Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

The fact that Waghorn could sign for same amount as we sold Hughes for. Mental.

To be fair, for a striker who scored/assisted so many times last season, it's not that bad of a bad fee. Vydra to go for £12million, so I think £8million through add ons is probably about right.

But then again they only paid £250,000 for him last summer ...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Of course, if the EFL DID NOT exclude the loan settlement, we are completely ducking fine. But its easier to assume the worst case.

If the EFL exclude the loan settlement then that would feck Forest up completely.

I hope the EFL exclude the loan settlement.

Isn't this what QPR's argument has been all along re 2013/14 that the loan settlement SHOULD be included?

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

The fact that Waghorn could sign for same amount as we sold Hughes for. Mental.

To be fair, for a striker who scored/assisted so many times last season, it's not that bad of a bad fee. Vydra to go for £12million, so I think £8million through add ons is probably about right.

But then again they only paid £250,000 for him last summer ...

How much someone went for last season is irrelevant really. All that shows is that they got a bargain for their money.

23 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If this happens it's perhaps the least surprising transfer of the season, in that it's typical of Derby to always pay absolutely top dollar to add an ageing player to an already bloated squad who we'll find it impossible to sell on in future years. We will only buy when the player in question is at the peak of their market value. 

I'd far rather play Vydra in the role, who has fabulous movement, also takes a mean free kick, can play in other good players on his wavelength and has the hardest shot I've seen since Bruce Rioch. 

It's not my money, but if true it seems Mel's intent on creating a fourth senior team as we obviously don't have enough players at the club. 

I also would be playing a fully fit Vydra in our current side through the middle over the lad who may be signing from Peterborough 

waghorn the player would be an asset I believe but obviously £8 million cash seems silly but a possible shifting of deadbeat assets to Ipswich may be a lot more palatable 

7 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Derby County are interested in Ipswich Town striker Martyn Waghorn but their priority target is Peterborough United frontman Jack Marriott, Derbyshire Live understands.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/what-know-derby-countys-chase-1823346

Sounds like we are playing games with Peterborough to me.

34 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If this happens it's perhaps the least surprising transfer of the season, in that it's typical of Derby to always pay absolutely top dollar to add an ageing player to an already bloated squad who we'll find it impossible to sell on in future years. We will only buy when the player in question is at the peak of their market value. 

I'd far rather play Vydra in the role, who has fabulous movement, also takes a mean free kick, can play in other good players on his wavelength and has the hardest shot I've seen since Bruce Rioch. 

It's not my money, but if true it seems Mel's intent on creating a fourth senior team as we obviously don't have enough players at the club. 

This is so clearly the case that I cannot see the thinking behind it. Why lose Vydra who fits for two players who may not? Why would Vydra want to go? He will have it all to. Go up there with a big price tag on his head. No problem if he goes to Prem, just sit on the bench half the time. 

13 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Sounds like we are playing games with Peterborough to me.

Why do we need to? They wouldn't have pulled him out of last night's game if we hadn't agreed a fee or very close to it at least. The Waghorn news came out hours after Marriott was pulled from the squad.

3 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

No way it'll be 8m upfront, so chill. If it's 5m rising to 8m with promotion, goal bonuses, appearances etc, is it really that bad of a deal when you consider the market? 

I'd still say 5m is too much.

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

£8m?!?!?! What the hell?!?! Is someone handing out drugs and I've not been told?!?! How is Waghorn worth £8m?!?! ?

He's not, and we probably won't be handing over £8m for him.

I thought we'd done this to death already?

He didn't exactly excel in the Scottish Premier league, when in theory he should of been scoring for fun. 

Rangers fans were glad to get any £ for him and were delighted for £250k. 

However, he impressed me last season at Pride Park, and gave the Derby defence a really difficult time. He held the ball up well. Get players running off him and he may be a decent addition. 

As for the reported £8m or £5m fee. That's just the market all clubs in England are facing. The only way to get round it is by developing players in the academy's. 

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

He's not, and we probably won't be handing over £8m for him.

I thought we'd done this to death already?

You’d be better off banging your head against a brick wall.

it does make me chuckle that when we sign a player that may be £4 million rising to 8, people only see the number 8, but when we are selling eg Hughes people only see the number 4

1 minute ago, jimbo jones said:

it does make me chuckle that when we sign a player that may be £4 million rising to 8, people only see the number 8, but when we are selling eg Hughes people only see the number 4

So true!

Archived