v Bolton Wanderers (A) Match Thread

Boycie

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They defended to a system and did it very well. It was done with method not just bodies. Plus they broke effectively and second half had a fair bit of the game. It was like a classic away performance but played at home against a team they knew would be all style....

Nearly every team who aren’t in the top 6 will play us the same way.

I think they deserved it.

If we change it and lose the manager gets criticised

if we keep the same team and lose then the manager gets criticised

the thing is we aren't exactly flush with alternative energetic centre mids.

in fact....we haven't got any have we?

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Spotted a trend in your posts. Do you have a little "Lampard Out" banner on standby?

Like you've just said. 85% of the Championship teams are like Bolton. It will be repeated a lot this season. That's the facts done.

Did you watch the game? Outplayed tactically? How? They hoofed diagonals and created what? 1 shot that Carson saved. The goal they scored came from a chance not as open as the Mount one (the "toothless" shot from about 6 yards out). 

I'm guessing Brentford aren't one of the 85%? 

Are Norwich or will you decide after you see the result.

I'm confused. I read a lot how we only beat teams in the bottom 6 but then I read we can't break these sort of teams down. 

I need a list of teams that are rubbish but good and good but rubbish to get my head around it.

I am just calling it as I see it. At the end if the day I just want us to win and/or do well. Today was total frustration. In truth I don’t think we would have scored over 180mins.

I am a fan of Lampard but you have to follow a horses for courses approach to get promoted from this league. No, I wouldn’t include Brentford in that 85%- they like to play football . But today will be repeated a lot unless Lamps does develop some different approaches.

Time for Forsyth and Bennet to be dropped I don't know why they started today in the first place but surely Malone and Waghorn deserve a chance to start now. Forsyth is a mediocre player nowhere near good enough for a promotion team, I know this will get a lot of hate but why the duck would you buy Malone and then play Forsyth week in week out.

No points and only one goal V teams in the bottom half( and they'll most likely finish there) is very worrying and needs to be addressed and quickly. But people saying we've no chance of finishing in the top six are way off the mark in my opinion. Before these 3 away games if we had been offered a mediocre win..a draw..and a defeat...most fans would have turned up their noses..yet such a modest return would see us now sitting pretty at the top of the league.I reckon Frank and Jodie will learn the harsh realities of this league before long and set teams up accordingly.In the meantime perhaps we should adopt Frankies style at PP and Rowettball away? Just a suggestion!

6 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Time for Forsyth and Bennet to be dropped I don't know why they started today in the first place but surely Malone and Waghorn deserve a chance to start now. Forsyth is a mediocre player nowhere near good enough for a promotion team, I know this will get a lot of hate but why the duck would you buy Malone and then play Forsyth week in week out.

Because forsyth's played well overall this season and when he's played Malone hasn't? Crazy, I know

6 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Maybe 'Big Nuts' is basing his team selection on what he's seen in training and matches so far, rather than the players transfer fee?

I haven't seen today's game, but Fozzy has been excellent in the three preceding matches.

3 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

Because forsyth's played well overall this season and when he's played Malone hasn't? Crazy, I know

Malone has played 2 or 3 games he played well in the cup vs hull and then didn't do well in the league vs hull in the second half as he looked like he lacked match fitness , which is not a surprise as he isn't getting any game time and he doesn't play in the under 23s for match sharpness. Forsyth is a bang average player and makes mistakes every match,  he plays well the odd game but that seems to make people give him the benefit of the doubt after he plays poo every other match.

13 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

No points and only one goal V teams in the bottom half( and they'll most likely finish there) is very worrying and needs to be addressed and quickly. But people saying we've no chance of finishing in the top six are way off the mark in my opinion. Before these 3 away games if we had been offered a mediocre win..a draw..and a defeat...most fans would have turned up their noses..yet such a modest return would see us now sitting pretty at the top of the league.I reckon Frank and Jodie will learn the harsh realities of this league before long and set teams up accordingly.In the meantime perhaps we should adopt Frankies style at PP and Rowettball away? Just a suggestion!

Marriot needs to start these sort of matches we need to play more direct and I think that would suit Marriot more

3 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Marriot needs to start these sort of matches we need to play more direct and I think that would suit Marriot more

The problem we have at the moment is he's currently on the last man looking out for a tap in. Unfortunately we created one decent chance in the whole 90 and in general so far this season we're not creating chance after chance which is what strikers like JM require. This is my only gripe with bringing on Marriott. I'm not sure it was a game for Marriott, Boltons defence absolutely lapped him up. 

When we've got our groove a bit more and we're all pulling in the same direction I'm sure he'll score a hatful. Currently it's give it to Mount or Wilson and hopefully they'll pull something out of the bag. 

Bennett will never be good enough to regularly start for a Championship promotion challenger. I think he's useful though, in that mould of Connor Sammon where he scares defenders with his energy and willingness. Not much ability at all though.

We're not that far away though. We need another linking midfielder, better quality outwide and a new striker.

Problem is, if we don't get Mount, Wilson or Tomori back next season, we're going to have to focus on plugging those gaps with quality before focusing elsewhere and that will cost. 

Hopefully we can sell Lawrence to some sucker willing to pay more than we did to help fund what's needed to get the right players in.

Look the fact similar styles like Bolton,Millwall and Rotherham have beaten us is by no means the end of the world.

Frank is an intelligent person and is cutting his teeth in management we all know this, our style of play looked better suited against teams that are trying to win from the off.

Frank WILL soon find the solution to away games like this and when he does the consistency should follow.

We are not always going to roll so called lesser teams over but i firmly beleive Frank and co will find a formation / style/ solution to this which may well mean different formations and personnel for certain games.

If we had changed several players today and lost fans would be moaning it was because we changed a winning team and no doubt Frank will look at his team selection today and maybe ask did he contribute to our downfall today with naming the same side but teams should be wary of us and i don't beleive in changing who we are and how we are trying to play just because we are playing a Bolton or a Millwall but certain tweaks maybe necessary against such teams but don't think we should compromise too much on style. The management team here will be asking the same questions a lot of us fans are asking but its a learning curve.

We will get there do not worry 

Archived