Watchable telly

dog

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix.

Documentary where a scientist, clearly pissed off at having his theories dismissed and being labelled a "pseudoscientist", goes around the world looking at Ancient Sculptures and Structures to prove that there were previous Advanced Races/Humans on Earth wayyyyyyyyy before accepted science states there was.

It is very intriguing and whilst he is clearly refuting common and accepted beliefs, he's clearly stating it's questions and mysteries that need better study.

Watched one of these. His 'all archaeologists hate me' attitude got tiresome very quickly. To the point where Her Indoors, trained in archaeology, actually did start to hate him.

Anyone else been watching Tokyo Vice? Really enjoying it. Expected a fairly route cop drama in an unusual location, but it has much more depth than that as the story develops. 

Up to Ep.6 now and would certainly recommend it if you like a story that slowly unfolds. I wasn't sure after 2 episodes, but now totally hooked.

Edited by therealhantsram

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Anyone else been watching Tokyo Vice? Really enjoying it. Expected a fairly route cop drama in an unusual location, but it has much more depth than that as the story develops. 

Up to Ep.6 now and would certainly recommend it if you like a story that slowly unfolds. I wasn't sure after 2 episodes, but now totally hooked.

Yes, only on episode 4, but loving it. 

21 hours ago, Rev said:

Not so sure this is watchable, in an enjoyable way, but it's certainly interesting.

A few weeks back, I mentioned a documentary filmed in the style of Adam Curtis, here's his most recent series available on BBC IPlayer.

Russia 1985-1999: TraumaZone, Series 1: 1. Part One - 1985 to 1989: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0d3kjmp via @bbciplayer

Pure contemporary footage from the archive, no narration, just captions, moves from the sublime to the ridiculous to the heartbreaking, often in the same minute. 

It's an investment, and I'm glad I made it.

A lot of this was flimed in the time i lived there - not sure many will have found it as nostalgic as I did. I certainly took time to remind myself there is so much to love in the country of Russia - and how abused that countries population was in the years when it was at its weakest (most, but not all, by it's own). So much that could have gone differently, so much lost along the way.

But I do agree, it's not quite "8 out of 10 Cats"

2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

A lot of this was flimed in the time i lived there - not sure many will have found it as nostalgic as I did. I certainly took time to remind myself there is so much to love in the country of Russia - and how abused that countries population was in the years when it was at its weakest (most, but not all, by it's own). So much that could have gone differently, so much lost along the way.

So many parts of the story I'd pretty much forgot about, or paid little attention to at the time, like the attack on the parliament building. 

It was fascinating to see the lives of ordinary Russians, and the sheer amount of grind and graft they put in, just to survive day to day.

The leadership, both Gorbachev and Yeltsin, seemed hopelessly naive, and let the worst of the Western capitalists be their shepherds to democracy.

After I'd finished the series, I listened to Adam Curtis on a politics Joe podcast. He makes the point that empires normally collapse very slowly, over decades or more, yet the Soviet empire vanished in a matter of months.

It must have been quite something to live through those times, as an outsider, do you think the ordinary Russian will ever get justice for what has been stolen from them? 

Do they even see it that way?

46 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm no authority on Russia/USSR, I have watched the Death of Stalin several times and each time the reality sank in through comedy.

Now watching again the World at War for the umpteenth time and still find it difficult to understand the Russians, Operation Barbarossa and Stalin Murdering the educated pre 1939 then continued the same through the War...even threatening to murder the heroes of Stalingrad if they took a step back...a vast nation of peoples with different ideologies that if they refuse to toe the party line...death awaits.  

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Wednesday. 

Didn't think it would be my bag at all (not generally into the whole "spooky" vibe) so resisted the huge media hype. Decided to put it on last night and really enjoyed it. Only a couple of episodes in but looking forward to catching the rest.

I loved it.

Actually, I don't think It was in it, but Fester and Thing were.

14 hours ago, Rev said:

So many parts of the story I'd pretty much forgot about, or paid little attention to at the time, like the attack on the parliament building. 

It was fascinating to see the lives of ordinary Russians, and the sheer amount of grind and graft they put in, just to survive day to day.

The leadership, both Gorbachev and Yeltsin, seemed hopelessly naive, and let the worst of the Western capitalists be their shepherds to democracy.

After I'd finished the series, I listened to Adam Curtis on a politics Joe podcast. He makes the point that empires normally collapse very slowly, over decades or more, yet the Soviet empire vanished in a matter of months.

It must have been quite something to live through those times, as an outsider, do you think the ordinary Russian will ever get justice for what has been stolen from them? 

Do they even see it that way?

The travel writer Colin Thubron travelled extensively through Siberia in the early years after the collapse of the Soviet Union. The resulting book "In Siberia" is well worth reading, if it's still in print.