Watchable telly

dog

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Ok, so @Stive Pesley has put me off Kaleidoscope, what about Severance?

Very highly rated . Loads of people saying it's one of the best things they've ever seen etc etc.

I think I bailed out after five episodes. Couldn't face any more of it. For me, it was just becoming a chore to watch. But, then again, I'm like that with a lot of things, and especially things that are extremely popular! So give it a go ?

On 24/01/2023 at 15:30, 86 Hair Islands said:

Ah, glad a few others like it. I loved the first series and am waiting until I can grab the whole show and binge watch it with pizza and beers, preferably when the other half is at here parents ?

BTW, Jeremy Renner broke over 30 bones in that snowplough accident. Sounds horrific, but out of danger and mending well apparently. 

30 bones!

They had to count them all

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall!

2 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Severance is fantastic. Slow build but great. Can’t wait for season 2. 

Read really good things about it but for whatever reason (I might just have been preoccupied or irritable), I didn't even make it through episode 1. Is it worth persisting with? It did sound like it would be the kind of show I'd like. Maybe I should give it another go...

6 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Read really good things about it but for whatever reason (I might just have been preoccupied or irritable), I didn't even make it through episode 1. Is it worth persisting with? It did sound like it would be the kind of show I'd like. Maybe I should give it another go...

I am sure you were more likely to have been preoccupied rather than irritable.

Over It Rose GIF by HULU

After 4 episodes Mrs Badger is getting a bit bored with Severance so that may be on its way out. I'd be ok with sticking with it, but I'm not. too arsed.

I'm not quite sure why, maybe it wasn't on a channel we had in the US, but we never saw Bloodline and it gets good reviews on IMDB. Any good?

I'm most interested in hearing the opinions of @86 Hair Islands and @David as they tend to see eye-to-eye.

12 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

After 4 episodes Mrs Badger is getting a bit bored with Severance so that may be on its way out. I'd be ok with sticking with it, but I'm not. too arsed.

I'm not quite sure why, maybe it wasn't on a channel we had in the US, but we never saw Bloodline and it gets good reviews on IMDB. Any good?

I'm most interested in hearing the opinions of @86 Hair Islands and @David as they tend to see eye-to-eye.

Never seen or heard of Bloodline - nice IMDB rating though.

As for @David, he's ok with me, even if he does like rubbish telly ?

EDIT - Looks like it bombs in season 3 - 3.8 rating for the show finale!!! 

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

19 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Not to put you off yet another show, but we watched Bloodline and the first season was enjoyable. However, it seemed to fall foul of that "yay we've been renewed - now what?" curse where the makers didn't seem to have fully thought the plotline through beyond season 1.

As a result the second two seasons go a bit all over the place and get a bit far-fetched - leading to a fairly subdued ending

17 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Not to put you off yet another show, but we watched Bloodline and the first season was enjoyable. However, it seemed to fall foul of that "yay we've been renewed - now what?" curse where the makers didn't seem to have fully thought the plotline through beyond season 1.

As a result the second two seasons go a bit all over the place and get a bit far-fetched - leading to a fairly subdued ending

angry star trek GIF

8 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I likewise enjoyed it again at first then felt it tailed off and slowly I started to look for alternatives. 

The main brother wasn't great either, felt a bit fake (think very poor man's Alec Baldwin), but 'Danny' (from Prison Break) was good and I think Linda Cardellini is absolutely gorgeous so always worth a watch.

Edited by Chester40

On 06/02/2023 at 16:47, Bob The Badger said:

Who has opinions on the ending of Happy Valley?

I agree that the phrmacist bit felt a bit cluttered, not sure if it was kind of a Columbo nod "oh, just one more thing" but I guess it was trying to leave you conclude that her work carried on after her. My challenge on that part was that you had been taken through so much of the story, it took up half the final series, you kind of felt cheated not to see the conclusion of all that you had been through. Agree on the Tommy Lee final scenes, I struggle to understand how you can look at one photo album and go from someone who wanted to burn their house down to someone who decided they realised their mistakes.

But the main flaw for me was Ryan, if you thought there was some bad acting in Line of Duty that took the proverbial Hob Nob. Imagine waiting eight years to do the follow up only to find that one of your co-stars is completely incapable of acting. Ryan, frowns, looks at games console, frowns, looks out window, frowns, breathes out deeply before frowning again. Even Pinnochio would have described it as wooden.

But most series have pretty poor endings I am afraid. I know I say it every time but I loved the way Ashes to Ashes wrapped up and besides that I'm struggling. Oh, Only Fools & Horses, yeah you can have that one as well.

Edited by BaaLocks

On 04/02/2023 at 12:18, Stive Pesley said:

Same here.

I'd much rather watch foreign dramas (subtitles - never dubbed) and always enjoy them immensely. I don't know why British drama is such a turn off for me

Sometimes though I do wonder when I'm watching a foreign show, whether what I think is cool/quirky/interesting is just as bland to their natives

For example - have way through watching French police drama "Spiral" I suddenly stopped and thought...

am i just watching the French version of 'The Bill'? 

I’ve got into some of the foreign dramas over the last year.  Done most of the ones on iPlayer and a couple of the Walter Presents dramas.  Currently watching Der Pass on Now TV.  Series 1 done and part way through Series 2.  Really good, gritty drama.

I also find they’re good for keeping me off the beer in the evening when I’ve got to focus on reading and looking at the pictures ?.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I agree that the phrmacist bit felt a bit cluttered, not sure if it was kind of a Columbo nod "oh, just one more thing" but I guess it was trying to leave you conclude that her work carried on after her. My challenge on that part was that you had been taken through so much of the story, it took up half the final series, you kind of felt cheated not to see the conclusion of all that you had been through. Agree on the Tommy Lee final scenes, I struggle to understand how you can look at one photo album and go from someone who wanted to burn their house down to someone who decided they realised their mistakes.

But the main flaw for me was Ryan, if you thought there was some bad acting in Line of Duty that took the proverbial Hob Nob. Imagine waiting eight years to do the follow up only to find that one of your co-stars is completely incapable of acting. Ryan, frowns, looks at games console, frowns, looks out window, frowns, breathes out deeply before frowning again. Even Pinnochio would have described it as wooden.

But most series have pretty poor endings I am afraid. I know I say it every time but I loved the way Ashes to Ashes wrapped up and besides that I'm struggling. Oh, Only Fools & Horses, yeah you can have that one as well.

I'd vote for Black Adder as the best ever. 

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

The Margate special of this will simply never be topped 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

The hype surrounding 'Happy Valley' finally got to us, and over the last 4 or 5 days, we have ploughed through the first two series.

Although enjoyable, my first thought was "It's a bit predictable".

I watched a couple of episodes a few years ago, and just found it depressing.