Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it means we can shift some deadwood I don't have a problem with signing Waghorn - good player at this level and always a pain to opposition defences - plus works his socks off for the team. A younger version of Nugent.....

3 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

I don't believe for a second we're spending £8m on Waghorn, that's pie in the sky numbers maybe leaked to placate Ipswich fans, no idea - It's not true though.

Complete guess but imagine it's more likely to be say £4m plus players that cost us £4m (but are worth nothing to us). 

39 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Any bid for Waghorn will surely include lots of clauses that could add up to 8m, but there's no chance it will be 8m upfront.

People should keep in mind that only all reports of £8million stem from an original report in the DAILY MAIL. The DAILY MAIL! 

A rag for publishing notoriously false stories even in situations where they can be libellous. In the arena of football which is full of egos, inflated figures and fan clicks they will quite frankly write anything for a bit of attention. I don't doubt that there is interest there but I do doubt the £8million figure. We will not spend £8million on Waghorn. 

We may spend £3m on Waghorn with Blackman going the other way and a further £3m if we get promoted. All sortes of ways to make a deal reach numbers if you want it to. Could even be that the '£8m deal'  includes committee spend on his wages. £25K per week on a 3 year deal is near £4m. £3m fee and Pearce makes it to roughly an £8m deal. 

Lots of possible ways here to reach a newspaper figure. Remember the Marriott figure has suddenly gone from £6.5m to a reported £4.75m. That's a 27% fee decrease in a matter of just a few hours. 

I suspect even if both were to come in with a bit of money down you would see 23 year old Marriott on a 5 year deal and 28 yo Waghorn on a 3 year deal. From and FFP perspective the costs are then spread comparatively thinly. 

1 minute ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

People should keep in mind that only all reports of £8million stem from an original report in the DAILY MAIL. The DAILY MAIL! 

A rag for publishing notoriously false stories even in situations where they can be libellous. In the arena of football which is full of egos, inflated figures and fan clicks they will quite frankly write anything for a bit of attention. I don't doubt that there is interest there but I do doubt the £8million figure. We will not spend £8million on Waghorn. 

We may spend £3m on Waghorn with Blackman going the other way and a further £3m if we get promoted. All sortes of ways to make a deal reach numbers if you want it to. Could even be that the '£8m deal'  includes committee spend on his wages. £25K per week on a 3 year deal is near £4m. £3m fee and Pearce makes it to roughly an £8m deal. 

Lots of possible ways here to reach a newspaper figure. Remember the Marriott figure has suddenly gone from £6.5m to a reported £4.75m. That's a 27% fee decrease in a matter of just a few hours. 

I suspect even if both were to come in with a bit of money down you would see 23 year old Marriott on a 5 year deal and 28 yo Waghorn on a 3 year deal. From and FFP perspective the costs are then spread comparatively thinly. 

Lovely post ??

12 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Stop talking sense. (Good post)

24 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Franks prob given Ipswich a list of 8 players they can pick from......

”Here you go, any two from that lot, take ya pick”

Blackman

Anya

Blackman

Anya

Blackman

Anya

Blackman

Anya

Take your pick, any two...

1 minute ago, Oldben said:

Would you rather have Marriott or Waghorn?

If you're going to play a high energy press on the opposition defence and midfield it has to be led from the front. With the exception of Nugent we don't have anyone that can do that. We certainly don't have anyone that can do that Sat/Tues throughout the season. So in truth we probably need both. On the proviso that have plans to shift others on. 

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Complete guess but imagine it's more likely to be say £4m plus players that cost us £4m (but are worth nothing to us). 

If we can shift out some of the FFP drags then that would indeed be a bonus, especially those who's contracts aren't too far off being up.

7 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Either this is going to be a very complicated deal - or the figure being banded about by journos is just wrong.

Based on the money that's come in, we can't afford to spend ~£12m+ on two players even if we sell Vydra for ~£10m

A little over £4m is what we need to balance for FFP, we know that, and I think as Jozefzoon was 750k more than we got for Weimann - so with wages saved we're likely only about £1.5m of the way there (unless those we released were some of the highest earners, which I doubt with the big money we spent on players after them).

We'd probably be looking to see £15m come in, in order to fund this. 

17 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

I so wish to like this post but unfortunately, it's still biased. Dismissing high figure presented by Daily Mail is fine, but highlighting shady twitter account's price drop is hardly convenient. It just suits better for us.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Both. As they are both improvements on what we’ve currently got.

I struggle to see how you could pick both.

Wilson and Lawrence will play. So will Bryson, Mount and Hudds/Ledley. 

So unless we decide to play 3 at the back, there's no room for both.

Archived