V Sheffield United (H) Match Thread

Millenniumram

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, JarodyDCFC said:

Anyone else think Huddlestone deserved MOTM? Didn’t put a foot wrong all night. Massively underapreciated imo.

Thought Keogh deserved it for the way he read the game, but Huddlestone slowly started to dominate, by about 70 minutes he had the midfield completely under his control. That imo is the main reason we got the grip on the game in the second half that we did, he became a base for every to move around and knitted everything together. Vitally important for me and absolutely wins his place, in spite of Johnson’s excellent form this season. Hopefully we’ll start to see him get better as well, always think players like him and Curtis grow in form when they start consecutive games as they start getting their reading of the game back.

4 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Missed the whole thing... was on the moors...

Wilson and Mount played together in centre mid? What was the formation?

We were 4-3-3 with Huddlestone the anchor and Mount and Bryson further up. But Bryson was injured very early on. The ball didn't go out of play for ages, but eventually we made the substitution, replacing him with Lawrence, even though Bradley Johnson was on the bench. Lawrence went left wing and finally we got to see Wilson and Mount together as the more forward two of the midfield three (as was tried pre-season). It took a while to get used to, but the Blades hardly had a kick in the second half.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Much better second half as we played probing football.

The first half was poor. Too many trying to go for a killer pass too early and we were just giving it them back.

Wasn’t impressed with a few of our counters in the second half. Far too greedy, and this time that was Wilson and not Lawrence.

Thought we were the much better team second half. Sheffield United didn’t make the most of their first half dominance.

LMFAO - This is such a Bris post. Damning with faint praise if ever I saw it. First off, we weren't remotely dominated. We were disjointed in the first half and invited them to play football and while they looked more polished, they only hurt us when we rolled out a red carpet for them. Wolves dominated us last season, as did Fulham in the second leg of the play-offs without being nearly as clinical. To a lesser extent, Leeds did too early this season. Sheffield most certainly did not. Any side can look good if the other team is constantly turning over possession, hence why when we ceased to be so wasteful (in the second half), they seldom threatened if at all. You also qualify a good win for us by suggesting that at least in part, as a result of them not making 'the most of their first half dominance' whilst ignoring the fact we could have had 3 or 4 goals in the second half where we made them look quite ordinary. Moreover, you've ignored some very good individual performances in favour of highlighting an apparently poor performance from a kid less than 20 games into his senior career. And this after a plethora of posts this week implying that that the same player's dead ball ability is more rooted in dumb luck than his technical ability, a ludicrously uninformed suggestion in itself. As if that's not enough, you've also taken a really cheap shot in labelling the same player 'greedy' when for all we know, he may have been been given a remit to be brave and take risks. I'd venture that Frank and Jody see the likes of Harry, Tom, Mason and Flojo as potential game changers and most likely insist that they try to play without fear. All have the ability to beat players or at very least turn them around, an approach that is the very antithesis of the percentage game favoured by Snakey. Do you suppose that them being recruited is a mere coincidence? Do you also assume that if any of them were so accomplished that they could take risks and beat players regularly with quality end product, as well as instinctively know when to keep things simple, that they'd be playing in the Championship? Frustrating as you seem to find it, their recruitment (Tom aside) speaks to a sea change in approach and philosophy, one that can yield sublime moments of quality amidst the inevitable 'failings' you so relentlessly point out. Before you try and rubbish this suggestion, ask yourself how many Championship players would have dared to to try and beat Argentina's top stopper from nigh on 40 yards out, let alone be blessed with the technical ability to actually pull it off? Fact is Bris, any arse can be a critic but few get to play any sport at the higher echelons. Moreover, despite the litany of perceived shortcomings you've highlighted both in terms of the squad and Lampard and Morris's work (our season's over, Jack's a dud who doesn't fit the system, we failed to recruit the personnel who could play the way Lampard outlined, failed to address the age of the squad, yadda, yadda, yadda) we sit 5th, 4 points off the top and are right in the mix with a younger team trying to play proper football with a recognisable style and philosophy that's quite akin to what we were promised. Given the inexperience of much of our squad, the fact that we've totally revamped how we play the game over a single window and have a man 13 games into his managerial career, I'd expect any sports journalist vaguely worth his salt to see more positives than failings. let alone one appraising the club he apparently supports. Folk have suggested that I call you out to garner 'cheap likes', but the truth is less elaborate. I call you out is because in your desperation to stand apart from the crowd, you mostly talk utter garbage. 

Bris, Forsyth laid the cross on for the guy you labelled a dud in the "is Marriott a dud?" thread that you started. Go back to the City Ground you dud.

5 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Bris, Forsyth laid the cross on for the guy you labelled a dud in the "is Marriott a dud?" thread that you started. Go back to the City Ground you dud.

It wan't the only quality ball in from Forsyth, he hits a great cross. It was a good game and I can't really grumble at any of our players, I really enjoyed it other than the kids badgering me for the TV for the xbox all through the second half.

Work on Monday will be fun, I sit with a Leeds fan and a Blades fan.

7 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Forsyth was absolutely dire in the first half and it wasn't just my opinion either, but to be fair to him he did well second half and played in a great cross for the goal. However overall, I would still like to see  Malone start on Wednesday , as his first touch when under pressure is often dire and he always gets beat very easily by fast wingers like matt Philips and he positions himself very narrowly forcing the winger to do most of the work.  

Well with that recommendation for him, let's make Malone captain as well!??

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Really didn’t have much impact on the game for me. Not saying he was poor, but he should’ve covered their man for the goal.

That’s opinions I suppose but I thought he had a good 2nd half and they struggled to handle him,if he gets a 5 nobody gets more than a 6

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Really didn’t have much impact on the game for me. Not saying he was poor, but he should’ve covered their man for the goal.

Their goal was never down to lawrence, watch it back yeah hes about but also tom huddlestone (whos job it is to be defensive) just lets him skip past, then pretty much the whole defence are poor.

A poor goal to give away, but we recovered so well from it.

10 hours ago, Wolfie said:

...and that’s why I was surprised to see Lawrence come on instead of Johnson when Bryson had to go off. 

Still, all’s well that ends well?

Me too mate, thought it was a big mistake putting Wilson in CM but that’s why I pay to watch and not get paid ?

How much more in control did we look with Hudds back in the side ? That football last night is exactly the style of play I love quick counter attacking through the middle football! Never really relied on our wing play was a lot more direct and we won the middle field battle all in all against a good Shef United side. 

6 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

It wan't the only quality ball in from Forsyth, he hits a great cross. It was a good game and I can't really grumble at any of our players, I really enjoyed it other than the kids badgering me for the TV for the xbox all through the second half.

Work on Monday will be fun, I sit with a Leeds fan and a Blades fan.

Black Ops 4 or Fortnite?

Thought the blades played well, they will be up there come May. They have a great team spirit, we would have lost this earlier in the season. We scared them going forward, our bench would get into most teams in the Championship. Once we got to grips with their midfield and style of play we were the better team, even when they had all of the possession in the first half we still had the better chances although it could have been different if their crossing was better. I heard what their manager said about being out of site in the first half but their keeper was worked a lot harder than Carson.

I hope this isn’t a false dawn and we kick on, different lot of fixtures coming up but as they say there are no easy games in this league. Just like to call out Frank, he saw the issues and fixed them at half time, he was also brave to bring on Lawrence for Bryson and that caused them problems. So well done Frank.

2 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

That’s opinions I suppose but I thought he had a good 2nd half and they struggled to handle him,if he gets a 5 nobody gets more than a 6

Fair enough, perhaps it’s a little harsh but I just get frustrated with his laziness and overskilling sometimes. Remember one counter attack breaking down second half because instead of just trying to control the ball he tried to touch and turn their defender at the same time. I’m not a massive Lawrence critic but he does frustrate me at times, just needs to learn when to use his ability, because he does have it

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Their goal was never down to lawrence, watch it back yeah hes about but also tom huddlestone (whos job it is to be defensive) just lets him skip past, then pretty much the whole defence are poor.

A poor goal to give away, but we recovered so well from it.

I’m not on about the midfielder who ran into the box, Wilson should have dealt with that. I meant it should be Lawrence covering Basham at the back stick, being the right sided false centre back, in a defending sense he should be Lawrence’s man to track. He’s stood too narrow inside ball watching and only moves toward him In the last second

Few thoughts:

delighted for Fozzy on the cross, his touch deserted him in the first half to the point where Timori stopped passing sideways to him, credit for keeping going. 

Jayden looked like he’d told to calm down and pass rather than his trademark head down runs into the penalty area. Him and Waghorn as a right wing pair didn’t work (compared to the trust he had with Mason B or even Luke Thomas pre season). Felt like Wilder’s tactics were to overload our full backs as potential weak spots.

Absolutely delighted to see so many flair players on the pitch for us at the end - Lawrence and Wilson (and though not yesterday, Josefzoon) running at defenders is the trigger for chaos - occasionally they’ll lose it, but they have ability to cause an opportunity/free kick. 

It only took the whole of the QPR game and the first half of yesterday for Derby to realise that high balls for Marriot are over his head...we have a poacher now, let him poach. 2 starts in, he looks like a 20 goal striker being coached by Nugent. 

Our crowd woke up after the second goal - from a rare East Stand position, felt really quiet (but finished in style)

First home game in a while - so first time i’ve seen that poem on screen. reminds me of Rik Mayall in the Young Ones ‘people’s poet’. 

Archived