V Sheffield United (H) Match Thread

Millenniumram

47 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, I agree to some extent with you, @archied. I am a committed fan, have a season ticket and turn up all weathers, but I do find the whole matchday experience a bit underwhelming.

There's no variety at Pride Park, and a minimal attempt to entertain other than the football itself.  I go down last-minute, watch the football and come away. The pre-match offer is nil and the half time entertainment has all but disappeared. What there is , is so repetitive. And because I am attending the game, I miss a lot of the Rams TV offer, which is a lot more rounded. I can understand why some fans stay at home and watch that instead.

Have a beer?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've made giant strides by changing managers this season. Once FL gets us up and running I'd hope that attendances will rise. As for offering more pre-match entertainment, I'm not sure what the answer is or if that is even the solution to the problem. Getting it right on the pitch has to be the primary objective for me. Everything else should fall into place if we can do it that. Easier said than done though.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

We've made giant strides by changing managers this season. Once FL gets us up and running I'd hope that attendances will rise. As for offering more pre-match entertainment, I'm not sure what the answer is or if that is even the solution to the problem. Getting it right on the pitch has to be the primary objective for me. Everything else should fall into place if we can do it that. Easier said than done though.

Agree - if we're playing to win and displaying attractive football I don't give a fig about the rest! 

But I do enjoy away matches more - a bit of variety, catch up with friends, make some noise and more interaction with the players. I just find the Pride Park experience a bit bland, sorry.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Agree - if we're playing to win and displaying attractive football I don't give a fig about the rest! 

But I do enjoy away matches more - a bit of variety, catch up with friends, make some noise and more interaction with the players. I just find the Pride Park experience a bit bland, sorry.

I know I might get shot for suggesting it but I think the bar should close 30 minutes before the game.

We need bums on seats earlier to build an atmosphere, rather than having fans take their seats at kick off, already busting for their first pee.

5 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

I'd like to see us match their formation in this one. Go three at the back... Man for man I think we have more skill and we will beat them. 

We should play to our strengths and let them worry about our quality rather than switching formation to a back 3. If we play with a 3 at the back we will either have one less midfielder or one less attacking option, and playing in a back 3 is hard to adjust to. With the players we have got and our style of play I would say it wouldn't work becuase what is the point of going down the wing and crossing with the wing backs a lot when we don't have someone aerially dominant to win the headers. 

7 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

We should play to our strengths and let them worry about our quality rather than switching formation to a back 3. If we play with a 3 at the back we will either have one less midfielder or one less attacking option, and playing in a back 3 is hard to adjust to. With the players we have got and our style of play I would say it wouldn't work becuase what is the point of going down the wing and crossing with the wing backs a lot when we don't have someone aerially dominant to win the headers. 

Mmmm. You don't have to play that way. It strikes me that Wahhorn and Marriot are not so dissimilar to Gabbiadini and Sturridge. The focal point that year was Willems playing neat through balls... Not so dissimilar to Mount. 

But I take your point about it being a risk. 

15 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Slightly related... the new football (soccer!) stadium that opened in Atlanta last year has video screens in the round.  Also fully covered... so air conditioned in their heat.

ATLUTD_MontrealImpact_KH_09242017-194%20

The roof opens for rain and natural light too.

USATSI_10869803.jpg

For a country that doesn't do football... it puts our stadia to shame.

The stadium cost $1.6 BILLION to build according to wiki.

It’s also the home ground for Atlanta Falcons, wasn’t just built for football football and cost $1.6bn to build

4 minutes ago, David said:

It’s also the home ground for Atlanta Falcons, wasn’t just built for football football and cost $1.6bn to build

Your point being.....?

We just get Derby's American football team to stump up say £1billion.... we find  £600m down the back of Mel's couch... sales of pies, beer and Mount shirts should cover paying him back.

Sorted. So much negativity for a Friday...!! 

13 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I know I might get shot for suggesting it but I think the bar should close 30 minutes before the game.

We need bums on seats earlier to build an atmosphere, rather than having fans take their seats at kick off, already busting for their first pee.

In which case people would stay in the pubs later ,there would be nobody in the ground and big queues outside.

Most of my time before the match is spent at either The Alex, The Furnace, The Brunswick or a Sawley pub before grabbing the train in. I get to games within 5-10 mins before kick off. I'll be doing the same tomorrow (thank god the break is now over).

I'm just old enough to vaguely remember the BBG. We're never going to re-create the match-build up there used to be in the streets and on the terraces at Pride Park. 

For me, there's nothing wrong with having a few pints at the pub with your fans before the game and then walking to the ground just in time for kick off. As long as we're all singing and creating the atmosphere throughout the game, what's the issue? We were with Barnsley fans at The Alex at the end of last season and the build up with them there was great, we even walked down to the ground together. 

39 minutes ago, sawley_ram said:

Most of my time before the match is spent at either The Alex, The Furnace, The Brunswick or a Sawley pub before grabbing the train in. I get to games within 5-10 mins before kick off. I'll be doing the same tomorrow (thank god the break is now over).

I'm just old enough to vaguely remember the BBG. We're never going to re-create the match-build up there used to be in the streets and on the terraces at Pride Park. 

For me, there's nothing wrong with having a few pints at the pub with your fans before the game and then walking to the ground just in time for kick off. As long as we're all singing and creating the atmosphere throughout the game, what's the issue? We were with Barnsley fans at The Alex at the end of last season and the build up with them there was great, we even walked down to the ground together. 

Agree. Usually get to the Brunswick for 12 ish to ensure I get a seat. Few beers and a nice big cheese roll and then leave for the ground about 2.20 and in my seat for 2.45 to enjoy the atmosphere and cheer the team as they come out....perfick.....

3 hours ago, King Kevin said:

In which case people would stay in the pubs later ,there would be nobody in the ground and big queues outside.

So what your saying is that there’s a big chunk of people who aren’t there for the football but just an excuse / escape from wive to drink ? Mind you my old man did the same for 50 odd years , when my mum passed he stopped going ,I thought he had lost a bit of heart then realised he didn’t need to go anymore as he could get as pissed as he liked when he liked 

On 17/10/2018 at 19:03, Parsnip said:

I love the look of that but I'd really worry about it being exposed on the flanks. I'd adapt it slightly to:

Carson

Bogle      Keogh      Malone

Davies

Huddlestone

Johnson

Mount

Waghorn

Wilson

Marriott

This has a very stable ballistic missile formation look to it .. useful to have all the players in a queue ready to shoot if called upon. 

5 hours ago, King Kevin said:

You could well be right but fans are already missing out on nice local beers in favour of the fizzy stuff.

Also, leaving entry til the last minute risks missing the start of the game.

I still think a local band should be given 15 minutes as part of the pre-match entertainment.

Anything to make  the afternoon less of a beer fest. There's plenty of time later for that.

We know from some of the views on here that vision is distorted. It becomes a case of the white blur beating the other colour (hurray, we are ace) or losing (boo, sack everyone).

Archived