Do you think Frank is here for the long run?

JoeDerby

Is Lampard here to stay?  

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

If he left under these circumstances how would that be any different to how Rowett left us?

I said bigger club, I know we've been down in this league for a while but I'll be damned if I ever consider Stoke City to be a bigger club than DCFC! If Lampard went off to someone like Stoke then clearly he'd be no different. Chelsea or even a top half prem team would be a different matter

4 hours ago, Parsnip said:

He'll have 3 successful years here leading us to Europe before leaving for Chelsea with Terry as his assistant, Jody takes the Derby job (doesnt work out, sacked by November). After a decade of Champions League success he and Terry take the England job for two tournaments, winning both.

He'll later claim that his time with Derby was the highlight of his career.

Who do they play in the second final and who do you think scores the winner?

Hes not going to leave us for another championship team ... or a relegation threatened prem team its just not worth it for him.

Franks not in this game for the money.. hes a very wealthy man already.

Hes only leaving us for an opportunity too good to turn down.

Got a sneaky feeling he wont feel happy leaving until hes took us up.

Think I'm going to start to shut out a lot of the 'what if stuff'. I have a sense, that could be wildly off the mark, that we are entering a golden era for the club, certainly by recent standards anyway. It would be awful if it flashed by while many of us were wrapped up dwelling on its potential demise - what happens when the loanees leave, Frank, Jody etc, etc, when will at that come to pass..... Fans outside the top 3 or 4 clubs are almost compelled to 'live in the moment' as unlike for the pampered and entitled few, those 'moments' can be a lifetime apart. Frank will leave but he's here right now so I'm just gonna keep it simple, focus on the positives and enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.  COYR

5 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Think I'm going to start to shut out a lot of the 'what if stuff'. I have a sense, that could be wildly off the mark, that we are entering a golden era for the club, certainly by recent standards anyway. It would be awful if it flashed by while many of us were wrapped up dwelling on its potential demise - what happens when the loanees leave, Frank, Jody etc, etc, when will at that come to pass..... Fans outside the top 3 or 4 clubs are almost compelled to 'live in the moment' as unlike for the pampered and entitled few, those 'moments' can be a lifetime apart. Frank will leave but he's here right now so I'm just gonna keep it simple, focus on the positives and enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.  COYR

Me too?

44 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

I said bigger club, I know we've been down in this league for a while but I'll be damned if I ever consider Stoke City to be a bigger club than DCFC! If Lampard went off to someone like Stoke then clearly he'd be no different. Chelsea or even a top half prem team would be a different matter

Stoke had been in the Premier League for over 10 years I think, a transfer kitty of £50m? I don't think you could argue that they are not currently a bigger club than Derby. I think Rowett probably saw them as more ambitious than Derby and probably thought he had more chance of getting Stoke promoted than Derby. I think only Derby fans would say it wasn't an ambitious move.

I think it's really hard to say how long he'll be here, because for him to get an offer to tempt him away from Derby, he'd have to be relatively successful. I'm 99.999% sure he wouldn't be offered a job he would leave for this season, so if he takes us up then how many jobs would he want to risk for a "step-up". For example if we go up, it's basically only the "top six" that might tempt him away, although I think he'd also fancy West Ham if they were interested.

In terms of his dream job - Chelsea - they're not going to give him the job unless he's very successful here. And by that I mean promotion, top half PL finish, maybe even a cup win. As a top European club, they're always going to go for the best. They spend a lot of money and they want to win trophies, I think Abramovich would go for the most qualified option over nostalgia. If he does end up at Chelsea directly from Derby though, then I'll take that. If he leaves us in a strong Premier League position then jumps ship, I can't imagine too many people labelling him a snake like Rowett has been.

24 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think it's really hard to say how long he'll be here, because for him to get an offer to tempt him away from Derby, he'd have to be relatively successful. I'm 99.999% sure he wouldn't be offered a job he would leave for this season, so if he takes us up then how many jobs would he want to risk for a "step-up". For example if we go up, it's basically only the "top six" that might tempt him away, although I think he'd also fancy West Ham if they were interested.

In terms of his dream job - Chelsea - they're not going to give him the job unless he's very successful here. And by that I mean promotion, top half PL finish, maybe even a cup win. As a top European club, they're always going to go for the best. They spend a lot of money and they want to win trophies, I think Abramovich would go for the most qualified option over nostalgia. If he does end up at Chelsea directly from Derby though, then I'll take that. If he leaves us in a strong Premier League position then jumps ship, I can't imagine too many people labelling him a snake like Rowett has been.

From what I have seen Rowett isn’t fit to lace Lampards boots.

I really think we have got a set up that knows and understands football and how to get the best out of a group of players.

Like what has been said in other threads we should enjoy the good times and not spend our time worrying about something that hasn’t happened.

Frank is a victim of his speedy success, but of course he's thrilled by that success so everyone's happy. What it means is that he has now shown he has the players at his disposal to get Derby promoted. We could have had a worse start and that wouldn't be the case and people wouldn't have minded overmuch, as we knew the mess Rowett left our ageing squad in. It's not simply our decent league position but the manner of our performances that shows Derby are a force to be reckoned with.

If he doesn't get promotion now, I can see Premier League clubs being wary. And there will be a very hefty penalty clause for going after him, when he will be a risk. He's new and I hope Mel would give him a second season in the Championship having learnt from the first.

If we go up this season, then fabulous. What would teams outside the top six offer that would justify a move? There's a huge gulf to that top six, but we can compete up to that level and I expect he'd want to test himself and try to do that within a couple more years (and then move on). So, I'm saying we have him for 2-3 years as opposed to one season. After that it's unlikely unless there is a special bond.

The thing that might upset that applecart is family life. Frank doesn't need the money. If it's putting too much strain on his marriage or there were other family circumstances, then he might decide this isn't for him, or he has to take a job down in London (but I don't think he fits the Watford template and might not want to go to Fulham, which just leaves former clubs West Ham or Chelsea or else Spurs or Arsenal). West Ham in a year is a possibility but there might be too much baggage to consider.

FL will be here for 3 years, by which time we will have been promoted - that's my

belief/hope anyway. He really does need the experience of managing a club, and what

better than the one he's got promoted.

The next stage will be showing he can cement our place in the Prem, with an Owner

who will back him to the hilt, and a "sleeping giant" to awaken, why would he leave, unless

it was for West Ham, and then at a later date Chelsea. If that's successful he'll be getting

offers from all around the Globe. So apart from family issues 3yrs seems about right ?

None of the options.

I don't beleive either is correct as i don't see him leaving if we don't get promoted and what do you mean by here to stay ?

if 2-3 seasons then yes if  a wenger type stay or forever then no

just enjoy it while its there to be enjoyed ?

12 hours ago, 86 points said:

I think I'm with you on this one mate. If only because when I start to think about what happens after he leaves, it's pretty depressing - where do we go from here? Who can we get that would possibly match the attention and the excitement that the Lampard appointment brought us? We're back in Mick McCarthy territory and THAT my friends is not something we should be dwelling on right now

1 hour ago, Ilsonram12 said:

As long as frank learns his trade and is successful with us he will step up and we’ll wish him all the best, if he does a rowett and deserts us after a year then more fool him, doesn’t always work as his mate zola learnt

Frank bizarrely looks like he has learnt his trade more than nearly all our previous managers. ?

6 hours ago, Saity said:

None of the options.

I don't beleive either is correct as i don't see him leaving if we don't get promoted and what do you mean by here to stay ?

if 2-3 seasons then yes if  a wenger type stay or forever then no

just enjoy it while its there to be enjoyed ?

Agree with every word.  (Apart from "beleive", of course!)

Worst poll ever!

Frank will be here as long as he'll be here, or until a top-half prem side come offering gold nuggets, whichever comes first!

Enjoying the ride...  WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......  

He won't want to get a reputation for jumping ship too early, he'll be here for at least this season and next regardless if we go up.

Also I get the suggestion of Chelsea but completely baffled why people are specifically mentioning West Ham... He absolutely hates them and he's West Ham's all time most hated player according to Bris's clickbait newspaper https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/02/04/eight-players-that-are-more-hated-than-dimitri-payet-at-west-ham/ 

I would doubt that Frank will ever see his contract out - who does? Aaron Ramsey is the exception that proves the rule.

Mel will offer him a contract extension, this season if we carry on doing well or go up, which he will take unless he has a firm offer from a club giving him a better opportunity - 'better' will be better for him professionally, better for his family (don't forget he has two daughters that live with their mother as well as a new baby) and better for him financially. And I would bet, in that order.  I don't think there is a better professional move for him in England for another season at least.  The big clubs will see him as too inexperienced and the mid/lower EPL clubs will all come with desperation and baggage especially after a manager sacking. That will only change from his perspective if we haven't gone up by the end of next season.

His employability to big clubs in England and abroad will only rise significantly if we go up and he then does well in the EPL. So, at the moment, his and our ambitions are aligned and will continue to be if we go up and do ok. The sad thing is that they will get out of alignment if we do well (because bigger/wealthier clubs will be tempted) or do badly, because Frank will want to protect his reputation.

If I were Mel I would offer Frank and his team a contract extension of a couple of years by the end of the season and start doing some proper succession planning, probably for around 2020/2021, with earlier options. If he lasts much longer we will have been riding a wave the likes of which we haven't seen before.

Archived