V Sheffield United (H) Match Thread

Millenniumram

Just got back from a long drive home ?

Thought we were not poor but not great in the first half. Second half we really took the game by the scruff of the neck and deserved the win.

Same again on Wednesday please. I'll be going to West Brom too as it's not far from me ???

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We played better against Blackburn and even Norwich and didn’t win yet despite not being at our best today we beat top of the league. Major positive! 

In terms of standout performances. Keogh without question was my MoM. Lawrence was excellent. I was calling for Nuge to come on for Marriott but no way would Nuge have scored that goal.  He has to continue starting. I think he is Sam Winnall with pace! 

The back 4 stepping up helped Huddlestone. He was dictating in their half in the second half, he makes up for him a lack of legs by his positional sense and his sixth sense for danger that he manages to snuff out.

Fozzy has a poor game overall, Bogle struggled as had no protection from Waghorn who looked like a square peg in a round hole all game. Wilson didn’t have a great game but his energy keeps him involved. Mount not at his best but still at the centre of most of our good play. 

Main positive is we deserved to win yet we can play a lot better!

A great performance second half, we played on the front foot  and that's how we should try and play away from home as we would beat most teams in this league if we play with that intensity and quality of interchange in attack. Huddlestone was my motm even though Keogh, Tomori and Marriot were all contenders, I think his composure and quality on  the ball  made the difference today and I would like to see him start most games. The next 2 games are a real opportunity for us to put  a marker down in this league and hopefully show our promotion credentials. Our wingers were wasteful at times when they had an opportunity to play marriot through ,we have to be that bit more clinical if we are going to win our next 2 . I would be very happy with 4 points from the next 2 though, even 2 points wouldn't be too bad , but I think West Brom will be a winnable match.

Karen was busy telling me about her Mum who isn't very well but I didn’t hear the full story  because the ball went in the net before she could finish dare say I’ll find out next week. 

what a cracking result. Blades played really sharp football in the first half - apart from the goal they ran the show, we looked half a yard off the pace as they ran the midfield always having an extra man, luckily no cutting edge and if anything we produced more clear cut chances .. a weird half. 

Much better second half, we woke up and started challenging more and from 60 mins you could see that Sheffield had run out of puff. Great cross from Fozzie and real killer finish from Jack the lad.

Keogh .. peerless .. top performance

Tomori .. jeeps his pace, recovery and sheer doggedness is excellent. Intelligent, loved the way he turned a corner in to a goal kick by keeping his composure under pressure. 

Bogle .. their number 3 scared him early on and seemed to have his number but the boy is so skilled and it showed as the game progressed and he got in to his stride

Fozzie .. game of 2 halves - great cross. 

Hudds .. seems to amble around but some great touches, oddly I think he and Bryson aren’t quite on the same wavelength yet ? That isn’t to criticise either of them 

Bryson .. hope he’s ok .. nice finish Bryso

Lawrence .. added some nice touches and some energy. Wasn’t selfish .. just shot on sight, no probs with that. But for a touch of luck he could have made or scored one at least

Harry .. great talent in there but had 2 breaks where he could have scored or set someone up and fluffed it. Looked happier when closer to Mount

Mount .. frightens the pants off opponents. Pleasure to see him in our shirt

Waghorn .. almost had a worldy  with the bender on the turn and is clearly a good player but looked uncomfortably out of position 

Marriot .. hungry dynamo .. peach of a finish 

Flo Jo .. too far away for me to see much as his presence was mostly in the opposite corner 

Great to see Curtiss back on the pitch.

Well played lads .. you deservedly beat the top of the league team who play skilled football ... Nuff said 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

My ratings FWIW

Carson 6- Sound bar the odd kick and one heart attack moment

Bogle 5- Torn to shreds first half, more composed second but needs to improve some of his passing and decisions

Keogh 9 (MOM)- Not seen anyone else give it to Keogh but he was imperious today, read everything second half

Tomori 7- Marshalled and distributed well

Forsyth 6- Was ducking dire bar two pieces of absolute genius, jeckll and Hyde 

Huddlestone 8- Decent first half, absolutely ran the show second. So harsh on Johnson but you could see a fully fit tom returning in that second half

Bryson 7- Great finish, shame he went off

Mount 8- Unbelieveable technical quality as usual

Wilson 7- Some nice skills but needs to make better decisions in the final third 

Marriott 8- Fantastic finish and clever movement all game

Waghorn 6- Wasn’t really involved enough, looked out of position 

Subs:

Lawrence 5- Didn’t track back particulary well, Tho had some moments going forward

Josefzoon and Davies- no real time

Wtf Lawrence 5? What’s he got to do to get a 6 or 7 play like Messi?

7 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We played better against Blackburn and even Norwich and didn’t win yet despite not being at our best today we beat top of the league. Major positive! 

In terms of standout performances. Keogh without question was my MoM. Lawrence was excellent. I was calling for Nuge to come on for Marriott but no way would Nuge have scored that goal.  He has to continue starting. I think he is Sam Winnall with pace! 

The back 4 stepping up helped Huddlestone. He was dictating in their half in the second half, he makes up for him a lack of legs by his positional sense and his sixth sense for danger that he manages to snuff out.

Fozzy has a poor game overall, Bogle struggled as had no protection from Waghorn who looked like a square peg in a round hole all game. Wilson didn’t have a great game but his energy keeps him involved. Mount not at his best but still at the centre of most of our good play. 

Main positive is we deserved to win yet we can play a lot better!

Keogh was brill. Absolutely. 

Marriot did the biz. His objective is goals. His record is great.

Lawrence was ‘excellent’? 

Foz was poor overall? Besides setting up the winner I suppose?

Apologies if it’s been said, not read the thread

weird game to me, scoring early it seemed we didn’t know what to do (first half) press or sit back and counter. Sitting back and counter is stressful to watch but really we should of gone in at least 2-0 if Wilson had done the right thing twice!!

weird also as they came out sitting back etc.. etc it’s like we didn’t know what to do either after the goal and they didn’t know what to do second half .

Anyways Marriott is looking like the striker we’ve been after and for me keogh was MOTM. I thought he was MR Reliable as usual 

5 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Keogh was brill. Absolutely. 

Marriot did the biz. His objective is goals. His record is great.

Lawrence was ‘excellent’? 

Foz was poor overall? Besides setting up the winner I suppose?

Forsyth was absolutely dire in the first half and it wasn't just my opinion either, but to be fair to him he did well second half and played in a great cross for the goal. However overall, I would still like to see  Malone start on Wednesday , as his first touch when under pressure is often dire and he always gets beat very easily by fast wingers like matt Philips and he positions himself very narrowly forcing the winger to do most of the work.  

48 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

We have a couple of observations from today.

Firstly,in what sort of insane world does Craig Bryson get injured to be replaced by Tom Lawrence...madness!

And then some insane lineup with a front 5 of Wilson,Lawrence,Mount,Waghorn And Marriott run rings round the previously dominant blades...mental!

All orchestrated by Huddlestone who 3 weeks ago had forgotten how to play football...mad!

And the crowd who at half time had tumbleweed blowing across the pitch proceeded to make the the hairs on my neck stand up in the second half...brilliant.

And if anyone ever gets bored watching the football,try watching Jody Morris kick off in the technical area ...it’s brilliant,all the coaching staff have to run off the bench to drag him in.

There’s a hint of something special brewing at Derby and I don’t reckon it’s the usual pile of disappointment.

........Get some special brew down ya neck, stick on your stereo, whack on the Idles give the misses a kiss, the kids a cuddle and enjoy another 3 points and another day being alive and being a Derby County Football Club Supporter......Well Done.

3 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Forsyth was absolutely dire in the first half and it wasn't just my opinion either, but to be fair to him he did well second half and played in a great cross for the goal. However overall, I would still like to see  Malone start on Wednesday , as his first touch when under pressure is often dire and he always gets beat very easily by fast wingers like matt Philips and he positions himself very narrowly forcing the winger to do most of the work.  

That’s it with fozzy tho, his passing is poor but ‘ has 1 good cross a game, a guy like Marriott is perfect for that, his goal tonight was superb 

Tomori had a great game, but unfortunately, has to take some of the blame for the goal. He just switched off allowing Freeman a run to the near post which led to Fozzy abandoning the far post and leaving the goalscorer oceans of space.  He seems to have the misfortune that a lot of his mistakes end up in the back of our net. His speed of recovery and passing are excellent as a rule though.  I wonder if BJ had come on for CB, whether he would have stopped that attack outside the box.

Still, it was a great second half display against the best team in the division at this moment in time.

16 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Malone should only be considered ahead of Forsyth if we play a back 5. Defensively he's weaker than Fozzy but from what I've seen of him so far, he offers a more consistent threat going forward. Not saying we will but a back 5 could also help out young Bogle. After a great start to his first team career it looks as though his confidence has taken a bit of a knock in recent games - still makes good runs but his first thought now is to play the ball either back to Keogh or square to the defensive midfielder. Playing 3 central defenders could give him more licence to go forward , knowing there's still Keogh (and probably Tomori) sitting in behind him.

Great win - much deserved! I can't be overly critical about anyone, although I think that first half by Forsyth was the worst by any Derby player this season. He looked clumsy. He had the freedom of the left wing at one point and dribbled it straight out of play because he couldn't keep up with his feet. I'm absolutely baffled how their bloke had all that space at the back post, too. 

It could have been a lot more comfortable had we been able to find that final ball on more occasions, but I have to give it to United's defence at the same time. They made a few last ditch interceptions that kept the score down. I would have given MOTM to either Keogh or Marriott. The latter scored and set one up on his first league start at home, so I'd be incline to give it him. He's a top player. 

I'm not sure that we'll both be up there at the end of the season, but I'd suggest that one of us will be - probably at the expense of the other. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Karen was busy telling me about her Mum who isn't very well but I didn’t hear the full story  because the ball went in the net before she could finish dare say I’ll find out next week. 

what a cracking result. Blades played really sharp football in the first half - apart from the goal they ran the show, we looked half a yard off the pace as they ran the midfield always having an extra man, luckily no cutting edge and if anything we produced more clear cut chances .. a weird half. 

Much better second half, we woke up and started challenging more and from 60 mins you could see that Sheffield had run out of puff. Great cross from Fozzie and real killer finish from Jack the lad.

Keogh .. peerless .. top performance

Tomori .. jeeps his pace, recovery and sheer doggedness is excellent. Intelligent, loved the way he turned a corner in to a goal kick by keeping his composure under pressure. 

Bogle .. their number 3 scared him early on and seemed to have his number but the boy is so skilled and it showed as the game progressed and he got in to his stride

Fozzie .. game of 2 halves - great cross. 

Hudds .. seems to amble around but some great touches, oddly I think he and Bryson aren’t quite on the same wavelength yet ? That isn’t to criticise either of them 

Bryson .. hope he’s ok .. nice finish Bryso

Lawrence .. added some nice touches and some energy. Wasn’t selfish .. just shot on sight, no probs with that. But for a touch of luck he could have made or scored one at least

Harry .. great talent in there but had 2 breaks where he could have scored or set someone up and fluffed it. Looked happier when closer to Mount

Mount .. frightens the pants off opponents. Pleasure to see him in our shirt

Waghorn .. almost had a worldy  with the bender on the turn and is clearly a good player but looked uncomfortably out of position 

Marriot .. hungry dynamo .. peach of a finish 

Flo Jo .. too far away for me to see much as his presence was mostly in the opposite corner 

Great to see Curtiss back on the pitch.

Well played lads .. you deservedly beat the top of the league team who play skilled football ... Nuff said 

Yeah Yeah Karen.................

Archived