Wouldn’t be Christmas without it

Day

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I was reading at the weekend about the annual royalties from Christmas songs and the ones I can remember:

Slade: £1m

Mariah Carey: £400k

Pogues: £400k

Wham: £300k

East 17: £100k

Wow.

Surprise Roy Wood isn’t in the top 10. That’s played just as much as Slade! 

I think shakin Stevens gets about 20k for his. 

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Indeed. I could happily forgo everything all the other food and just have a big bowl of them, with cheese to follow.

I've got my eyes on some of these foot-long ones that supermarkets are bringing out and I intend to challenge myself to see how many feet of pigs in blankets I can consume in the day.

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Why are pigs in blankete called pigs in blankets? 

Allow me...

The "pig", (i.e. the pork sausage/chipolata) is naked when alone.  Wrapping it in a "blanket" (i.e. the bacon) keeps it toasty warm at this particularly chilly time of year.

Now, if you move the sausages/chipolatas around a lot (in the oven), as indeed you should, to ensure an all-over even cook, you'll notice the "blanket" will come away, sometimes completely so.  Ergo, mimicking the reality of a blanket around a very fidgety person, hence the nickname "pig-in-blanket".

Now for the good bit... I have invented an edible zip, made from the hairs on a pig's tongue.  Ergo, The Mucker clan enjoy a snug and fully wrapped chipolata of a yuletide mealfeast, and we have renamed them "pigs in onesies".  Give it a couple of years, and they'll be all the rage!  Blankets are so last year, darling!

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Allow me...

The "pig", (i.e. the pork sausage/chipolata) is naked when alone.  Wrapping it in a "blanket" (i.e. the bacon) keeps it toasty warm at this particularly chilly time of year.

Now, if you move the sausages/chipolatas around a lot (in the oven), as indeed you should, to ensure an all-over even cook, you'll notice the "blanket" will come away, sometimes completely so.  Ergo, mimicking the reality of a blanket around a very fidgety person, hence the nickname "pig-in-blanket".

Now for the good bit... I have invented an edible zip, made from the hairs on a pig's tongue.  Ergo, The Mucker clan enjoy a snug and fully wrapped chipolata of a yuletide mealfeast, and we have renamed them "pigs in onesies".  Give it a couple of years, and they'll be all the rage!  Blankets are so last year, darling!

Aye, all well and good but surely the blanket should be made from a different substance to that which it covers? Or is bacon so good that if you were a pig you would wrap yourself in the crozzled remains of one of your mates to keep warm?

20 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

If you cook them, in the oven, on a wire tray, the blankets stay in place and they cook evenly.

On 12/12/2018 at 09:56, Wolfie said:

I was reading at the weekend about the annual royalties from Christmas songs and the ones I can remember:

Slade: £1m

Mariah Carey: £400k

Pogues: £400k

Wham: £300k

East 17: £100k

Wow.

No wonder Noddy says he never gets tired of hearing that song!

Not a patch on the Pogues though!?

Archived