Watchable telly

dog

On 12/11/2020 at 20:32, sage said:

I've been watching a long running series called News. It's almost like a documentary style. The latest season is a bit boring, all about this world wide virus, dragging on a bit now, needs a new storyline. Hopefully that angry orange man won't be in the next series too.

Rumour has it that they've killed off this guy too. Such a shame...

image.thumb.png.7faff06e9f35552639d5a5795b2b6e46.png

On 12/11/2020 at 20:17, Anag Ram said:

I actually have a thing for Portrait Artist of The Year on Sky Arts.

Fascinating to watch the portraits come together in many different media. 

Then the joy of shouting at the telly because I don’t agree with the judges!

Those judges know nothing - arty, farty twits.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Those judges know nothing - arty, farty twits.

It’s a competition to paint portraits and they sit there saying he/she hasn’t quite got the likeness but it’s brilliant.

So basically they can paint whoever the hell they like as long as it has a nice background.

Still love it and Kate Bryan is lovely.

On 09/11/2020 at 16:24, AndyinLiverpool said:

2 things:

Kipo and the age of Wonderbeasts. Watched this with the kids and it's absolutely fabulous.

Queen's Gambit. A brilliant watch, even if you don't play chess.

On 09/11/2020 at 18:20, Mr. P said:

I'm too dumb to understand or enjoy chess, but Queen's Gambit was really good. I enjoyed it. Mini series too so it had my attention for long enough. 

The whole TV world is raving about Queen's Gambit, which is on Netflix for those of you who don't have Kodi. Seven hour-long episodes. I've just started on it.

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The whole TV world is raving about Queen's Gambit, which is on Netflix for those of you who don't have Kodi. Seven hour-long episodes. I've just started on it.

It's worth it - unlke so much streamed TV that either descends into an extruded mess of 173 episodes or just falls away into nothingness after two series when they all realise they can't get out of what they go into. Queen's Gambit is concise, has an ending and isn't in it for another series.

If you like the occasional documentary try 'The Social DIlemma'. Very good review of social media and the impact it is having on our society.

Couple of snackable Netflix ones. Explained takes a number of topics and does them in twenty minutes - from cryptocurrency to monogamy, from why diets fail to China, all in the time it takes to drink a brew.

Next up, Losers. Very good series on people more famous in sport for failing and showing how they got past that, often with great success. Michael Bentt, Jean Van Der Velde, Surya Bonaly - again, all done in short and digestible chunks.

Final one - Mangrove on iPlayer, part of the Small Axe series by Steve McQueen. For anyone who grew up in a multi-cultural community in the 1970s it is a very touching (good and bad) reflection on those times. Long, but also compelling and with some wonderful music thrown in as well. Only hope the rest of the films are as good.

Edited by BaaLocks

Haven’t see Ozark recommended on here, but I don’t have a great attention span. 3 x 10 episode series on Netflix, about a guy sucked into the world of cartel crime. Pretty good I would say, without ever hitting great heights. Some good acting. A fourth (and final) series is in production for those who prefer to watch everything from start to finish.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Haven’t see Ozark recommended on here, but I don’t have a great attention span. 3 x 10 episode series on Netflix, about a guy sucked into the world of cartel crime. Pretty good I would say, without ever hitting great heights. Some good acting. A fourth (and final) series is in production for those who prefer to watch everything from start to finish.

If the final series is as good as the other three it will probably slot into my top 3 shows of all time. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

If the final series is as good as the other three it will probably slot into my top 3 shows of all time. 

I thought it was trying too hard to be the new Breaking Bad, but the characters just weren't likable enough. I quit after 4 episodes because I just didn't care what happened to them.

Horses for courses I guess.

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

For anyone who likes Queens Gambit, I would also recommend Alias Grace and Godless. Both on Netflix. Both limited series of about 6 episodes.

Alias Grace is probably closest in tone and pacing. Godless is a lot more violent, but is from the same producer- director as Queens Gambit so shares some key themes despite the very different settings.

32 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I thought it was trying too hard to be the new Breaking Bad, but the characters just weren't likable enough. I quit after 4 episodes because I just didn't care what happened to them.

Horses for courses I guess.

You quit too early. 

For what it’s worth:

1. The Wire

2. Sopranos

3. Better Call Saul

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

? only mentioned it about five times when it started! 

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

? only mentioned it about five times when it started! 

You must have been on ignore at the time ? Although thinking about it, if you posted 3 years ago about sitting watching TV boxsets I would have thought at that time that I would rather shoot myself. Times change.

* Never had you on ignore. In fact never had anyone on ignore other than I think McLovin (or similar) once for a few days.

The new series of The Crown so far has been excellent... I thought season 1+2 were great but 3 a pile of poop...well the 4th is back on form.....I guess it is helped by having some pretty juicy storylines to go though in the 80's.... lots of Thatcher, Daina (what WAS Charles thinking!?) and the falklands so far...I'm looking forward to seeing clips of myself and @uttoxram75 at some hell hole away game chasing a load of locals out through the back door of a pub.