v Reading (A) Match Thread

rynny

Reading are certainly going to play deep with men behind the ball, with the idea of keeping it for long periods. Unfortunately, for them, I think they will place far too much pressure on David Meyler who at a stretch is a decent Championship player on a good day. I don't think any of their other midfielders offers much in the way of defensive support. 

Not a great team & could well be struggling next season. Clement doesn't do the manager job role at all.

Carson; Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Lowe; Ledley, Bryson, Mount; Wilson, Lawrence; Nugent

The team definitely to start, but no idea who will be on the bench. Marriott, I'd imagine will get on it & come on for the at least 20 minutes. 

I don't see anything other than a win, but I've been wrong before. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there’s an argument to suggest that all of Clement’s signings have been flops, not just Johnson, with the exceptions of Carson and Ince. Even then, Carson and Ince were reportedly McClaren’s signings as they were sorted out by McClaren before he was sacked the first time, Clement only gave the final approval. The only other signing that you could argue was a good signing was Baird, and even he was awful under Clement and Wassall, he only started to play well when McClaren was reappointed.

We didn’t get anything for Bent, Baird, Shackell or Camara and very unlikely to get anything for Johnson, Blackman, Butterfield or Olsson as their contracts expire next year.

Then there’s Weimann, the only other player apart from Ince that we managed to get a fee for, who we sold at a loss(which is a bigger transfer fee loss than at face value if you take into account the inflation of the transfer market).

I thought that Clement was okay as a manager but in hindsight was very reckless with his signings.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I think there’s an argument to suggest that all of Clement’s signings have been flops, not just Johnson, with the exceptions of Carson and Ince. Even then, Carson and Ince were reportedly McClaren’s signings as they were sorted out by McClaren before he was sacked the first time, Clement only gave the final approval. The only other signing that you could argue was a good signing was Baird, and even he was awful under Clement and Wassall, he only started to play well when McClaren was reappointed.

We didn’t get anything for Bent, Baird, Shackell or Camara and very unlikely to get anything for Johnson, Blackman, Butterfield or Olsson as their contracts expire next year.

Then there’s Weimann, the only other player apart from Ince that we managed to get a fee for, who we sold at a loss(which is a bigger transfer fee loss than at face value if you take into account the inflation of the transfer market).

I thought that Clement was okay as a manager but in hindsight was very reckless with his signings.

When Derby appointed clement, he was made the highest paid manager/head coach in the championship and was doing newspaper interviews to show off his signed shirts from Ramos and Ronaldo........

i was expecting more than “okay” tbh.......?

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

I think this could be a harder game than some are predicting. I think over the course of the season Reading will struggle but first games of the season ,especially if they’re on TV are generally very tight, as teams don’t want to embarrass themselves on national television in the first weeks of the season. The palace game aside, Reading have drawn in pre season against some decent sides. I foresee a similar game to the game away against Sunderland last year where everyone expected us to batter them after they lost 5-0 against Celtic the week before.

Words of caution I agree with. Before I get slaughtered I am going to predict a V for our New Look Rams in Prediction League once I’ve got the team news. 

But there's no doubting Sky will see Frank as box office so there’ll be lots of hype and interest from them, no doubt the Chelsea link between the two managers will gain some air time too. Reading will see this as a chance of a spoiler so come KO I’ll need some serious calming, sadly no alcohol due to work commitments but it’s a Do Not Disturb come 2000 hours.

On a Snake City note I’ve a mate who’s a big fan at work and I mentioned their new title which he wasn’t aware of but he was quite shocked! Wonder how many Snake fans know of their rebranding! Told him it wasn’t personal of course ???

6 hours ago, McLovin said:

Clement renowned as one of the best coaches in the footballing world, hired as the most expensive manager in the Championship and given a budget of £25m + on transfer fees plus whatever on wages, etc. 

It looked like a sure thing, he'd improve the players that he had here & he'd sign players to improve us. What happened? He took nearly every single player backwards. Carson is literally the only player that improved during his time here under him, that's probably because of the goalkeeping coach more than anything else. 

It was a calculated gamble by Mel Morris, but he couldn't see into the future & the effects are still hurting us now. At the time, I don't think there was anyone against it. 

Hope we don't overplay it at the back too much.

we were guilty of that v wolves and got ourselves into a pickle a couple of times

Sound familiar, from the match thread on the Reading forum:

"Reading still appear to be suffering badly with an inability to create very much very often. The football is still too pedestrian and the passing still too crabby though there does at least seem to be less faffing about at the back with the ball just because Reading have it. Oh for the days when you passed the ball forward with pace and played at a high tempo to get the right to play your game your way. Oh for the days of excitement and actually seeing something worth getting behind"

Make no mistake, this will be a really tough game. It will be a good test of our lads if we come through. Seeing him training with the rest this week, does Vydra get to make it onto the bench? I reckon Frank will say "he's not quite ready".

Need to get off to a flyer here. Pressure on massively immediately with sky all over our inexperience but renowned coaching staff. Reading are no great shakes imo, and could seriously struggle this season, but we’ve never been known to get off to particularly strong starts in seasons past, we need to change that this time and start as we mean to go on. Reading will no doubt be organised so we can’t rely on mistakes, but they look to have a fairly slow team which could play into our hands. Will be very much a battle of who gets control of the ball and the game. Pressing them clearly will be our best strategy, play some of the football we’ve played in the home games in pre season and we should be able to create some good chances, all a question oh finishing them atm. I’d go with:

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Lowe

Ledley

Mount Bryson

Wilson Nugent Lawrence

Subs: Mitchell, Forsyth, Pearce, Johnson, Jozefzoon, Thomas, Marriott 

Team picks itself for this game, but going into the season the striker situation will be interesting with Marriott settled and potentially Vydra staying. Would still like another midfielder more suited to the team than Johnson to cover attacking mid too, will see where Evans fits in too.

Suspect this will be a tight game as all openers are, let’s just hope to get one over on clement after the mess he left us in!

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sound familiar, from the match thread on the Reading forum:

"Reading still appear to be suffering badly with an inability to create very much very often. The football is still too pedestrian and the passing still too crabby though there does at least seem to be less faffing about at the back with the ball just because Reading have it. Oh for the days when you passed the ball forward with pace and played at a high tempo to get the right to play your game your way. Oh for the days of excitement and actually seeing something worth getting behind"

Make no mistake, this will be a really tough game. It will be a good test of our lads if we come through. Seeing him training with the rest this week, does Vydra get to make it onto the bench? I reckon Frank will say "he's not quite ready".

Can't see vydra featuring at all. I think they'll still be trying to sell him until the last minute on 9th august.

i would expect nuge to get 60 mins, marriott 30 mins.

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Clement renowned as one of the best coaches in the footballing world, hired as the most expensive manager in the Championship and given a budget of £25m + on transfer fees plus whatever on wages, etc. 

It looked like a sure thing, he'd improve the players that he had here & he'd sign players to improve us. What happened? He took nearly every single player backwards. Carson is literally the only player that improved during his time here under him, that's probably because of the goalkeeping coach more than anything else. 

It was a calculated gamble by Mel Morris, but he couldn't see into the future & the effects are still hurting us now. At the time, I don't think there was anyone against it. 

Erm ,I was against it and said so

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Garbage I'm afraid  ... so nobody was unhappy with MacClaren's sacking?Some of us were.

Few Stats

Derby's record v Reading 

Won 12 Drew 9 Lost 23

At Reading 

Won 3 Drew 5 Lost 13

Last 5 at Reading 

Mar 14 drew 0-0

Oct 14 won 0-3

Sept 15 won 0-1

Oct 16 drew 1-1

Feb 18 drew 3-3 

Means nothing but I was bored at work 

5 hours ago, irobinson said:

Here already lads - Frankie Lampards purple and lime army.......they won’t know what’s hit them 

image.jpg

I will be there tonight, tomorrow and every day next week, lucky me, for the match I will drive as it’s 5 mins I’m my car. Looking forward to this one and have high hopes.

i will be the one at Reading station on Monday morning with a grin ?

Archived