v Bolton Wanderers (A) Match Thread

Boycie

23 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I don't think there's any irony given that Keogh must be the busiest ball playing centre half in the division. When we stop relying on him to bring it forward or try and split a team in two then I might get annoyed by this but he's taking a lot of our midfields responsibility at the moment. The Oztumer battle he somehow lost is probably cause for concern but I'm not going to knock a centre back for trying to play out when his team mates give him nowt to pass at.

In an ideal world he wouldn't lose the ball but this is the Championship after all, I much prefer him to lose the ball trying to unlock a defence than the drivel he was lofting forward first half at United. More of the same hopefully, just with his mates infront of him helping him out much more.

What you want in any team is a degree of responsibility. Each professional footballer should have the self belief to want the ball all of the time. They should as part of that do all they can to put themselves in space so it's easy for their teammates to find them.

Too many of our players hide behind their markers.

When a player sees a wall of backs their options are keep it or pass sideways or backwards. None of these options are popular with the fans.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 86 points said:

What exactly do you think he has to learn? Given you seem to think you have the solution maybe you should drop him a mail with your your insights. It's a simple equation - do we want percentage football which still doesn't guarantee a win against negative sides, or do we persist with trying to play proper football. We were leggy today with the lads having run themselves into the ground against United and that's all there is to it. Do you seriously think that he's never played against teams that park the bus during his career? No side in the div is rolling over every team they play including Leeds who some on here gifted the title after 3 games. I'll settle for us playing decent footy and losing odd games to those who don't. Way better entertainment than last year after all! Frank's had 10 games, that's all, to completely revamp the side. I think he's doing a great job and I think by the end of the season we're going to be a proper football team. In the interim, patience is key.

If the players were leggy then why did he play them? We have a big squad, why not use them if the players were suffering from fatigue? Dropping Jozefzoon from the squad completely was ridiculous in my view.

17 hours ago, caymanram said:

Thought our best players were Tomori and Bradley again. Both did their jobs.

I like Johnson, he’s been great so far the season but he poor yesterday some real poor passes and tried to many clever long balls which didn’t even get close to making a man! Defensively he was fine! Biggest disappointment for me was how Josefzoon got dropped and Lawrence came in and did bugger all but stupid tackles  

Josefzoon likes to beat his man and sees a simple pass. We missed him yesterday. Also, I thought Fozzie did ok. Yes he made a few sloppy passes but was more productive than Bogle. Produced a great ball for Mount where we could have equalised. I’m unsure about Malone’s defensive qualities. Admittedly, I only saw him at Oldham in the cup. 

Watching the highlights on RamsTV, when the game opened up we looked good. Unfortunately, it only stayed opened up for about 10 minutes. And the time wasting.... there’s something to be said for playing two halves of 35 mins when the clock stops when the ball goes dead. 

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

If the players were leggy then why did he play them? We have a big squad, why not use them if the players were suffering from fatigue? Dropping Jozefzoon from the squad completely was ridiculous in my view.

My biggest issue yesterday was Mount playing when he clearly wasn't well . There is a duty of care issue here if he was throwing up prior too kick off.  At his age the decision as too how well he is surely needs to be taken out of his hands.  At the age of 19 you feel a bit invincible and don't want too look soft in front of your peers.   We had other option's rather than playing a lad who couldn't keep in water and running him into the ground .   If it was deemed we had no other option we have problems.

4 hours ago, Topram said:

I like Johnson, he’s been great so far the season but he poor yesterday some real poor passes and tried to many clever long balls which didn’t even get close to making a man! Defensively he was fine! Biggest disappointment for me was how Josefzoon got dropped and Lawrence came in and did bugger all but stupid tackles  

Johnson is so frustrating. He can have have a couple of good games like Brentford & Man U which make you think 'yes, we've finally got the player we paid £6m for'. He then chucks all that away by having 4 or 5 stinkers.

42 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My biggest issue yesterday was Mount playing when he clearly wasn't well . There is a duty of care issue here if he was throwing up prior too kick off.  At his age the decision as too how well he is surely needs to be taken out of his hands.  At the age of 19 you feel a bit invincible and don't want too look soft in front of your peers.   We had other option's rather than playing a lad who couldn't keep in water and running him into the ground .   If it was deemed we had no other option we have problems.

Might just be nerves.

Charlie george used to throw up, if you can believe that. Someone of his self-confidence and ability!

4 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If he was as poorly as you suggest he shouldn't have played. We have other options and let's not forget that we will have to manage without Mount next season. 

4 hours ago, Wrightdcfc said:

Not to scapegoat or anything before I get penalised for it.. but one massive do not in football and that is turn your back. Happened yesterday for us to concede the 1st sloppy goal, cost us the match. ???? 

I have just started reading Mick McCarthy’s autobiography and you’re right. There it is first page, first chapter - “One massive do not in football and that is turn your back”.  Young Lampard I fear may not have the level of experience we need.

First time during his post match interview- or any one for that matter- where Frank has lost his rag a little bit. First sign of a bit of pressure. When Gibbo asked him whether he thought he was right in starting the  same team from Tuesday match....

Nothing major- just an interesting part of the managerial learning curve I guess...

Having watched the first half i was shocked to discover that it took us until the 48th minute to have our first shot at goal despite almost total dominance. Those stats which suggest we had loads of shots seem highly suspect.

The problem for me was the negative passing of Bryson and forsyth in particular. Even bogle caught the bug. Fozzy lost the ball  too easily on three or four attacking forays. Johnno was more likely to overhit a long pass. The misplaced pass by fozzy that sparked them in life was a combination of square passing and sloppiness.

The consequence of the mis-firing engine room was that the four attacking players didn't see enough of the ball and had absolutely no space when they did. Energy levels were ok, but we looked increasingly mentally tired and lacking the necessary creative spark.

I said on the Manu thread ‘there will be plenty of lows like Millwall, Leeds and Rotherham but the highs will outweigh them’ 

it got a lot of likes... 

I bet I could go back and find the same people liking that post, whinging that we’re not good enough or need a plan B today. 

Do you have any idea how young our squad is?? They’re not used to how teams like Bolton/Rotherham play against good teams. This will come in time. By Christmas we’ll be pinging the ball so quickly that gaps will appear in even the most defensive of set ups. Keep the faith. 

It just didn't happen for us on Saturday from tempo and movement to doing the simple things well. Im disappointed as i always am when the rams lose - We have had a tough week or so and Saturday was probably a step too far for some with tiredness not to mention Mount chucking up just before kick off. Were 9th and 4 points off of top? we have a very good side but were just a little inconsistent at the moment - that will come hopefully from now till Xmas we can start to push on and keep the levels of performance up. People need to remember that our manager is only 10 games into his management career and were 9th in a tough league, if this is how we are after 10 games (beating Brentford and Man U) then think what we will be like after 20? 

Saturday was poor but onto Wednesday now, big 3 points and stake and then hopefully a decent result at QPR to follow - could be going into the international break in top 2 you never know! UTR

7 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

It just didn't happen for us on Saturday from tempo and movement to doing the simple things well. Im disappointed as i always am when the rams lose - We have had a tough week or so and Saturday was probably a step too far for some with tiredness not to mention Mount chucking up just before kick off. Were 9th and 4 points off of top? we have a very good side but were just a little inconsistent at the moment - that will come hopefully from now till Xmas we can start to push on and keep the levels of performance up. People need to remember that our manager is only 10 games into his management career and were 9th in a tough league, if this is how we are after 10 games (beating Brentford and Man U) then think what we will be like after 20? 

Saturday was poor but onto Wednesday now, big 3 points and stake and then hopefully a decent result at QPR to follow - could be going into the international break in top 2 you never know! UTR

Norwich at home and QPR away are tough games before the International break for a team like Derby 

On 01/10/2018 at 11:08, Edtheram said:

I don't think we've been inconsistent to be honest. Brentford aside I think we've been consistently average. 

Archived