Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

Don't see the complaint any fans have over this one. Sure having Marriott would be great, but he's not proven (something many of the forum have voiced) surely buying Waghorn, who has proven himself last year would allow for the possibility of Marriott not coming good. 

Plus its a 46 game season, extended cup runs also with some injuries too means having two top strikers is a must in this league. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waghorn had an excellent season at Ipswich, but this was only the 2nd time in his career that he's scored double digits (not counting his time in the pub league). For context, Nick Blackman has similar career stats. If we shell out 8 million on the basis of a single good season, which has apparently increased his value 32 times over, we are insane.

1 hour ago, CHCDerby said:

I think our management team have got everything spot on at the moment and I'd go with their judgement and none of our supporters. 

Bully for you pal. I’m just going on the fact that apart from last season he has hardly been prolific. Before joining Rangers in the Mickey Mouse League he’d scored 33 goals in 172 appearances and at 28 he’s hardly one for the future either. If we really are spending the kind of money on him that’s been quoted then the club is being mugged off again. There just have to be better options than Waghorn out there surely.

Just now, Jayram said:

Bully for you pal. I’m just going on the fact that apart from last season he has hardly been prolific. Before joining Rangers in the Mickey Mouse League he’d scored 33 goals in 172 appearances and at 28 he’s hardly one for the future either. If we really are spending the kind of money on him that’s been quoted then the club is being mugged off again. There just have to be better options than Waghorn out there surely.

He has played plenty of his career on the wing however..

33 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Either this is going to be a very complicated deal - or the figure being banded about by journos is just wrong.

Based on the money that's come in, we can't afford to spend ~£12m+ on two players even if we sell Vydra for ~£10m

A little over £4m is what we need to balance for FFP, we know that, and I think as Jozefzoon was 750k more than we got for Weimann - so with wages saved we're likely only about £1.5m of the way there (unless those we released were some of the highest earners, which I doubt with the big money we spent on players after them).

We'd probably be looking to see £15m come in, in order to fund this. 

Where have you got the £4m figure from?

Just now, RamNut said:

From the accountancy folk who know this shizz from reviewing the accounts - its an estimation of course but those folks dont tend to be too wrong. Pretty sure there's one on here who stated it some time back, but Swiss Ramble on twitter stated it as well.

Of course, if the EFL DID NOT exclude the loan settlement, we are completely ducking fine. But its easier to assume the worst case. Our dealings *so far* suggest that it did get excluded, but we'll see how the rest of the window pans out. 

Vydra had a bit of a chequered past form when we splashed 8m on him and he turned out all right. None of us will know how the 8m will be done either so it's difficult to say whether the deals a bad or good one. I personally like Waghorn and think it will be a good purchase. Bring it on. 

It’s been reported for a while that £8m is the fee Ipswich want, gets out that Derby are in advanced talks....oh they must be meeting the valuation as Ipswich were adamant that’s what they wanted.

Laurie Whitwell that wrote the story later tweeted “could rise to £8m”, now lets for a second believe that is true, he does know his onions, we could quite easily be looking at £2m/£3m in addons, addons that it wouldn’t be crazy to think could be based on promotion at which point the fee becomes absolute peanuts if it gets us up.

£5/6m our front, which would put us in at around £10m for Marriott/Waghorn.

If Vydra, Martin, Nugent, Jerome, Blackman who you would think are out of favour leave, we “shouldn’t” be out of pocket. 

The above could be all balls or not, it’s really not worth getting our knickers in a twist over the fee, as when the signing is announced will all know it will be undisclosed. News outlets will be giving us some rough figures to go on which can differ from one to the other, all depends on who you believe.

Fee aside, would you prefer a possible forward line up of

Vydra (26), Martin (29), Nugent (33), Jerome (31) and Blackman (28)

or

Marriott (23), Waghorn (28), Bennett (22)

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Completely made up I would imagine, like almost all of the figures around FFP we have seen bandied about.

Mel has repeatedly said he wouldn't risk breaching FFP and until he proves me wrong I will believe him over random figures plucked out of thin air by papers, pundits and punters.

11 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

No way worth 8m though.

Unless 2 are close to leaving and both waghorn & marriott in?

Martin, Nugent & Vydra all been linked with moves

Jerome has also been linked with  a move to PNE. Perhaps all 4 will go leaving Blackman, Bennett, Marriott, and Waghorn. It seems a lot of money to spend on a player who never made it at Leicester and who only sparked to life at Rangers and latterly at Ipswich.

So let me catch up here

lots of people say sell Vydra for £11 million - championship leading scorer 

people wet themselves at the prospect of signing the league 1 leading scorer  Marriott for £6 million ish 

people don’t want waghorn - goals and assists in a poor championship side = 27 from wide right with the best set piece delivery in the league last season because of a reported £8 million asking price ( which we may reportedly off set by swapping two unwanted players and some money)

I for one find people’s judgements intresting! 

( as a side issue I think we may have an offer received for Lawrence which we are pondering about) 

It seems an awful lot for Waghorn unless a player exchange is also involved. They have just lost McGoldrick so will be rather light in the striker department. Personally I would have liked to have taken Abraham on loan but as he has an international cap that is probably out of the question.

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

So let me catch up here

lots of people say sell Vydra for £11 million - championship leading scorer 

people wet themselves at the prospect of signing the league 1 leading scorer  Marriott for £6 million ish 

people don’t want waghorn - goals and assists in a poor championship side = 27 from wide right with the best set piece delivery in the league last season because of a reported £8 million asking price ( which we may reportedly off set by swapping two unwanted players and some money)

I for one find people’s judgements intresting! 

( as a side issue I think we may have an offer received for Lawrence which we are pondering about) 

I fear the same, received a Lawrence offer......

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Correct

In which case i struggle to see why folk dismiss vydra playing central striker but are enthusiastic for this pair?

Archived