v Reading (A) Match Thread

rynny

10 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

How do you rate your chances this season Bobby? Also, how do Reading fans view Clement? He got a bit of stick here for the style being a bit dull but he results were OK for the most part apart from the slump towards the end.

Our chances

I think we will struggle to be honest.  I don't believe we will get relegated and our season will be marginally better than the last.  But I think we will be in for more boring football.  I think we will finish around 16th.  I'd be happy just to survive at the minute as we are really still struggling to shake off the feeling of last seasons near relegation.

I'm a bit more hopeful after a couple of signings we've had but I'm really not hopeful of Clement

Clement

I think Clement is possibly the worst type of replacement we could have had for Jaap Stam.  I've not warmed to him at all and everything I've heard about him has been negative.

Our issue over recent seasons has been just boring, turgid football.  To the point that in the last two seasons there were home games where I sat or stood, furious that I had given up my Saturday to watch absolutely nothing.  Games where not a single shot was made or on target.  No intensity, no creativity, no real grit or passion.  Just 11 players just poncing around a pitch.  

Anyway, bit of a rant.  

How do you think you guys will do?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LE_Ram said:

Was planning on watching this from the comfort of the living room but sod it first game of the season and all that, has to be done ?

Anyone know what the parking situation is like at Reading?

There is a couple of places near to the ground - like Acre Road - which is paid parking.  I think it's £8.  That is about 3 minute minute walk to ground.

You can also park at Mereoak and use the Park and Ride -I've not done that myself but I know it does work well as there are special bus lanes

I personally park in Whitley - a residential area about 20 minute walk away.  That's where lots of people park.  The area around Hartland Road and Blandford Road you'll find spaces.

After the game, walk back there rather than sit in the car in traffic. 

8 minutes ago, BobbyTheReadingFan said:

Clement

I think Clement is possibly the worst type of replacement we could have had for Jaap Stam.  I've not warmed to him at all and everything I've heard about him has been negative.

Our issue over recent seasons has been just boring, turgid football.  To the point that in the last two seasons there were home games where I sat or stood, furious that I had given up my Saturday to watch absolutely nothing.  Games where not a single shot was made or on target.  No intensity, no creativity, no real grit or passion.  Just 11 players just poncing around a pitch.  

Anyway, bit of a rant.  

Sounds like us last season but we still made top 6 - there you go that's as positive as I can be about Clement for you! ?

6 minutes ago, LE_Ram said:

Was planning on watching this from the comfort of the living room but sod it first game of the season and all that, has to be done ?

@BobbyTheReadingFan Is that massive park and ride next to the ground not open on match days? Some of the local businesses do what they do up here and let football fans park there for a fee the holiday inn definitely used to - not sure if it still does though. 

4 minutes ago, BobbyTheReadingFan said:

Anyway, bit of a rant.  

How do you think you guys will do?

Don't worry Bobby - we had the same boring crap with Clement as well before taking a step up back to Mac2 and then falling off a cliff down to Rowett football and now back up to entertaining football under Lampard. Hopefully you see a change in style with your next manager.

We have realistic expectations these days, so at minimum autos, but I don't really think we should be doing any worse than champions. In reality if we aren't at least challenging for playoffs I will be very suprised.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Sounds like us last season but we still made top 6 - there you go that's as positive as I can be about Clement for you! ?

Us Reading fans hate play offs.  I think we've had 6 Play Off final appearances now and not won a single one!  ?

I'd definitely settle for 1st or 2nd though.  ?

8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

@BobbyTheReadingFan Is that massive park and ride next to the ground not open on match days? Some of the local businesses do what they do up here and let football fans park there for a fee the holiday inn definitely used to - not sure if it still does though. 

Don't worry Bobby - we had the same boring crap with Clement as well before taking a step up back to Mac2 and then falling off a cliff down to Rowett football and now back up to entertaining football under Lampard. Hopefully you see a change in style with your next manager.

We have realistic expectations these days, so at minimum autos, but I don't really think we should be doing any worse than champions. In reality if we aren't at least challenging for playoffs I will be very suprised.

The only park and ride I know off is near the M4 - Mereoak.  Park there, bus to ground and bus back after.  The ground itself I think are all for buses to/from town and other areas... and those with parking badges.  Ah yes, The Holiday Inn on the A33 - they do have some paid parking for football I believe.  Just get there early ish as that dual carraige way can get very busy as it's the main route out of town to the M4

Haha, hope you're not let down and you do get your spot as Champions!  There are certainly worse candidates for that position!  

24 minutes ago, BobbyTheReadingFan said:

There is a couple of places near to the ground - like Acre Road - which is paid parking.  I think it's £8.  That is about 3 minute minute walk to ground.

I beg your ducking pardon?

Is that a typo?

1 hour ago, LE_Ram said:

Loads of parking nearby I normally park here.

THE WORLD TURNED UPSIDE DOWN

387 Basingstoke Road, Reading, Berkshire, RG2 0JE

17 minutes ago, David said:

All you say that names on the back of shirts are for kids come at me! 

I’ll be strutting my stuff in this tonight......round the living room

0D4A91BB-5CB4-4000-9CA8-157C67A080AC.jpeg

My Mount 8 arrived today in white. Not bad to say I only ordered it at 1pm yesterday and picked standard delivery.

Couldn't resist having one with Mount on. If he is as good as he looks and his reputation then it could be one to bring out in future years

8 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Tenner last season for pay on the day - there were some £8 ones we tried but they all said it was for folks who had reserved ?

Fair price I thought - ignore this load of northern heathens on here ?

That is a shocking price

I'd hazard a guess that if you drive a modern diesel it'd be cheaper to have someone drive round the block for 90 mins while you went to the match.

2 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

I'd hazard a guess that if you drive a modern diesel it'd be cheaper to have someone drive round the block for 90 mins while you went to the match.

I know some of the youths from the local estate.  If you want, I can ask them if they'd be willing to drive your car around during the match?  ?

56 minutes ago, BobbyTheReadingFan said:

The only park and ride I know off is near the M4 - Mereoak.  Park there, bus to ground and bus back after.  The ground itself I think are all for buses to/from town and other areas... and those with parking badges.  Ah yes, The Holiday Inn on the A33 - they do have some paid parking for football I believe.  Just get there early ish as that dual carraige way can get very busy as it's the main route out of town to the M4

Haha, hope you're not let down and you do get your spot as Champions!  There are certainly worse candidates for that position!  

The Madejski Stadium has a park and ride. I work in Reading and the company I work for has basically rented one of the corners of that big gravel parking area. Last year when games were on we had Reading FC employees guiding us into parking spaces for some reason - just didn't know if we were actually allowed to be there after a certain time on a match day. Its being built over and a new multi-story to replace it though in the near future.

Didn't know that Park and Ride was there in Mereoak though - useful to know.

53 minutes ago, Norman said:

I beg your ducking pardon?

Is that a typo?

Its the south - everything is more expensive there. 8 hours in the Intu car park is £9 - 8 hours in the oracle in reading is £15.

Archived