V Sheffield United (H) Match Thread

Millenniumram

Saturday 20th October, 5:30 KO

Right ladies and gents, not exactly the start to my match threads I was hoping for but we somehow stumble into the international break. Tough run of fixtures to come starting at a team currently top?! Plenty to talk about team news wise here etc folks, will Davies return? Will we find some creativity within our army of players? Will anyone get on the end of a cross?

One thing we do know is I’m planned to return to pride park from my hiding in dirty leeds for this one... perhaps that will bring a change in fortunes! Everyone knows my return will have a greater impact than any player could?

Time to get some form back derby!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got mates visiting that weekend so will be watching in the pub... could really do with three points and a battling performance against a team that will come at us, hopefully it plays into our hands. Let's make a statement, COYR!

On the flip side my team would be 

Carson

Bogle.      Keogh           Davies.      Malone. 

Johnson 

Bryson.             Mount 

Wilson.          Marriott.          Waghorn 

I'm going with my new 442 line up. 

.                          Carson

bogle.          Keogh.    Tomori.    Malone

Jozefzoon.   Bryson.   Mount.   Wilson

.            Waghorn.        Marriott

subs roos  wisdom   Forsyth   Johnno  lawrence  bennett  holmes

Having watched the first half v qpr i think we struggled to retain possession in their half, and the addition of waghorn might help.

also sheffield united play 3 at the back. We know one lone striker struggles against three defenders so there is no point persisting with 4231 v 343. Perfect opportunity to try summat else. 

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'm going with my new 442 line up. 

.                          Carson

bogle.          Keogh.    Tomori.    Malone

Jozefzoon.   Bryson.   Mount.   Wilson

.            Waghorn.        Marriott

subs roos  wisdom   Forsyth   Johnno  lawrence  bennett  holmes

Having watched the first half v qpr i think we struggled to retain possession in their half, and the addition of waghorn might help.

also sheffield united play 3 at the back. We know one lone striker struggles against three defenders so there is no point persisting with 4231 v 343. Perfect opportunity to try summat else. 

Who's going to tackle their midfield players?

Certainly not those four..

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Who's going to tackle their midfield players?

Certainly not those four..

Interesting point because i just watched qpr run through us time again without too much resistance. Two holding midfielders have the easiest job on the pitch and we're falling back into the old trap of these two facing the wrong way and passing backwards.

Also we know that the three attacking midfielders can also get a bit remote from the two holding players, which allows the opposition plenty of scope to take over the midfield. I'd rather see a trad midfield whereby all those players are required to track back. I heard Ramage and co telling me that mason mount isn't afraid to mix it. Ok let see it. If we end up needing a bit more muscle then johnno on for bryson.

But the big win, is the attacking partnership. 3 v 2 at the back, and the ability to exploit space behind the wing backs whilst still having a fox in box. We need to score more goals.

Difficult questions:

Fozzy vs Malone (two teams both going with Malone see above) My verdict play Malone at home then  Fozzy away ?

Curtis vs Tomori. Got to keep those clean sheets. Curtis and Keogh vs Sheffield United. Then play Curtis and Tomori away from home (game one) Keogh and Tomori (game two). Each CB gets two games of the next 3? 

Jayden vs Andre. 3/3 for Jayden. Rest him for the Chelsea game ?

Holding mid (jonno replaced by Huddz at 60 mins). Other mids Bryson and Mountie. Let's keep the same midfield combination for all 3 ? Replacement midfielder can change if Huddz does well and gets promoted to starting 11.

Front 3 

Marriot Wilson and Lawrence vs Sheffield United.

At 60 mins bring on one of Waghorn/Bennet/FloJo (aka impact subs if needed).

Away from home start Waghorn as he gives more control in final third. Does Nuge get a start ? Yes midweek away match depending on Jacks form vs Sheffield United.

Easy question :

Goalie !

If Mount gets injured on international duty start Huddz Bryson and Jonno. 

6 hours ago, Err ram io said:

Difficult questions:

Fozzy vs Malone (two teams both going with Malone see above) My verdict play Malone at home then  Fozzy away ?

Curtis vs Tomori. Got to keep those clean sheets. Curtis and Keogh vs Sheffield United. Then play Curtis and Tomori away from home (game one) Keogh and Tomori (game two). Each CB gets two games of the next 3? 

Jayden vs Andre. 3/3 for Jayden. Rest him for the Chelsea game ?

Holding mid (jonno replaced by Huddz at 60 mins). Other mids Bryson and Mountie. Let's keep the same midfield combination for all 3 ? Replacement midfielder can change if Huddz does well and gets promoted to starting 11.

Front 3 

Marriot Wilson and Lawrence vs Sheffield United.

At 60 mins bring on one of Waghorn/Bennet/FloJo (aka impact subs if needed).

Away from home start Waghorn as he gives more control in final third. Does Nuge get a start ? Yes midweek away match depending on Jacks form vs Sheffield United.

Easy question :

Goalie !

If Mount gets injured on international duty start Huddz Bryson and Jonno. 

Football (Championship) Manager player by any chance?

My fear is that if Mount does get injured were in the poo - Huddlestone, Johnson and Bryson are nowhere near the level he is at and none of them will create as much for us as he will. We need a win - Big 3 points. Hopefully we start fast and get a goal in first 10mins.

The team needs tweeking but in a good way, no one would expect Davies to be on the bench this season.

Carson

Bogle         Keogh             Davies        Malone

Johnson

Bryson                      Mount

Wilson                  Marriott                 Waghorn

Im hopeful that this team would be more solid in defence and more of a threat going forward. I also think we need a plan B - Lets say the game against Sheff U wasn't going well and after 50 mins we hadn't created much this is what we could do.....

Carson

Bogle             Davies           Keogh          Malone

Huddlestone

Wilson                                                     Lawrence

Mount

Marriott                    Waghorn

If we switched to a wide diamond or even a narrow diamond with johno and Brys on the pitch and Wilson being replaced by Huddlestone I think this would offer us different options and more of a threat in certain games.........

24 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

I also think we need a plan B - Lets say the game against Sheff U wasn't going well and after 50 mins we hadn't created much this is what we could do.....

Carson

Bogle             Davies           Keogh          Malone

Huddlestone

Wilson                                                     Lawrence

Mount

Marriott                    Waghorn

If we switched to a wide diamond or even a narrow diamond with johno and Brys on the pitch and Wilson being replaced by Huddlestone I think this would offer us different options and more of a threat in certain games.........

Why have so many failed to see our "plan B" in recent weeks?

Johnson (Hudd would be an option) holding with Bryson and Mount either side.

Lawrence (or Wilson as seen against Southampton) at the tip of the diamond / behind the two centre forwards of Waghorn and Marriot.

Your version of a "wide diamond" would result in us being over run in midfield. I haven't got a clue who you imagine being in the midfield of your "narrow diamond".

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why have so many failed to see our "plan B" in recent weeks?

Johnson (Hudd would be an option) holding with Bryson and Mount either side.

Lawrence (or Wilson as seen against Southampton) at the tip of the diamond / behind the two centre forwards of Waghorn and Marriot.

Your version of a "wide diamond" would result in us being over run in midfield. I haven't got a clue who you imagine being in the midfield of your "narrow diamond".

Narrow?

Huddlestone (CDM)

Bryson (CM)                                  Johnson (CM)

Mount (CAM)

I would go with 352

I would have homles coming in for zoon on the wing. I have bradley johnson behind midfield in front of him I mount bryson and lawance 

Marriot and nurgent leading the attack hopeful having these two upfront goals soon come again. 

And leave waghorn later when nurgent start to tired out.

Archived