Do you think Frank is here for the long run?

JoeDerby

Is Lampard here to stay?  

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So many variables 

if we just miss out I hope he’ll stay for another shot

if we get promoted I hope he’ll stay and cement our position and his reputation

is he happy ? ( as stiv says, it is hugely Important that work life is right when you are a new Dad - if that isn’t right then he’ll be off regardless because he is prosperous enough not to “need” this job ) 

Yeah .. he’s media savvy and will say the right things but maybe, just maybe he is forming a bond with us .. win something and that’s a cert. 

At this point he’ll do what’s right for him ... that’s what most winners do but if in dream land we go up somehow qualify for Europe .. would he really walk away ? For Chelsea or maybe West Ham .. yes he would, for anyone else .. I doubt it 

Its funny, after a solid and competent Rowett performance sometime about this time last year I remember daring to dream but it was a bit of a fans hope. With Frank and what we saw against Chelsea, Man U, Sheffield and Brum it feels more substantial. 

Anyway .. to answer the OP .. if we go up he’ll stay ......unless Chelsea or West Ham offer him a job. I just can’t see him wanting Man United even though he is exactly what they need. City have their man as do Liverpool, Spurs ? Gunners ? Would he really want to go there ? Anyone else and he’s just as well off with us 

well ! That was a ramble and a half ? thanks for reading 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

My gut feeling is this is what he'd like to do. Imagine him doing a Brian, but going one better and winning the treble, then managing England to a World Cup win with half the squad being Derby players!

Maybe I'm getting carried away. 

I like you 

I don't do hand-wringing - never have done and don't see any reason to start doing so now. I said at the start of the season that I was buying a season ticket this year (I did) and I was going to enjoy the ride (I am doing). Why worry about something I have no means of controlling, and why try to analyse something of a 'will he, won't he?' nature when I am not in possession of any facts?

3 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

I think if he got us up he'd want to keep us up for a season then look to prove he can advance the side beyond that before securing a big move.

Agree with this, Frank’s integrity is unquestionable, as his first club in management he’ll always have a soft spot for us and I’m sure he’ll want to leave us in a better position than he found us. That said he’s destined for great things so once he’s got to us to the promised land & stabilised our position there I’m sure greater opportunities will come callIing and he will wish us all the best & move on. 3 years seems about right. 

I think the way he's signed players and bought youngsters through so far points to him having a longer term view than most recent appointments.

By that I mean Mount for now, Holmes for later, similar with Waghorn and Marriott, and possibly Tamori and Bogle fit this profile too.

Let's just enjoy it, if he leaves us for Chelsea one day he'll have done a hell of a job here first!

I have a slightly different view as to why he might stay a bit.

If we get promoted, I reckon Mel would pretty much give him the all the tv money to spend on transfers/wages. That’s an awful lot of money- but again imagine what he could do with it if he continues on his current trajectory.

He won’t get that sort of money at most clubs to play with. Only the biggest clubs will give him more. Use that money well, and Derby will do well, and his stock will become even higher.

31 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

There seems to be a basic assumption that he'll end up managing Chelsea in a few years. When did they last have a British manager?

Abramovich doesn't do nostalgia, he wants the proven best in the world.

This is the same for all the top 5 or 6 teams. When they hire, they hire managers with experience winning against top European teams... As that is the competition they all value the most. 

Would Chelsea even hire Lampard without Euro experience? If they did it would be an emotional not logical appointment. 

I do think Lampard may need to have a good Europa League run with someone before getting his dream job. 

I hope he has that run with us. Pretty please. 

1 hour ago, SillyBilly said:

Lampard is classier than the Snake. If he does well here a bigger club will invariably come in for him and who are we to stand in his way? He will be massively ambitious.

If he left under these circumstances how would that be any different to how Rowett left us?

4 hours ago, richinspain said:

Can't see him leaving after one season. The second might be a harder choice. Then again, if he hasn't got us promoted after two seasons maybe he isn't the manager we all think he is!

Fair comment. I actually expect we will be promoted this season or next. It's about time as much as anything else. I am fairly certain Frank will leave when Chelsea come knocking, but that will probably be in 2-3 seasons. 

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I don't do hand-wringing - never have done and don't see any reason to start doing so now. I said at the start of the season that I was buying a season ticket this year (I did) and I was going to enjoy the ride (I am doing). Why worry about something I have no means of controlling, and why try to analyse something of a 'will he, won't he?' nature when I am not in possession of any facts?

That’s it guys & gals shut the whole forum down, we can’t have an opinion or a healthy, good natured debate ... Eddie has spoken ???

11 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This is the same for all the top 5 or 6 teams. When they hire, they hire managers with experience winning against top European teams... As that is the competition they all value the most. 

Would Chelsea even hire Lampard without Euro experience? If they did it would be an emotional not logical appointment. 

I do think Lampard may need to have a good Europa League run with someone before getting his dream job. 

I hope he has that run with us. Pretty please. 

I believe the current Chelsea manager has yet to actually win anything.

4 hours ago, StivePesley said:

My gut feeling is that he's well-trained in media and a convincing speaker, so we shouldn't kid ourselves that he has any special affinity for the club. Don't get me wrong, I think he's enjoying it and giving it 100%, and is no doubt grateful for the opportunity we have given him. It's a good fit for now, but the bottom line is that he will do what he thinks is right for Frank Lampard in the end - not the club.

Just out of interest - does anyone know what his living arrangements are? Does he live in the area permanently with his family or is he commuting from Knightsbridge? I'd like to think that if he respected the club and wanted to do his best for us, he'd have moved them all up here for the duration of his stay, but then I know Mrs Lampard is a new mum etc so not necessarily an easy choice

I think you're right in saying he's well trained in media and a convincing speaker but he'd have to have one hell of an acting coach to teach him the spontaneity and emotion he conveys both during the games and in his interviews pre and post match.

He's not trotting out tired old cliches, his answers are so varied from week to week it's impossible they're scripted.

His reaction to goals for, goals against is also natural. No-one gets taught on how to manage emotions during the game or in the on the pitch aftermath.

You've had a couple of managers who saw the club as a stepping stone which I never really understood. You've had a couple of managers who threw out the line of it being their dream job but then buggered off. I never understood that either.

Derby if it's done right has as much potential as most clubs outside of the top 5. 

I could see him staying four or five years until he feels he's taken you as far as he can.

It's notable that no one's really doubting he's got the makings of a top manager. I expect this is the kind of belief that the players are buying into also; virtuous circles. 

We are very fortunate to be in the position we're in, and it seems that most of us appreciate that. I know my earlier post was slightly tongue in cheek, but I really do think the sky's the limit, and I can see Mel wanting to take it as far as he can by backing Frank.

20 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Derby if it's done right has as much potential as most clubs outside of the top 5. 

Especially with the current ownership and infrastructure. I haven't always supported or understood Mel's decisions, but I'm sure he's got it right this time, and will be able to see the potential. 

Archived