Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

Just now, Anag Ram said:

I struggle to see how you could pick both.

Wilson and Lawrence will play. So will Bryson, Mount and Hudds/Ledley. 

So unless we decide to play 3 at the back, there's no room for both.

Rotation. The same XI is not going to start every game.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I so wish to like this post but unfortunately, it's still biased. Dismissing high figure presented by Daily Mail is fine, but highlighting shady twitter account's price drop is hardly convenient. It just suits better for us.

In fairness, at least there's a remote chance the shady twitter account could be correct, we KNOW the Mail isn't....

The only people who know the real mechanics of the deal are the 2 clubs. If there is a real willingness to get a deal done either straight cash or plus players it will be done soon rather than later.

The deadline is looking the buying club wants to integrate the new player into the team the selling club wants to get his replacement quick.

Time is of the essence now

7 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I so wish to like this post but unfortunately, it's still biased. Dismissing high figure presented by Daily Mail is fine, but highlighting shady twitter account's price drop is hardly convenient. It just suits better for us.

I get your point but I wasn't using the Marriott figure as accurate. More to highlight the significance of the fluctuations in 'reported' fees

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I struggle to see how you could pick both.

Wilson and Lawrence will play. So will Bryson, Mount and Hudds/Ledley. 

So unless we decide to play 3 at the back, there's no room for both.

70 mins for one, 20 mins for the other.

Both on at times (the mythical "plan B").

Injuries.

Suspensions.

We'll need more than one striker to get us through the season - there's every reason to bring in both IF we can shift a few out.

Just now, ThePrisoner said:

Even if we pay £3/4m for him, everyone will bleat on for years how we actually paid £8m. 

Eventually, someone in an interview or press will get bored of it and say something on it.

Smart people will be able to work out what we paid when the accounts get released, too.

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Either this is going to be a very complicated deal - or the figure being banded about by journos is just wrong.

Based on the money that's come in, we can't afford to spend ~£12m+ on two players even if we sell Vydra for ~£10m

A little over £4m is what we need to balance for FFP, we know that, and I think as Jozefzoon was 750k more than we got for Weimann - so with wages saved we're likely only about £1.5m of the way there (unless those we released were some of the highest earners, which I doubt with the big money we spent on players after them).

We'd probably be looking to see £15m come in, in order to fund this. 

Don’t forget the £2 mil for Ince and £2 mil for the snake going mate. ?

Just now, ThePrisoner said:

Even if we pay £3/4m for him, everyone will bleat on for years how we actually paid £8m. 

Yeah well the fans know best and have a right to be miffed, especially after we sold Hughes for a half-eaten packet of Wotsits.*

*(with an additional £500m add-on clause for 10 senior England appearances).

Is it just me that isn’t too bothered about how much he costs? The money isn’t out of my pocket and I don’t think we ever know how much a player actually costs anyway.

i say just leave them to it and if what Ipswich want is what we are willing to pay, great. If not, move on to the next one.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Eventually, someone in an interview or press will get bored of it and say something on it.

Smart people will be able to work out what we paid when the accounts get released, too.

You're assuming the daft kids will be listening.

5 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Don’t forget the £2 mil for Ince and £2 mil for the snake going mate. ?

I imagine that the £2m for the snake is covering Lamps and his staff. I'm assuming that two coaches who've spent years working at Chelsea are earning more than Rowett's coaches. Given might not be on much though.

The £2m for Ince is true, but the loans aren't free. The realist in me says we've spent £2m on them but even if we're optimistic and we imagine that those loans had no fees then we're only at £3.5m / £4m - so whatever we pay for players we still have to bring more in from sales by ~£1-3m (depending on your outlook on the loans). 

It might actually make it easier to work out the fees. If we sell, say, Vydra this week. And then we bring in Waghorn and Marriott, it would be pretty safe to assume the combined fee is less than what we've got for Vydra.

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

You're assuming the daft kids will be listening.

I don't really care if they listen or not. I don't listen to them. ?

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

70 mins for one, 20 mins for the other.

Both on at times (the mythical "plan B").

Injuries.

Suspensions.

We'll need more than one striker to get us through the season - there's every reason to bring in both IF we can shift a few out.

Both on at times kind of emphasizes my point.

Just now, Anag Ram said:

Both on at times kind of emphasizes my point.

I think the whole point is that the players we would be able to bring on off the bench would be good enough to start. 

It wouldn't be the same players on the bench every game.

And the more first team quality we have, the more options we have for systems.

"A team that picks itself" is not a good thing to have. We need strength in depth, not "adequate" backups.

Not overly enthusiastic about this one.  On his day, he can look a very good player, the trouble is those days are few and far between. I'd much prefer Marriot as at least he's young and, hopefully, has his best years in front of him.

But surely we need to get some bodies out the door now, we're going to end up like Villa at this rate...

3 minutes ago, Dcfcrams89 said:

Is it just me that isn’t too bothered about how much he costs? The money isn’t out of my pocket and I don’t think we ever know how much a player actually costs anyway.

i say just leave them to it and if what Ipswich want is what we are willing to pay, great. If not, move on to the next one.

It's a talking point for us fans , that's all. I 100% trust the club is being run right . Frank Lampard obviously wants a striker to fit his vision I imagine Waghorn fits this .

Strong 

Can hold up play

Presses well 

Pace 

Good in the air 

Good finisher 

Sort of a complete centre forward .

Archived