Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like many others on here i've never really understood why fans get so involved over the fees. Do i personally think he's worth £8m, no probably not but i don't really care, it's not my money. Also i gather fees are very rarely the amounts that are reported and are spread over years or on the never-never.

If he was a Derby player do i think he would be worth £8m? Yes.

Anyway for the first time in... Forever... I think we are buying season tickets this year. Partly due to the thought of actually being enjoyable to watch this season and partly due to moving closer to home!

As with Marriott I’m going to trust lampard and his team on this one and feel comfortable doing that because although Southampton game was only pre season I saw easily enough to lift my spirits , passing at pace , movement off the ball with players supporting the man in possession giving options and angles ,pulling the opposition all over the place , if frank sees waghorn and Marriott as players that fit in to this style ( I think he wants goals throughout the team not just a striker) then I’m on board ,, let the money men figure how to make it happen 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm not entirely sure where the £250k has come from - it was reported at £1m and Mick Mac said that it wasn't that high. 

I think that was the start & end of it. Not that it makes a difference at all, but yeah. 

The fee is undisclosed, but is thought to be in the region of £1m.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-sign-striker-martyn-waghorn-from-rangers-1-5138614

Town say they've paid a 'substantial fee' to land the forward who has been handed the number nine shirt.

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2017-08-07/martyn-waghorn-ipswich-pay-substantial-fee-to-land-rangers-striker/

Mick McCarthy: "It’s not the million quid which has been reported, nowhere near that. It sounds good for the club and for Rangers I guess, but no.

“It’s an absolute snip. I’m thrilled we’ve got him.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-nowhere-near-1m-martyn-10958574

All with in 2 days, make of that what you will ?

2 minutes ago, 3766dan said:

If we sign Marriott and Waghorn for the money we get from selling Vydra that is very good business from us. 

I would be beyond happy with this. 

To be honest, I actually think we need to be putting some of it towards a left back and a centre midfielder providing a few leave. Hopefully whatever fees we get from our overly-stacked-not-very-good midfield and/or Forsyth (we can dream), I'd hope we go and invest in Bryson's long term replacement/injury cover.

1 minute ago, thederbyram said:

To be honest, I actually think we need to be putting some of it towards a left back and a centre midfielder providing a few leave. Hopefully whatever fees we get from our overly-stacked-not-very-good midfield and/or Forsyth (we can dream), I'd hope we go and invest in Bryson's long term replacement/injury cover.

Completely agree. If we sign this pair I think it’s almost certain we will shift some of our deadweight even if it’s for minimal transfer fees. A young holding midfielder that can cover at CB (Bayliss) and a left back would be ideal. 

3 minutes ago, 3766dan said:

Completely agree. If we sign this pair I think it’s almost certain we will shift some of our deadweight even if it’s for minimal transfer fees. A young holding midfielder that can cover at CB (Bayliss) and a left back would be ideal. 

To be fair Bayliss is more of a Bryson type than a holding midfielder. You may be thinking of the Reading player we've been linked with, George Evans?

Either way I'm a big fan of the Bayliss idea.

For a serious promotion push you need at least three central strikers if one is Injured then one  Is a sub and if one is out of form. If we move on Martin,  Jerome and Blackman it would leave us with Waghorn, Vydra and Marriott. Massive improvement with no major wages hit. 100 goal season? Move out Butterfield and Thorne. Job's a good 'un

This is my master plan which will change, in a couple of hours. 

4 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

To be fair Bayliss is more of a Bryson type than a holding midfielder. You may be thinking of the Reading player we've been linked with, George Evans?

Either way I'm a big fan of the Bayliss idea.

If Bayliss could act as an understudy to Bryson then that would be good for us! I definitely don't think we need another CDM. Johnson would be the natural replacement for Bryson in the team at the moment. 

Waghorn for £4m including lots of clauses seems more sensible. It's still a lot of money, mind, but I think that seems like a fair deal given what Ipswich would want after his record there. 

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

For a serious promotion push you need at least three central strikers if one is Injured then one  Is a sub and if one is out of form. If we move on Martin,  Jerome and Blackman it would leave us with Waghorn, Vydra and Marriott. Massive improvement with no major wages hit. 100 goal season? Move out Butterfield and Thorne. Job's a good 'un

Keep GT

1 minute ago, jimbobram said:

Keep GT

I wouldn't be adverse to a 6 month loan deal somewhere at this stage. He needs game time. I rate him as highly as anyone, but he isn't going to get back into the swing of things through us. I'd let McClaren have him for 6 months, we cover the wages if he plays - if he doesn't then they need to cover the wages. Fair enough deal.

18 minutes ago, Rampage said:

If we sign Waghorn and Mariott, I can't see Vydra staying. I think the third choice forward will probably end up being Bennett or one of Nugent/Jerome if they stay. 

Archived