The Championship 18/19

David

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think there are more prepared teams than us. Teams that have been building longer, and are more in line with their manager’s idea of playing style.

I look at Shefd Utd and don’t necessarily think they have a better squad of players, but they’ve been playing their way much longer and each know their roles well.

Derby are in transition. Half the players we have now won’t be here next season. We’ve just gone from a totally different style under Rowett and some won’t be able to hack Lampard’s playing style, like Tom Lawrence for instance.

It’ll take a year or two for us to get there, with next season potentially being worse than this one. 

I think we’ll do well to finish top 10 this season. I think we’ll generally play well, will even have a few Brentford type performances along the way which will make you think we’re on the right track, but we’ll suffer from inconsistency and we’ll also have repeat games/results similar to Bolton and Millwall.

Interested to know who these teams are then?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Interested to know who these teams are then?

The ones I think that will finish above us?

The seven that are above us now I think either have a better set of players, or have been together longer and thus comfortable playing what is asked of them.  Leeds and Brentford especially look better than us, even if we beat the latter.

Boro and Forest are certs to do well. West Brom look comfortable top six.

Sheffield Wednesday have the players. They finished in the top six twice under Carvalhal, and they went top 6 form for the last 10 games of last season when they got players back from long-term injurues. I wouldn't be surprised to see them up there.

Sheff Utd have been under Wilder and accustomed to his style a lot longer. They're another safe bet for top 8-10. Norwich have had more time under Farke and they've got a decent team there. Wouldn't surprise me if they do well.

Stoke, Swansea and Villa could go either way.

My top six prediction was Forest, Sheff Wed, Boro, WBA, Brentford and Stoke. 5 of the top 7 are currently there, with Leeds and Sheff Utd being the other two. Still plenty of time to go, but I don't see Derby up there.

17 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The ones I think that will finish above us?

The seven that are above us now I think either have a better set of players, or have been together longer and thus comfortable playing what is asked of them.  Leeds and Brentford especially look better than us, even if we beat the latter.

Boro and Forest are certs to do well. West Brom look comfortable top six.

Sheffield Wednesday have the players. They finished in the top six twice under Carvalhal, and they went top 6 form for the last 10 games of last season when they got players back from long-term injurues. I wouldn't be surprised to see them up there.

Sheff Utd have been under Wilder and accustomed to his style a lot longer. They're another safe bet for top 8-10. Norwich have had more time under Farke and they've got a decent team there. Wouldn't surprise me if they do well.

Stoke, Swansea and Villa could go either way.

My top six prediction was Forest, Sheff Wed, Boro, WBA, Brentford and Stoke. 5 of the top 7 are currently there, with Leeds and Sheff Utd being the other two. Still plenty of time to go, but I don't see Derby up there.

You’ve literally named 11 teams in your post. Hedging your bets much? Just goes to show how competitive this league is, I suppose. 

I don’t disagree that all those 11 teams have potential, and they’ll all take points off each other, hence no runaway leaders at this point. I reckon it will be a particular low point score for the top 2 and top 6 this year. Not through lack of quality, but the opposite.

i see where you’re coming from, and I’ve said many times that it would be unfair to expect promotion from a rookie manager in his first season. But, with my ease tinted glasses on, I tvj k we can beat any of the top teams, they can all beat each other, and with a relatively low target score for top 6 this season, I think we’ll be in the mix. Wouldn’t surprise me if there were 5 or 6 teams in the mix come last day of the season though. Should all be very exciting. 

52 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

I just think it’s daft to sack a manager with experience of getting out this league and replace with the unknown.

You’re not wrong. He got them to the play off final last season. But for a bit of luck they could be where Fulham are now. And on Saturday, but for a missed penalty, he could essentially be basking in the glory that Mourinho currently finds himself (having scraped a win against a crap side), and bought himself a bit more time. 

We were managerless, so why not take a punt on Lampard, and if nothing else, the media attention he brings raises our profile. Aston Villa are the biggest club in this division, do they really need their profile raised by a superstar manager? It’s probably these new owners who had never heard of Bruce. Maybe they should appoint Zola.

Your posts states that Lawrence won’t be able to “hack it” but failing to see why you think that?! Lawrence is quality, he has shown that at international level and especially when played in the right position. 

It amazes me how people get on at Lawrence when Bennett, Josefzoon and for most part of the season Wilson have done nothing....we should be using Lawrence to his potential and not trying to shoe horn in a loan winger that won’t be here next season and a Derby lad that after 8 years at the club simply isn’t good enough.

Anyway, we all have our own views I guess.

23 hours ago, 86 points said:

Way beyond us huh? OK, so lay me a bet at 4/1, for charity or for sh1ts and giggles, your choice. As per your earlier posts in this thread, you are the sports market predictions master so you'll doubtless have no issue putting your money where your mouth is. £500 OK with you, if not what is? I'm deadly serious by the way. 

Bet365 will give you 5/2 for Derby to finish in the top six.  So they are suggesting that there is roughly a 28.5% chance in their opinion.  Naturally they are overstating it slightly in order to have a profit margin.  Paddy Power are even more sanguine about our chances offering just 2/1. Neither of those seem to think the top 6 is way beyond Derby this year.  I'm not convinced we'll mount a challenge, it's hard to tell at the moment, but  at those odds it looks a reasonably good bet to me. 

I dunno. Where would we be without our resident football experts telling us why every dawn is a false one and how any pleasure derived from our games is predicated on a fundamental lack of understanding, an inability to see the bigger picture, if you like?  Praise be to those Delphic oracles of sport who selflessly live only to point out the idiotic nature of our dreams as, frankly, we'd be lost without them.

35 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Bet365 will give you 5/2 for Derby to finish in the top six.  So they are suggesting that there is roughly a 28.5% chance in their opinion.  Naturally they are overstating it slightly in order to have a profit margin.  Paddy Power are even more sanguine about our chances offering just 2/1. Neither of those seem to think the top 6 is way beyond Derby this year.  I'm not convinced we'll mount a challenge, it's hard to tell at the moment, but  at those odds it looks a reasonably good bet to me. 

Yeah, there were several shows of 3/1 last night but half the layers have temporarily closed their books for reasons best known only to themselves and the others have formed new books today. Bit silly really but it does give them an opportunity to shorten up all teams and see if anyone will play at the newly quoted prices. I tend to avoid bookies and play the exchanges as typically the prices quoted are significantly better than with the traditional bookies. They also suspend betting far less frequently ☺️

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

I dunno. Where would we be without our resident football experts telling us why every dawn is a false one and how any pleasure derived from our games is predicated on a fundamental lack of understanding, an inability to see the bigger picture, if you like?  Praise be to those Delphic oracles of sport who selflessly live only to point out the idiotic nature of our dreams as, frankly, we'd be lost without them.

I personally don’t think this is a false dawn. I think under Lampard the potential is there to reach and sustain ourselves in the Premier League.

I just think this season, and potentially next considering the likely numerous changes to the playing squad, will be transitional seasons.

Right now there are too many teams ahead of us in their own project. 

Having said that, the Championship is tight this season with a low points for 6th expected, and the playoffs deemed are a lottery. 

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I personally don’t think this is a false dawn. I think under Lampard the potential is there to reach and sustain ourselves in the Premier League.

I just think this season, and potentially next considering the likely numerous changes to the playing squad, will be transitional seasons.

Having said that, the Championship is tight this season with a low points for 6th expected, and the playoffs deemed are a lottery. 

I think you've missed my point Bris. I don't really care whether you think it's a false dawn or not. Most on here are fans, supporters, call them what you will, not journo-wannabes endlessly outpouring pish they think nobody else has noticed. It'd be nice just once were the club and it's fans to be unified and backing the team and the manager but there'll always be some Captain Hindsights waiting in the wings who after one or two poor games will leap out from the wings to say 'I told you so' then act all contrite and offended when folk query whether they'd rather Derby do well or be able to say, 'See! I was right'.  Conversely, when the team is on a decent run, the very same folk are strangely silent. Presumably they go missing because they are dancing around their kitchens in delight at Derby's success. Or maybe not. You don't think we'll finish top 10. We've all heard and duly noted your appraisal and we'll see whether such pessimism is ultimately justified over the course of the season. 

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Two free hit seasons, really? Folk like @86 points are not going to except that! If Franks not top 2 by Christmas 2019, he'll be gone. 86 points will win you the championship this season.

2 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Two free hit seasons, really? Folk like @86 points are not going to except that! If Franks not top 2 by Christmas 2019, he'll be gone. 86 points will win you the championship this season.

Care to cite a single post that supports your argument Remy? Other folk on here will happily tell you that I'm not the type to hound out players or managers. Never have been, Old Blockhead aside. Frank gets as long as he needs as far as I'm concerned. I've seen enough already to believe he's a good appointment and I'm enjoying watching the team way more than in recent times. Long may it last as far as I'm concerned because for me, good football is the ultimate aim and not necessarily promotion. Can you say the same?

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

Care to cite a single post that supports your argument Remy? Other folk on here will happily tell you that I'm not the type to hound out players or managers. Never have been, Old Blockhead aside. Frank gets as long as he needs as far as I'm concerned. I've seen enough already to believe he's a good appointment and I'm enjoying watching the team way more than in recent times. Long may it last as far as I'm concerned because for me, good football is the ultimate aim and not necessarily promotion. Can you say the same?

You seem passive aggressive with anyone who says anything slightly negative or gives an opinion that differs to yours. 

I agree with @Bris Vegas some teams are longer down the road than us. Eg. we have 6 managers worth of players on the books that don’t fully understand the style yet.

I don’t understand the posters who say they like what the see either? Other than Brentford we’ve been average at best. The 3 signings who have made an impact are loans and other than Marriott none of the signings seem for the future. Your username I think will win the championship this season and maybe something like 65 points will get you in playoffs. I am sure nobody wants a scenario of 06/07 again by gaining promotion luckily and then to go through 07/08. All I am saying is be careful what you wish for.

P.S - do you ever sleep?

10 hours ago, 86 points said:

This exactly.  I fell in love with my local team Derby County when I was a little boy in short trousers in 1968. I have lived through the many highs and lows ever since. I always look forward to the game, If we are not that good I always hope we can play above ourselves and snatch a win. If we are good I naturally love the euphoria and satisfaction of winning. I am not in a hurry to tear apart whoever didn't do well I prefer to focus on what went right, I really don't see the satisfaction on focusing on the negatives unless for some its a chance to look knowledgeable, to be a pundit if you like. The thought of sitting here coldly predicting why we are going to lose or struggle is, if I'm honest completely foreign to me. Every next game we are going to win, every player is going to play out their skin...…….What's the point of bothering otherwise.

On a general point all the over analysis we seem to have on TV these days is getting boring. I have noticed on MOTD that the minutes of games shown is reducing and the minutes devoted to punditry is increasing.  Its almost as if punditry and transfer windows have replaced the actual game. I'll never fall out of love with football, and Derby County in particular, but I sure as heck are falling out of love with the way its presented.

3 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

You seem passive aggressive with anyone who says anything slightly negative or gives an opinion that differs to yours. 

I agree with @Bris Vegas some teams are longer down the road than us. Eg. we have 6 managers worth of players on the books that don’t fully understand the style yet.

I don’t understand the posters who say they like what the see either? Other than Brentford we’ve been average at best. The 3 signings who have made an impact are loans and other than Marriott none of the signings seem for the future. Your username I think will win the championship this season and maybe something like 65 points will get you in playoffs. I am sure nobody wants a scenario of 06/07 again by gaining promotion luckily and then to go through 07/08. All I am saying is be careful what you wish for.

P.S - do you ever sleep?

Dunno where you get the passive bit from mate. Everyone else says I'm a massively blunt see you next Tuesday. The rest is all just blind assumptions, none of which really applies to my way of thinking so there's not a lot of point in me addressing any of it. My last post referred to me not caring about promotion and then you respond with a sermon on 2007 and being careful what I wish for. Says it all really. Before you think I'm being moody I'm not as it really doesn't bother me I'm just bemused that for all the things folk could level at me, you chosen a bunch of stuff that doesn't apply one iota. Oh, the aggressive thing yeah, deffo, but that's only because I never sleep, otherwise I'd be a pussy cat.

14 hours ago, Highgate said:

Bookies don't come up with odds based on what they actually think our chances are. It's just based on where the betting money is going.

7 hours ago, 86 points said:

Dunno where you get the passive bit from mate. Everyone else says I'm a massively blunt see you next Tuesday. The rest is all just blind assumptions, none of which really applies to my way of thinking so there's not a lot of point in me addressing any of it. My last post referred to me not caring about promotion and then you respond with a sermon on 2007 and being careful what I wish for. Says it all really. Before you think I'm being moody I'm not as it really doesn't bother me I'm just bemused that for all the things folk could level at me, you chosen a bunch of stuff that doesn't apply one iota. Oh, the aggressive thing yeah, deffo, but that's only because I never sleep, otherwise I'd be a pussy cat.

Sorry then pal. Read it the wrong way. Accept my apologies. One question why 86 points?

Archived