v Bolton Wanderers (A) Match Thread

Boycie

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Bennett will never be good enough to regularly start for a Championship promotion challenger. I think he's useful though, in that mould of Connor Sammon where he scares defenders with his energy and willingness. Not much ability at all though.

We're not that far away though. We need another linking midfielder, better quality outwide and a new striker.

Problem is, if we don't get Mount, Wilson or Tomori back next season, we're going to have to focus on plugging those gaps with quality before focusing elsewhere and that will cost. 

Hopefully we can sell Lawrence to some sucker willing to pay more than we did to help fund what's needed to get the right players in.

Not that far away you say but we need a midfielder, a winger, and another striker ? kneejerk or what?

19 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

The problem we have at the moment is he's currently on the last man looking out for a tap in. Unfortunately we created one decent chance in the whole 90 and in general so far this season we're not creating chance after chance which is what strikers like JM require. This is my only gripe with bringing on Marriott. I'm not sure it was a game for Marriott, Boltons defence absolutely lapped him up. 

When we've got our groove a bit more and we're all pulling in the same direction I'm sure he'll score a hatful. Currently it's give it to Mount or Wilson and hopefully they'll pull something out of the bag. 

Agree with this...excellent assessment. Marriott looked pretty busy but didn't get a look in. Nugent had even less impact. 

My biggest gripe was the lack of desire to take on the last man.... kept passing slowly into traffic...Bennett didn't go at his man.. Wilson..Lawrence kept cutting inside. Forsyth and Keogh kept accepting the ball but once on the edge of the box they run out of ideas.

1 minute ago, Remy the hare said:

Not that far away you say but we need a midfielder, a winger, and another striker ? kneejerk or what?

Not really kneejerk. I'm talking about competing for top two. Of the 8 bottom half teams we've played we've only beaten 4 of them. That's not good.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Bet you were gutted with the Brentford and Man United games?

So just to make sure, we are going to lose to all the good teams we haven't played yet?

If you think we could have had an easier start to the season than playing the 6 worst teams in the league in the first 10 games along with games against very average Blackburn, Brentford and Bolton teams then you are kidding yourself. 

Mae should have a minimum of 24 points and be sitting top but instead we have 1 more point than all the average teams in this league who are fighting it out for the prestigious 12 spot. 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not really kneejerk. I'm talking about competing for top two. Of the 8 bottom half teams we've played we've only beaten 4 of them. That's not good.

I think realistic this lot can achieve top 6. We just need to learn to be more canny with teams that park the bus. Stoke are losing to Rotherham so I’m happier now. Oh Ince as just scored booooo!

57 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Time for Forsyth and Bennet to be dropped I don't know why they started today in the first place but surely Malone and Waghorn deserve a chance to start now. Forsyth is a mediocre player nowhere near good enough for a promotion team, I know this will get a lot of hate but why the duck would you buy Malone and then play Forsyth week in week out.

Malone is no better than forsyth,neither are good enough.

22 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

1287370488_Screenshot_20180929-182728_MemeGeneratorFree.thumb.jpg.1df42c0c548ab3866595d517efbf6cbf.jpg

Haven't had chance to catch up on the thread yet so apologies if this has already been said. We were well and truly Rowettballed there today. One hopeful hoof into the corner did the damage. We didn't stop the subsequent cross or deal with it when it came over. Game over and the Joke from Stoke would have been sat as smug as that photo. We pretty much controlled the game without creating anything meaningful except Mounts late effort. Slightly worrying that we're struggling to break down teams that set up this way. I think it was @Cam the Ram that posted as much before the game. If so, well called sir.

Just got back. Bolton are the worst team I’ve seen this season which makes the result more frustrating. Honestly thought we’d take them apart after the first 5 mins. Their goal seemed to suck the energy out of us. 

It was a bad day at the office. The passing was pedestrian and obvious. Thought Bogle just didn’t want to get down the right and mostly he just passed back to Keogh. Felt like they knew that they weren’t playing with enough tempo but didn’t know how to solve the problem. 

Too many ball played into the air in their box. Perfect for their defenders. I felt sorry for Marriott. Only time he got it to feet he had to come deep. 

We just could not flow in a crowded half. Nothing new. The only way to beat these type of teams is to really go for that opening goal and obviously don’t concede!!

23 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Thought our best players were Tomori and Bradley again. Both did their jobs.

Agree...

But Keogh had a lot to do...Tomori was happy for him to attack the ball and also bring it out and he never hid.

Players were very static..not offering options.  Nugent was anonymous... Bennett hardworking but just didn't commit players. Bogle was lucky to get away with letting his man slip  away early on ...and didn't get forward...meaning we were very narrow....and no real pace to get over the top.  

Pass pass pass.... lose it... 

One good chance at the end. Neither keeper made more than one average save. A little lack of urgency.

No major concerns..just very very frustrating.

45 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

If you think we could have had an easier start to the season than playing the 6 worst teams in the league in the first 10 games along with games against very average Blackburn, Brentford and Bolton teams then you are kidding yourself. 

Mae should have a minimum of 24 points and be sitting top but instead we have 1 more point than all the average teams in this league who are fighting it out for the prestigious 12 spot. 

Yep Lampard has had an average start. Controversial but it will be proved right in time(like with Rowett). We get bullied against the lesser teams like Millwall, Bolton, Rotherham etc. If teams play defensive then we’re dead easy to play against. Boy we miss Will Hughes man, our midfield is average. One game against a crap Man Utd side(although still one of the biggest clubs in the world) doesn’t change that. Burton Albion would have beaten that Man Utd side. Saw today’s result a mile off like yourself.

We were poor, I think the Man Utd game took it out of us. I had Rotherham and Bolton as bankers, or at the very least a draw. We need to find a Way to open these defensive teams up, I don't think frank has a plan B really. Also it baffles me that Lawrence walks straight back into the side, imo we are a better team without him. I expect us to get something  against Norwich, they will come to win,which suits us. 

Today has been like a bucket of cold water after the win at Old Trafford. Really thought we would have been buzzing with momentum today, so I was actually pleased to see an unchanged team. Really disappointing that we can't beat these pedestrian teams away from home, it just isn't good enough for a club with its sights on the Premier League. Personally I think pace is part of the answer against teams that have parked the bus, missed a trick not having Flo Jo on the bench today

Archived