout out.

Pros: Roos brilliant - kept us in it, Cole was finding space down the left but few balls to him (and great finish), zoon seemed to tip the balance when he came on. Brighton serve pints after full time and The Pond has a decent set of beers on.

cons: pretty much everything else. Slow buildup, no desire to move or create space, left to whack it forward and hope the defender spillls their clearing header - which we seemed quite good at doing... I got the wrong replacement bus and only arrived ten minutes before kickoff. 

31 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

It was just such a disappointing performance - it wasnt unreasonable to hope for more.

Something appears to have gone badly wrong again at the club at this time of year.

The belief and positivity seems to have seeped out of the team , both at the management and player level

The pointless repeatedly playing across the back to then lose the ball to the pressing opposition

The confusion our goalie has when his ten yard pass to his full backs is blocked off

The desire from two of our midfielders to always to look  backwards when they receive the ball

Passing the ball back into our half when we have free kicks in the opposition half - what on earth is that all about ?

The whole thing seems to stem from a lack of positivity and belief - its almost shambolic 

The last four away games have been at Accrington, Preston, Ipswich and Brighton B. All of them awful to watch and totally uninspiring. The grim reality is that these performances have been worse than those seen under Clement and Rowett.

When you see teams like Bristol, Preston, Leeds and Norwich all perform so much better than Rams with less resources . 

Makes you wonder why 

At the moment, Frank is failing. Be interesting to see how long he gets to turn it around. 

Frank is failing?? Is he really??? Edge of playoffs, 8 points from last 4 matches in the league. Not saying the away performances recently have been good, they haven't, but I think Frank is doing well- 1st season in management.

Gutted. Didn't do ourselves justice. Nugent as lone striker given long ball scraps to fight over against two huge centre halves. Not his fault today but the lad's had his day...as has Bryson. Runs around like headless chicken but no end product. Bogle is nowhere near the finished article yet. Stick him in the U23's for a couple of years then we might have a player. Keogh can't pick a forward pass, so plays it sidewards. Huddlestone's good on the ball given time and space... didn't get it today.

Took a 38 year old has been to drag us back into the tie. Not a great day for Derby County..

5 minutes ago, Davide said:

Frank is failing?? Is he really??? Edge of playoffs, 8 points from last 4 matches in the league. Not saying the away performances recently have been good, they haven't, but I think Frank is doing well- 1st season in management.

Totally agree, we are in alright form, points wise good, and with Mount, Marriott coming back from injury and Cole and King now added to the squad, I believe the next 15 games will be very interesting, and I for one can not wait, could be a season to remember?

1 hour ago, KCG said:

I wish fans would stop making excuses for poor performances. It doesn't make you any less of a fan to recognise when we have been poor!

There is a big difference between recognising you have been poor and being irrational and hyperbolic though isn’t there (not aiming this at you, but you must admit that there are some over the top responses to defeats)?.  What then happens is that people feel the need to inject some objectivity into the discussion and that is taken as ‘defending’ a poor performance.  I don’t think it is.  It is very easy to describe a poor performance without reliance on such adjectives as ‘disgrace’ (which it probably wasn’t).  

I just think you can say it was a bad performance without turning it into a catastrophe.  You also aren’t less of a fan if you don’t want to get the razor blades out after every loss.  

From what I heard (and so I am going on the description of the game by Talksport rather than my own eyes) we played very badly in the first half, better for much of the second and were on top for the last 10.  I would rather we had given them a more difficult game and I think we are capable of that.  I am disappointed we are not progressing, but I am not overly concerned about the club’s current position or the direction we are heading.  

6 minutes ago, Davide said:

He is Im atraid.

His teams are scared to death of their opposition, no matter what league they play in.

His players are frightened to death of holding the ball or even, god forbid, playing it forward to their team mates

They are being outplayed by better footballing players who are earning a fraction of ours 

Any team who's  first thought is to take free kicks awarded in the oppositions half back inside their own half  - wow 

There doesnt appear to be any forward strategy of any sort 

The club are being taken for a ride by this Frank/Jody thing - both of them are out of their depth 

7 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

He is Im atraid.

His teams are scared to death of their opposition, no matter what league they play in.

His players are frightened to death of holding the ball or even, god forbid, playing it forward to their team mates

They are being outplayed by better footballing players who are earning a fraction of ours 

Any team who's  first thought is to take free kicks awarded in the oppositions half back inside their own half  - wow 

The club are being taken for a ride by this Frank/Jody thing - both of them are out of their depth 

So we were scared at Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, St Mary's the Hawthorns, the Riverside?  

If you think this team is scared to death to hold on to the ball, you obviously did 't watch much under Rowett.

Money means nothing, Lampard hasn't give the players 'big wages' that was before him.

7 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

He is Im atraid.

Bobby. I understand what you’re saying and have similar worries myself. I wouldn’t go as far as to say he’s failing or he’s out of his depth. However what I would say is that he hasn’t been as brilliant as many people in the media say(he has many friends in the media). They are trying to make him out to be something he’s not. I think he’s doing an ok job, not great but not terribly. I wish Chelsea fans would tone it down a bit though because many of them are making him out to be the messiah and that without him we’d be nothing but a midtable championship club  when I wish they’d be more open to understand that we’ve been up and around the play offs for 5 years.

6 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

He is Im atraid.

I suppose they looked scared to death away at Man U and Chelsea away in the cups. Against WBA away we must have been like rabbits in the headlights.

Agreed our performance, even some games we've won or drawn, haven't been good for quite a few weeks but, to say Frank is failing when we're seventh in league in his first ever season is ridiculous. 

If he is failing, are you suggesting he should be sacked?

Poor performance till the last 20.

The midfield is dysfunctional and has been for a few years now. We have some good players in there but the blend is totally wrong.

A clearout is coming in the summer and it’s about time, we need to sort the midfield out,   with a priority being a technically proficient battler (a bit like a BJ who can pass and has good positional sense).

We also need to go with Waghorn up top when Marriott isn’t playing. I’m afraid Nuge doesn’t offer much these days which is a shame.

Other than that we aren’t in to bad shape.

Genuine question, especially for all those who ‘raise their eyes’ and throw the hysterical accusations about when fans are critical (which doesn’t mean negative, wrist slashing and miserable tbw- see the OED) about our performances. 

What are the positives about our performances in 2019? 

I’ll start with Roos, Keogh and Tomori. The last 2 mentioned openly displayed their frustration at the rest of the team today (you see, ‘critical’).

18 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

He is Im atraid.

Wow, you are way off the mark, Frank and Jody for myself, and many other right minded fans are doing a good job, you are so over the top, last 4 league games we have taken 8 points, beat Millwall on Wednesday and we are in the top 6, we have important players returning like Marriott and Mount, we have just added two quality players to the squad in King and Cole, we have a very exciting last 15 cup finals to look forward to, so stop your over the top negativity and get behind your club. I think you could end up eating your own words, Derby are in a good place right now.

21 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

He is Im atraid.

Once you quoted salary as being a barometer for a players performance your post just becomes embarrassing. You are of course entitled to an opinion, as is anyone, however maybe read what you put before pressing that submit button, I’m sure FL will be the first to admit that we have a long way to go before we reach the level of performance he wants, but as pointed out we have already turned over teams in the PL, and gone to other tol sides in this league and beat them.

Not a lot I can add , maybe you believe 7th  and our progress in the cups as a failure, which is fair enough but at least back it up with something that reflects the season to date.

33 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Bobby. I understand what you’re saying and have similar worries myself. I wouldn’t go as far as to say he’s failing or he’s out of his depth. However what I would say is that he hasn’t been as brilliant as many people in the media say(he has many friends in the media). They are trying to make him out to be something he’s not. I think he’s doing an ok job, not great but not terribly. I wish Chelsea fans would tone it down a bit though because many of them are making him out to be the messiah and that without him we’d be nothing but a midtable championship club  when I wish they’d be more open to understand that we’ve been up and around the play offs for 5 years.

Why on earth do you care what #carefreedaily has to say

Evening all. Just on a train somewhere on the south coast heading hantswards. 

Shame we couldn't quite bring it back today. Our tactics looked a bit off. We seemed to be trying to create overloads on the flanks but then play out from the back straight down the middle where Tom would be completely on his own against 2 or 3.

They had some massive lumps. And we didn't do enough to move them around. They weren't any great shakes but nothing much was happening for us today. 

Shout out for the group of lads giving their keeper Button grief all 2nd half. "You're just a poo Cadburys chocolate ". Very amusing ?

Archived