The Championship 18/19

Day

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just look behind the dug outs at Elland Rd, there are seats. Now take a look at the view they must have. How the hell can they see anything whatsoever. Bizarre to want to sit there. Worse than ground level behind a goal. 

15 minutes ago, Squid said:

Teams as low as 12th are close to 2nd! ? Crazy league. 

The slightly depressing thing, though, is that we just had 3 cracking results, 7pts from a possible 9, and we’re still where we started off. How did everyone else get 7pts? Someone must have dropped points in the past week. How is this league so congested?

44 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

The slightly depressing thing, though, is that we just had 3 cracking results, 7pts from a possible 9, and we’re still where we started off. How did everyone else get 7pts? Someone must have dropped points in the past week. How is this league so congested?

Yeah, it is a bit of a kick in the teeth but we've got rid of WBA, Boro away and Sheff United. Might benefit us later.

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

We need to pick up points against teams like Millwall, Rotherham & Bolton.

46 minutes ago, Gritters said:

We need to pick up points against teams like Millwall, Rotherham & Bolton.

But we didn’t, and we were in 6th, now we’ve picked up loads of points in a week, no matter the teams, and we’ve made no progress up the table. That’s a bit frustrating. All those heroic performances just to tread water. 

12 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

But we didn’t, and we were in 6th, now we’ve picked up loads of points in a week, no matter the teams, and we’ve made no progress up the table. That’s a bit frustrating. All those heroic performances just to tread water. 

I think this was hinted at earlier... we have now taken these 7 points from these three teams.  How many of our rivals will take the same 7 points from the same fixtures?

Frustrating for now, maybe, but there's still a chance that this weeks good return will show it's true rewards further down the line.

On 27/10/2018 at 23:37, TigerTedd said:

All those heroic performances aren't to tread water, they're to keep you up there and to build the platform for wins likew today when you do jump a couple of places.

They also mean that if you have a drop off and lose one or two you're not going to be left behind.

32 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

All those heroic performances aren't to tread water, they're to keep you up there and to build the platform for wins likew today when you do jump a couple of places.

They also mean that if you have a drop off and lose one or two you're not going to be left behind.

I get that, and obviously it’s better to win than to loose, and it will all add up in the end. But it is a bit disheartening that after a string of results like we’ve had, you’d kind of expect us to be rocketing up the league or clear at the top. But even after this round of games, should Leeds win their game, we’ll only have moved up one place. 

I feel for Birmingham. 11 games unbeaten, won the last 4 before today, and still only in 10th. 

I’m not quite sure how that happens. Looking at the league, it’s still really congested. That would imply that everyone is taking points off everyone else. But if that’s the case, then one team going on a bit of a streak like Birmingham have been on, or we seem to be at the beginning / middle of, should be able to break clear. 

But it’s not working out like that. It’s weird. 

Or maybe I’m impatient. I guess you need a steak of like 20 games before you can see that half a point advantage start to reel the early pace setters in, before starting to create a gap, and the 4 months down the line, you realise it was slow going, but there you are at the top of the mountain. It’s what a long hard season is all about I suppose. 

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the Villa v Birmingham game (3-2 to Villa so far), i do despair about the quality of some of the younger referees coming through the system. The level seems to be worsening rather than improving - maybe a symptom of the much closer scrutiny officials are being put under in the media which puts off many who might otherwise take up the whistle.

Archived