v Reading (A) Match Thread

rynny

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I thought Butterfield might be more Lampard's cup of tea, but it looks like we're trying to persuade him to move by not selecting him. I'd rather have had Elsnik or Guy on the bench, but both have had invisible preseasons. Maybe the new kid from Reading will displace Johnson? Hope so. I always prefer a team of quality footballers and bringing Johnson in was such a backwards move.

If Lamps is (partly) about making the best out of what you've got then he'll pick Brad every time. 

I am normally very upbeat  - on preseason form this game should be a doddle .. and that makes me nervous ? 

just hope we are alert and ready for a Reading turning up with a “damn them all” performance and meet it with flair, graft and steel.

Mind you unlike a Rowett team I think the early goal is less important. We will make more chances 

Going to this one as it’s 30mins on the train for me and Franks 1st league game. It be interesting to see who he picks. We have so many players. Looking forward to this as it’s looks like we will play at a fast tempo.

COYR

I usually get to the Reading gam as it’s closer than most. However, I’m not allowed out that late on my own! My son is coming for the weekend but nearly decided not to as I don’t have Sky ( filial love on show!). So it’ll be me, son, 3 granddaughters around 2 iPads. Cosy, though could inhibit celebrations!

4 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Bloody hell whats Brad done to some of you on here , number one scapegoat already , unbelievable, yes Brads got his limitatations but there isnt another midfielder at the club that will get his foot in or run through brick walls like him , there will be games this coming season where Brad will be invaluable , we cant get by with pretty footballers all season , leave our Brad alone

How's anyone making him a scapegoat?

Has anyone blamed him for anything?

I agree we can't get by on pretty footballers alone. But he's not provided much else. 

Used to get this on the DET. I'd say Pearson was a crap player and others would say "Uh, here's the next scapegoat"... nah, I'm not blaming him for the entire match. I'm saying he's crap. Because he was crap.

Then when he left the same people started saying he was crap. So I'm confused. Did he have a really bad training session on the day he left? 

If Johnson left tomorrow what would be the verdict? Played a few good games under Mac. Won headers. Scored a couple of goals. 

I won't be booing him, don't worry about that. I bet I cheer his name as loud as you. But he's still not very good. 

49 minutes ago, Rosythram said:

It would be very nice to go through a whole season playing the beautiful game as we have all dreamt of it being played!

Reality we will have to acassionaly play ugly get stuck in football.

Enter Mr Johnson, to save the day.

We didn't play pretty football at all under Pearson and Rowett and he didnt shine than. 

I will give that under our previous two managers we didn’t play “The beautiful game”

Wasnt that because they weren’t allowed to play that way, so we had a team of destroyers, this season we have creative players, but will still need a sprinkling of destroyers for certain games.

Thats when I think we might be thankful of Mr Johnson.

Bradley Johnson is no good at tackling or intercepting, though.

He isn't a destroyer. If we need more height for set plays towards the end of a game, maybe I would put him on.

Otherwise, you might as well not bother.

Hopefully sky are nice to us for once. They will probably highlight the derby team and how well we've done in pre season and then talk about Clement and readings pre season. Yet when it come to predictions they will be like "Reading win, Baldock is a cut above". Hate Prutton

2 hours ago, Norman said:

Bradley Johnson is no good at tackling or intercepting, though.

He isn't a destroyer. If we need more height for set plays towards the end of a game, maybe I would put him on.

Otherwise, you might as well not bother.

I think he makes about the same amount of tackles as Tom Lawrence and Tom Ince pg 

He won the ball less than Will Hughes. But with about 70% pass accuracy he gives it away much better.

He's good in the air but I don't know where he gets this reputation of being a good defensive player. He wins less than Forsyth and gives it away more. His best performances for Derby came under Mac.

Why will we be glad of him when it's scrappy?

I think this could be a harder game than some are predicting. I think over the course of the season Reading will struggle but first games of the season ,especially if they’re on TV are generally very tight, as teams don’t want to embarrass themselves on national television in the first weeks of the season. The palace game aside, Reading have drawn in pre season against some decent sides. I foresee a similar game to the game away against Sunderland last year where everyone expected us to batter them after they lost 5-0 against Celtic the week before.

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think he makes about the same amount of tackles as Tom Lawrence and Tom Ince pg 

He won the ball less than Will Hughes. But with about 70% pass accuracy he gives it away much better.

He's good in the air but I don't know where he gets this reputation of being a good defensive player. He wins less than Forsyth and gives it away more. His best performances for Derby came under Mac.

Why will we be glad of him when it's scrappy?

I think he has a reputation for being a good defensive player purely because of his phsyicality and when he does defensive work it tends to be 'showy'. I.e. it's all muscling people off the ball or big tackles but people don't notice the numerous times he's got dragged out of position or isn't quite quick enough to close down properly or got us into to trouble in the first place from gifting possession. 

If it was up to me he'd be nowhere near the team purely off the basis that's he unreliable in possession which is criminal for a midfielder even for a supposed enforcer. 

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think he has a reputation for being a good defensive player purely because of his phsyicality and when he does defensive work it tends to be 'showy'. I.e. it's all muscling people off the ball or big tackles but people don't notice the numerous times he's got dragged out of position or isn't quite quick enough to close down properly or got us into to trouble in the first place from gifting possession. 

If it was up to me he'd be nowhere near the team purely off the basis that's he unreliable in possession which is criminal for a midfielder even for a supposed enforcer. 

I didn't plan on turning this into a Johnson hate thread and 100% he alone won't cost us any points this season. I just wondered why people wanted him on the bench when we have some youngsters that could probably contribute as much.

I saw him play for Leeds and Norwich a few times and I thought he was pretty good. Battled well, some good long passes, a goal threat. He was alright. But since seeing him every week I think his contribution is more bad than good. He gives the ball away more than he wins it. He gives away more chances than he creates. 

I do think we could perhaps do with the type of player Johnson is supposed to be. Certainly some teams will be built to expose smaller technical sides by being big strong brutes. Some teams will make sure that our midfield is pressed, kicked to death and marked out the game and will try to force the ball into the sky where they're better. So I get the need for that physical type within the squad. 

Archived