V Sheffield United (H) Match Thread

Millenniumram

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Made to easy for people not brothering attending games.

Easy tiger , your life situation suits you being able to priorities going to live matches and in fact is probably one of if not the most enjoyable thing you do ,, that’s not the same for everyone for many and varied reasons , the way we watch our football teams is changing and there are pros and cons , limiting access to only those who can and or want to attend live is not the answer ,,, for instance clubs like derby ,Leeds ,  getting a bigger slice of the tv  money for their games may allow the pricing of tickets to be dropped drastically, we are in a transition period for the game below prem level and the above comment is way off the mark

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Easy tiger , your life situation suits you being able to priorities going to live matches and in fact is probably one of if not the most enjoyable thing you do ,, that’s not the same for everyone for many and varied reasons , the way we watch our football teams is changing and there are pros and cons , limiting access to only those who can and or want to attend live is not the answer ,,, for instance clubs like derby ,Leeds ,  getting a bigger slice of the tv  money for their games may allow the pricing of tickets to be dropped drastically, we are in a transition period for the game below prem level and the above comment is way off the mark

It's a very delicate balance though. If more and more people take the easy option of sitting at home, will it be as entertaining watching Derby playing in front of 5,000 crowds with no atmosphere?

Yes, there are many people who for various reasons cannot go to games but tv is allowing many more to choose not to go to games. 

Are we about to open Pandora's box?

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I do think hurting atterdance at games last season midweek we get around 26 to 27k and at weekends 31k 

Lucky to get 28 k so massive drop in the stadium.

27k for last seasons opener vs Wolves, followed by 24k, 25k, 27k, 31k vs Forest, 27k vs Wednesday.

QPR and Ipswich midweek were 23k and 24k. 

Seems it's pretty much the same this year, 27k for the opener vs Leeds, followed by; 24k, 25k, 23k, 25k and 24k (midweek). 

I think Saturdays will probably be the best of the season, what's the fuss about?!

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

It's a very delicate balance though. If more and more people take the easy option of sitting at home, will it be as entertaining watching Derby playing in front of 5,000 crowds with no atmosphere?

Yes, there are many people who for various reasons cannot go to games but tv is allowing many more to choose not to go to games. 

Are we about to open Pandora's box?

What I’m saying is It’s already open , the whole world/ society has changed since the days of football being the opium of the working class masses in fact there are no working class masses anymore ,to believe that if there was no tv /internet football then crowds would be flocking to fill grounds is an over simplification and an assumption that could be well well wide of the mark , it may well be the opposite ? Who’s to say that the tv and internet have not kept the game alive ? Have not kept the interest of fans that were drifting away and fostered the interest from new young fans and fans from less traditional areas of society ? Let’s face it football was played in stadiums that were urine soaked stinking stinking violence filled death trap dumps ? Was football dying on its feet or very close to starting to plummet to its death ?

im of an age where I can look back with rose tinted glasses nostalgically at those days , they were a massive part of my childhood and growing up process but let’s not kid ourselves that that could not go on or would be acceptable in this day and age just like many many areas of life ,behaviours and attitudes must change and adapt or die ,Christ the drifters sang about taking a young girl to the movies on Saturday because she was not allowed out during the week ,, 

i agree football really needs to find a way / balance of getting live attendees to keep the game exciting as a spectacle but stopping people from seeing/following it on tv and internet is not the answer in my humble view

What can football clubs give/ provide fans with who attend live that those who watch on tv don’t get ? That’s the question clubs need to ask themselves and solve , what can they give/ do to get bums on seats in grounds as well as watching on tv or internet ? It’s not just about price point ,

ideas please , 

How about and under 23 / reserve league that runs alongside with all the young talent on show played between the two clubs before the match 20 mins each way at every game ? 

The above is just a stab in the dark but I really believe we need to turn thinking on it’s head and rather than negative start asking what we can do to make the positive,, let’s face it sky tv have built they’re product , they don’t just give you 90 mins of football they build so much more into it , clubs need to start looking at why they have turned our prem into multi millions buissness

6 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I'd like to see us match their formation in this one. Go three at the back... Man for man I think we have more skill and we will beat them. 

I go along with that ,I just don’t see how you drop Tomori or rich and Curtis is a waste on the bench , couple that with the talent we have and I think it’s the way forward

12 minutes ago, Archied said:

What can football clubs give/ provide fans with who attend live that those who watch on tv don’t get ? That’s the question clubs need to ask themselves and solve , what can they give/ do to get bums on seats in grounds as well as watching on tv or internet ? It’s not just about price point ,

ideas please , 

This is a very good point... But I will counter your comments with this... Go look at the attendances for the Jim Smith promotion season. 

Throughout Sep Oct Nov we were getting attendances around 11,000 or 12,000. If I remember correctly, we got a record low attendance in the League Cup of around 8,000.

Even after Christmas, we couldnt sell out the Baseball Grounds 17.5k capacity. 

Things have been much worse before, and nothing to do with TV. 

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

How about and under 23 / reserve league that runs alongside with all the young talent on show played between the two clubs before the match 20 mins each way at every game ? 

The above is just a stab in the dark but I really believe we need to turn thinking on it’s head and rather than negative start asking what we can do to make the positive,, let’s face it sky tv have built they’re product , they don’t just give you 90 mins of football they build so much more into it , clubs need to start looking at why they have turned our prem into multi millions buissness

I think the club are trying to think lite that with the new extension behind the East Stand. To try and mke it a destination where you want to take your time and spend the whole day. 

17 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This is a very good point... But I will counter your comments with this... Go look at the attendances for the Jim Smith promotion season. 

Throughout Sep Oct Nov we were getting attendances around 11,000 or 12,000. If I remember correctly, we got a record low attendance in the League Cup of around 8,000.

Even after Christmas, we couldnt sell out the Baseball Grounds 17.5k capacity. 

Things have been much worse before, and nothing to do with TV. 

We are in agreement , my whole point is that it not about tv?

Yes, I agree to some extent with you, @archied. I am a committed fan, have a season ticket and turn up all weathers, but I do find the whole matchday experience a bit underwhelming.

There's no variety at Pride Park, and a minimal attempt to entertain other than the football itself.  I go down last-minute, watch the football and come away. The pre-match offer is nil and the half time entertainment has all but disappeared. What there is , is so repetitive. And because I am attending the game, I miss a lot of the Rams TV offer, which is a lot more rounded. I can understand why some fans stay at home and watch that instead.

38 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, I agree to some extent with you, @archied. I am a committed fan, have a season ticket and turn up all weathers, but I do find the whole matchday experience a bit underwhelming.

There's no variety at Pride Park, and a minimal attempt to entertain other than the football itself.  I go down last-minute, watch the football and come away. The pre-match offer is nil and the half time entertainment has all but disappeared. What there is , is so repetitive. And because I am attending the game, I miss a lot of the Rams TV offer, which is a lot more rounded. I can understand why some fans stay at home and watch that instead.

Slightly related... the new football (soccer!) stadium that opened in Atlanta last year has video screens in the round.  Also fully covered... so air conditioned in their heat.

ATLUTD_MontrealImpact_KH_09242017-194%20

The roof opens for rain and natural light too.

USATSI_10869803.jpg

For a country that doesn't do football... it puts our stadia to shame.

The stadium cost $1.6 BILLION to build according to wiki.

Archived