V Sheffield United (H) Match Thread

Millenniumram

1 minute ago, Derbyram1 said:

After your weak link comment it seemed TL was the key to us surging forward for every counter attack.

Fingers crossed he starts on Wednesday, looked a handful running at the Sheff Utd defenders.

Comment was made during the first ten mins of him coming on ,not 28 Hours after the event, and at the time was  a valid and accurate assesment?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ram1964 said:

Comment was made during the first ten mins of him coming on ,not 28 Hours after the event, and at the time was  a valid and accurate assesment?

Appreciate that, just a bit of a harsh criticism after only a few minutes of him coming on.

The same could easily be said for Waghorn or Josefzoon.

5 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Appreciate that, just a bit of a harsh criticism after only a few minutes of him coming on.

The same could easily be said for Waghorn or Josefzoon.

Didn't think Waghorn did a lot wrong in fairness,surprised Lawrence came on for Bryson though.

11 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Didn't think Waghorn did a lot wrong in fairness,surprised Lawrence came on for Bryson though.

I was surprised with TL coming on but turned out to be a master stroke from Frank.

Thought Waghorn looked lost, he’s clearly not a winger and didn’t track back at all. Not his fault, just not his natural position.

Yesterday highlighted to me the importance of a genuine defensive midfielder in the team - thought Huddlestone was integral to how well we played. Sheff Utd thrive on the high press & therefore comfort on the ball & technique was going to be tested - two things big Tom has no issue with. Credit to Lampard for not keeping Johnson in for this one - he'd have been over-run.

Also thought we looked much more of a threat going forward than recent matches - Marriott's work rate was excellent & offered more than Nugent has in recent games. Noticed Mount was able to play slightly further forward with the insurance of Huddlestone behind him, which is where the lad is going to cause real damage. 

Great also to see Forsyth getting back to his best - a real asset to this team when in good nick & with Bogle on the other flank, gives us menace out wide.

On 17/10/2018 at 19:03, Parsnip said:

I love the look of that but I'd really worry about it being exposed on the flanks. I'd adapt it slightly to:

Carson

Bogle      Keogh      Malone

Davies

Huddlestone

Johnson

Mount

Waghorn

Wilson

Marriott

I really just want to see a team line up in a straight line, forming a human tunnel, with the striker pivoting and scoring 

6 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Would love to see Waghorn and Marriott playing up front together in a proper two...perhaps with someone sitting off them.....Mount or Lawrence..

Hard to see it with the way Frank likes to line us up....but Waghorn is better  playing central and Marriott could play off him brilliantly....

12 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I think derby played well yesterday and desevse the win.

I think we had fight and dig in at times they had a odd chance but apart from that goal they never looking scoring.

Watching the game in full again today I was surprised as Utd didn’t seem to be ‘all over us’ in the first half as much as some of the Sky lot and others spoke of..

We were really good the first 10 mins and the last 5-10. In between Utd were, overall, the better team and certainly had more possession but it wasn’t THAT  one-sided. They also didn’t create that much.

There was a pass by Mount in the second half that was ridiculous. He didn't even see Waghorn(?) and he looked left and played it through on the right flank with the outside of his foot to perfect weight. I love that Mount sees the picture pretty quickly and isn't afraid of executing difficult passes as well. Now all we need to do is get him into dangerous positions a little further up the field. I think his defensive contributions are holding back his offensive play a little bit but he's great at both sides of the game so can't complain too much.

A final comment on this game from me, is that the officials did pretty well, led by Oliver Langford. There were decisions that outraged me, as there always are, but the real game changer was to allow the winning goal. 

As soon as Jack flicked it in, I expected to see the flag go up, not because I thought he was offside but because those decisions often go against us. And it's tough to get them right. The replays showed just how close it was, and what a difficult call. Huge kudos to the lino for calling it exactly. 

Probably not much that hasn’t been already been said. All I’d say is Huddlestone is another example of a player coming into the team and stepping up to the plate.

Tomori’s done it, Bogle’s done it, Johnson’s done it, Fozzy’s done it, Wilson’s done it, Marriott’s done it and now Huddlestone’s done it.

Great sign that it seems everyone squad is desperate to get on the pitch and make an impact; no one seems unconfident or rusty after time out of the team. Competition for places seems to be improving everyone instead of disrupting the team. 

Cant help think Lampard has a knack for man management.

34 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

A final comment on this game from me, is that the officials did pretty well, led by Oliver Langford. There were decisions that outraged me, as there always are, but the real game changer was to allow the winning goal. 

As soon as Jack flicked it in, I expected to see the flag go up, not because I thought he was offside but because those decisions often go against us. And it's tough to get them right. The replays showed just how close it was, and what a difficult call. Huge kudos to the lino for calling it exactly. 

I agree and it's great to see a referee who doesn't feel the need to wave cards around after every foul.

Only really got one wrong for me; that was the great tackle from Waghorn - came in from the side and got to the ball first - yet because it downed their man after he'd played the ball it was called a foul. Never in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree and it's great to see a referee who doesn't feel the need to wave cards around after every foul.

Only really got one wrong for me; that was the great tackle from Waghorn - came in from the side and got to the ball first - yet because it downed their man after he'd played the ball it was called a foul. Never in my opinion. 

You're right Waggy was one he got wrong. At least not a game changer, but a very poor decision.

More contentious, I'd argue Fozzy was simply shoulder-to-shoulder on the edge of the box, and had the greater strength, but for some reason refs do seem to interpret those as fouls more often than not if a player goes down. It was a dangerous position and a brilliant routine (I hope we'll try it), but happily a terrible ball in at the end. 

Crazily we're at the bad end of the fair play league when I think we're not remotely physical or dirty, so it was good not to see a lot of cards being waved for once. 

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

You're right Waggy was one he got wrong. At least not a game changer, but a very poor decision.

More contentious, I'd argue Fozzy was simply shoulder-to-shoulder on the edge of the box, and had the greater strength, but for some reason refs do seem to interpret those as fouls more often than not if a player goes down. It was a dangerous position and a brilliant routine (I hope we'll try it), but happily a terrible ball in at the end. 

Crazily we're at the bad end of the fair play league when I think we're not remotely physical or dirty, so it was good not to see a lot of cards being waved for once. 

It was that stupid Peter Banks responsible for a fair proportion of the yellows and a red! 

He was the one out of control rather than our players.

49 minutes ago, angieram said:

Technically the referee was right. Regardless of whether you kick the the ball first or not, if the referee deems you to be using excessive force in your challenge it's a foul. This is particularly risky when tackling from the side or behind because inevitably you're going to whack the player.

So getting to the ball first is something of a moot point when you connect with the player as well.

47 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It’s probably down to style of play. We want to press high and aggressively which means a lot of our tackles are going to be when we’re running at pace and so look bad. 

We’re fifth in terms of winning the ball back per game despite having the third highest average possession!

Twelve teams in the division actually make more fouls than us per game. 

On 20/10/2018 at 18:27, Bris Vegas said:

Wouldn't have happened if Bryson was on. Wilson just let their man breeze into the box. He should have been the one to put a tackle in, but then again I'm not sure why he has moved into central midfield. He's a winger, clearly.

Clearly !

Archived