V Sheffield United (H) Match Thread

Millenniumram

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Their goal was never down to lawrence, watch it back yeah hes about but also tom huddlestone (whos job it is to be defensive) just lets him skip past, then pretty much the whole defence are poor.

A poor goal to give away, but we recovered so well from it.

It wasn’t,Lawrence had 2 players to pick up.

When I first  watched it I spat toast at the tv,well at TL on the tv.

Once I had got a grip and watched it I realised I was being a knob.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last season I went to Pride Park to see the 1-1 draw with the Blades. It was one of the worst, most boring and depressing matches I have ever seen. Rowett's tactics put me off, to put it mildly, so that was the last game I attended last season.

What a contrast with yesterday. Had we drawn or lost, I would still have thought what a fabulous game it was. And admired DCFC's management from top to bottom as to how it is transforming our once-great club forwards into something to be enjoyed and proud of. Bringing back the glory days, if only as yet in reputation.

A Brexit analogy springs to mind. Snake Rowett = Theresa May. Who will be the UK's Uncle Mel/Frank to dig our great country out of the hole she has dug us into?

There, that should provoke a response.

42 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Fair enough, perhaps it’s a little harsh but I just get frustrated with his laziness and overskilling sometimes. Remember one counter attack breaking down second half because instead of just trying to control the ball he tried to touch and turn their defender at the same time. I’m not a massive Lawrence critic but he does frustrate me at times, just needs to learn when to use his ability, because he does have it

Most wingers at this level frustrate at times,he’s going to be a big player for us this season especially if we actually give the lad some support.

4 minutes ago, Half fan said:

A Brexit analogy springs to mind. Snake Rowett = Theresa May. Who will be the UK's Uncle Mel/Frank to dig our great country out of the hole she has dug us into?

There, that should provoke a response.

It won't mate. 

You're about to be banned ??

10 hours ago, 86 points said:

LMFAO - This is such a Bris post. Damning with faint praise if ever I saw it. First off, we weren't remotely dominated. We were disjointed in the first half and invited them to play football and while they looked more polished, they only hurt us when we rolled out a red carpet for them. Wolves dominated us last season, as did Fulham in the second leg of the play-offs without being nearly as clinical. To a lesser extent, Leeds did too early this season. Sheffield most certainly did not. Any side can look good if the other team is constantly turning over possession, hence why when we ceased to be so wasteful (in the second half), they seldom threatened if at all. You also qualify a good win for us by suggesting that at least in part, as a result of them not making 'the most of their first half dominance' whilst ignoring the fact we could have had 3 or 4 goals in the second half where we made them look quite ordinary. Moreover, you've ignored some very good individual performances in favour of highlighting an apparently poor performance from a kid less than 20 games into his senior career. And this after a plethora of posts this week implying that that the same player's dead ball ability is more rooted in dumb luck than his technical ability, a ludicrously uninformed suggestion in itself. As if that's not enough, you've also taken a really cheap shot in labelling the same player 'greedy' when for all we know, he may have been been given a remit to be brave and take risks. I'd venture that Frank and Jody see the likes of Harry, Tom, Mason and Flojo as potential game changers and most likely insist that they try to play without fear. All have the ability to beat players or at very least turn them around, an approach that is the very antithesis of the percentage game favoured by Snakey. Do you suppose that them being recruited is a mere coincidence? Do you also assume that if any of them were so accomplished that they could take risks and beat players regularly with quality end product, as well as instinctively know when to keep things simple, that they'd be playing in the Championship? Frustrating as you seem to find it, their recruitment (Tom aside) speaks to a sea change in approach and philosophy, one that can yield sublime moments of quality amidst the inevitable 'failings' you so relentlessly point out. Before you try and rubbish this suggestion, ask yourself how many Championship players would have dared to to try and beat Argentina's top stopper from nigh on 40 yards out, let alone be blessed with the technical ability to actually pull it off? Fact is Bris, any arse can be a critic but few get to play any sport at the higher echelons. Moreover, despite the litany of perceived shortcomings you've highlighted both in terms of the squad and Lampard and Morris's work (our season's over, Jack's a dud who doesn't fit the system, we failed to recruit the personnel who could play the way Lampard outlined, failed to address the age of the squad, yadda, yadda, yadda) we sit 5th, 4 points off the top and are right in the mix with a younger team trying to play proper football with a recognisable style and philosophy that's quite akin to what we were promised. Given the inexperience of much of our squad, the fact that we've totally revamped how we play the game over a single window and have a man 13 games into his managerial career, I'd expect any sports journalist vaguely worth his salt to see more positives than failings. let alone one appraising the club he apparently supports. Folk have suggested that I call you out to garner 'cheap likes', but the truth is less elaborate. I call you out is because in your desperation to stand apart from the crowd, you mostly talk utter garbage. 

Type instead of talk or both perhaps...............

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Keogh had an excellent game. Forsyth was garbage. Looked far too laboured.

I’m amazed we’re 5th. Especially after winning just two of the last seven games.

Fozzy crossed for Waghorn's free header, for Marriott's shot wide and for Marriott's goal. Pretty sure there were several others.

He was also involved in the first goal, drawing the opponent towards him before playing it through to Mount, so creating the gap for Harry Wilson to run into.

At the back he was a calm presence, for instance his lovely header back to Carson. I love the extra defensive cover his height and strength gives us.

Why the irrational dislike of him?

Yes, Keogh had a great game and I'm also amazed we're 5th.

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’m amazed we’re 5th. Especially after winning just two of the last seven games.

How many have a much vaunted Leeds side won out of their last 7 pal? Oh yeah, two, the same as us and yet they sit fourth in the table. Is this some weird stellar anomaly or perhaps a more reasoned observation might be that it's a seriously tight division this year with none of the top teams being completely dominant? I'll leave you to go figure that one out for yourself but here's a clue to help you on your way. The league leaders as of Friday were on a winning streak of four games and had lost only one from seven, a run that included a 4-1 demolition of Aston Villa, and yet that same team got comprehensively turned over by a side that's won 'only' two in the same period. Being an expert pundit I'm sure you can fathom who the two teams I'm referring to might be ?

6 minutes ago, 86 points said:

How many have a much vaunted Leeds side won out of their last 7 pal? Oh yeah, two, the same as us and yet they sit fourth in the table. Is this some weird stellar anomaly or perhaps a more reasoned observation might be that it's a seriously tight division this year with none of the top teams being completely dominant? I'll leave you to go figure that one out for yourself but here's a clue to help you on your way. The league leaders as of Friday were on a winning streak of four games and had lost only one from seven, a run that included a 4-1 demolition of Aston Villa, and yet that same team got comprehensively turned over by a side that's won 'only' two in the same period. Being an expert pundit I'm sure you can fathom who the two teams I'm referring to might be ?

Why the need to be so condescending!? ??

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m not on about the midfielder who ran into the box, Wilson should have dealt with that. I meant it should be Lawrence covering Basham at the back stick, being the right sided false centre back, in a defending sense he should be Lawrence’s man to track. He’s stood too narrow inside ball watching and only moves toward him In the last second

It was Hudds and Wilson, both of whom did nothing to stop the run into the box. Appalling defending in truth. Bring him down if you have to, but at least get a challenge in. 

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Agree with Keogh having a excellent game, but Forsyth was far from useless, he put in some quality balls also he is the best left back at the club at defending, and has been a excellent signing since he came to the club, only cost us a mere 150.000, also has got over a serious injury , so pleased for him, and being 5th does not surprise me at all, some of the football we play at times is a joy to watch, I also think we will get stronger as the season goes on, really enjoying the season so far, this championship is wide open this season, and believe Derby are as good as anyone if not better. Good test coming up away against WBA, think we might surprise a few and get a result. On our day we can beat anyone in this division.

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Fair enough, perhaps it’s a little harsh but I just get frustrated with his laziness and overskilling sometimes. Remember one counter attack breaking down second half because instead of just trying to control the ball he tried to touch and turn their defender at the same time. I’m not a massive Lawrence critic but he does frustrate me at times, just needs to learn when to use his ability, because he does have it

balls.

A fantastic, much-needed win.

The trouble is that it would be typical of us to follow that up by making West Brom look like Barcelona and Middlesbrough like Man City. So it’s hard to get overly excited at this point. When we see some real consistency, I think the whole fan base will be bouncing.

The erratic nature of the division means that we are always going to be in and around the top six without too much effort.

Put the Old Trafford heroics to one side, and I think we are still waiting for a statement-making performance from Frank and the boys.

I mean I think it’s fair to say we are good enough to beat anyone on our day at home and it shows. We could have quite conceivably won 6 from 7 in our home games this season.

I think what we need to see now is the team putting it all together and finding a way to grind out results away from home, otherwise it’s going to be a case of one step forward, two steps back every week.

So the two upcoming games should be very telling if we want to know our prospects for this season.

But yes, there is plenty to be optimistic about. We are going to be very dangerous once the team settles and we start to click.

It’s turning games like the ones v Norwich, Blackburn, QPR, Millwall in our favour that will be the difference come season’s end.

And maybe yesterday is a sign that we are starting to find that quality.

Wow! I really enjoyed that! Probably the best game of football I have seen for some time!

A cracking start, and a fairly even first half, with only two shots each by half time. If anything, we showed them too much respect in the first half, noticeably with us pulling everybody back for corners. Sheffield United had plenty of possession, and at times we were seeing the Derby County of old, happy to stand back and watch the opposition pass the ball around. Overall we held our own quite well, and 1 - 1 was a good half-time score.

It could have been better - with both Mount and Wilson missing the chance to put Marriott clear through on goal. And for once, the ref was pretty good, although he did have his moments. He did nothing about several very cynical fouls to stop our counter-attacks, until he booked whoever it was who clattered Lawrence in the second half. United also got their man when Bryson was taken out in a promising move in the first half. He needed a lot of treatment, and never really recovered, going off injured. The ref simply gave a silly grin and waved play on, when it should have been a yellow. It shows that we have really good squad, because we were able to make significant changes to the team when Bryson went off, and we took it in our stride, even though he has been awesome, according to Frankie boy. No wonder he was targetted. They also had a few goes at Marriott, but he is a tough little cookie and simply kept on going! The ref also played his part in the equaliser - Marriott was hauled to the ground, but nothing given, and immediately after United were given a free-kick for nothing which led to the goal, just as happened against QPR. But it wasn't the ref who affected the score, it was poor defending. We had several chances to put in a tackle or block, and then allowed the ball to get through to a totally unmarked man at the back post. If we can't defend properly, we will let goals in!

We came out for the second half with a much more positive attitude, although we still tended to be too slow in our passing and build up lay, although United worked hard to press us when we had the ball. We were much more willing to have a go at goal, and were knocking on the door for a while before the second goal arrived, and it effectively killed the opposition off. Their body language said "demoralised", with the defence being on the rack for some time, and it took them quite some time to start pressing forwards again.

Tomori was superb, with Bogle not far behind, and Keogh being very strong and secure. Apart from heading and shooting wide, Waghorn was fairly ineffective, and Forsyth had a poor game. He assisted with the second goal, and put in a couple of good crosses, but was very wasteful with the ball, and was very slow in deciding what to do with it. Even so, he never went hiding, and was always available for the ball. Very good. And Tom Lawrence seemed much more willing to pass the ball instead of taking on one defender too many. Well done.

A number of people felt we had "winged" it, but I thing it was a good, well-earned victory, and could have been much clearer if either of those passes to Marriott had reached him, or if we had approached the first half in the way that we did the second half.

Either way, we are 5th, only 4 points off top, and that after a relatively unproductive patch. I thought we would have a tough match today, but we did all right, so rather than worry about all the top teams we have got to play, we can look forwards with the attitude that they have got to play us! We can beat any of them if we approach things right, so the future looks very good.

On 20/10/2018 at 18:16, ram1964 said:

Lawrence already looking the weak link, no service to marriot, Wilson needs to pass better, need to gain more procession and take control of the game allowing Sheffield to much time in the ball.Can still win this

After your weak link comment it seemed TL was the key to us surging forward for every counter attack.

Fingers crossed he starts on Wednesday, looked a handful running at the Sheff Utd defenders.

Archived