Wouldn’t be Christmas without it

Day

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every year when me and my wife go into town to start our Christmas shopping. We always started with a visit to Bennetts on Irongate. As Christmas only started for us, after we'd been to see their Christmas tree.

After the shop's demise this year, it will leave a gap in our pre Christmas routine.

56 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Every year when me and my wife go into town to start our Christmas shopping. We always started with a visit to Bennetts on Irongate. As Christmas only started for us, after we'd been to see their Christmas tree.

After the shop's demise this year, it will leave a gap in our pre Christmas routine.

As of last month:

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/10/bennetts-Derby-worlds-oldest-department-store-saved-again-paul-hurst-bridgewood/

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Unfortunately:

"However, Hurst said it may not be possible to keep the store in its current location in Iron Gate, where it has been operating since 1734, due to the significant investment it needs to repair and renovate it.

It’s understood he is planning a new retail proposition for Bennetts, including a new online store, that will retain the brand and its heritage yet adapting it so it can thrive in the modern retail climate."

Nit really the same is it Mr Hurst?

On 07/11/2019 at 08:11, Angry Ram said:

Of course.. Sad that you would think it was anything else. They love Christmas and it's great to see them get involved. I spent Christmas in Dubal a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. Christmas trees and decorations everywhere.

Around here they tried to ban nativity scenes in shop displays and to change the name to "Winterval" so as not to offend others!

The Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus and 'other communities' objected to this saying "I don't know who is offended, it's certainly not us!

Snowflakes only happen when it's snowing!*

*(great song, dreams, and not just seasonal either!)

9 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Around here they tried to ban nativity scenes in shop displays and to change the name to "Winterval" so as not to offend others!

The Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus and 'other communities' objected to this saying "I don't know who is offended, it's certainly not us!

Snowflakes only happen when it's snowing!*

*(great song, dreams, and not just seasonal either!)

This is the issue, people, whatever their back ground are not offended at all. The issue is you have 'some' people who choose to be offended on their behalf, probably drawing salaries in order to do so. I think its probably not as bad as it sometimes seems, but when each story hits the tabloid media it is exaggerated, and this in turn causes resentment among 'some' of the public.

It is these people who try and dilute Christmas, or try and ban the flag at World Cup time etc that cause more damage to relations between different communities, faiths and backgrounds.

Willing to bet if you listen in on conversations of 'some' white, christian british people they will be heard moaning thats its ok for 'them' to have 'their' diwali lights and celebrations but not 'us' to have 'ours'.

Archived