Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

1 minute ago, Westcumbrianram said:

The most i would want us to pay is £4 million, he is 28 and an average championship player. Go get marriott and douglas and leave it at that. We already have 5 strikers at the club and i wouldnt mind losing at least 4 of them not add to an already ageing stroke force. Keep Martyn and get Marriott then look at an under 23.

Honestly I think Waghorn will probably be a better fit for what we want than Mariott. He's mobile, physically robust, can hold the ball, pick a pass and play anywhere across the front line so we can be positionally fluid. 

Mariott sounds like he's a bit of a poacher and I think ideally you want someone who can link play.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I would say the game had truly gone when teams started paying  £50m for full backs and players to sit on their bench. 

In comparison, £8m for someone who contributed to 27 goals last season looks reasonable. 

Doesn’t really look reasonable when there is such a monumental gulf in class between the two.

Waghorn cost £250,000 12 months ago. One good season and he’s suddenly an £8m player.

I would have hoped Derby had learned not to waste money on a player who has just had his best season of his career and is very unlikely to repeat it.

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

It's actually a legendary animal that was imagined, based on the description of leopards - as no-one ever saw one.

The 3 "Lions" on England's crest are actually, in terms of heraldry, Leopards. (No-one really knew what one looked like).

Also, Pard is slang for "mate" in Cornish, apparently. Could be old though.

so is a female Pard a Pard-ewe? Identifiable by a supercilious smug expression and tendency to talk absolute rubbish?

Interesting .. totally understand the philosophy .. bringing on and developing Marriott and having proven Waghorn 

but who are the outs ?  sums have to add up. Assuming Lawrence is part of the long term plan we have:

Waghorn, Marriot, Jerome, Martin, Vydra, Nuge, Blackman 7 central forwards. How many do we need, 3 or 4  ? Who are they and can you sell or pay off the ones you don’t want ? I bet our finance and recruitment team is working overtime ! 

Leaving out the practicalities of sales .. my picks are

Marriot = assuming Frank and Jodie want him - I trust them

Waghorn = same reason as above 

Vydra = because i love his pace and intent

Nuge = because he is so committed, a real proper bloke with a touch of guile and class. He also adds hugely to team spirit and can adapt to different roles. 

of Jerome and Martin

You have to love Martins football brain and the goals he has scored in a Derby shirt, but am not sure he is what Frank wants ? 

Jerome = honest powerful footballer who’d lead any line bravely but how long is he going to last and has he the class to be a level better at this stage in his career ? 

Blackman = of course he can play football, despite his critics, but he just doesn’t seem to light up the pitch which others have at one time or another. 

4 minutes ago, jono said:

Interesting .. totally understand the philosophy .. bringing on and developing Marriott and having proven Waghorn 

but who are the outs ?  sums have to add up. Assuming Lawrence is part of the long term plan we have:

Waghorn, Marriot, Jerome, Martin, Vydra, Nuge, Blackman 7 central forwards. How many do we need, 3 or 4  ? Who are they and can you sell or pay off the ones you don’t want ? I bet our finance and recruitment team is working overtime ! 

Leaving out the practicalities of sales .. my picks are

Marriot = assuming Frank and Jodie want him - I trust them

Waghorn = same reason as above 

Vydra = because i love his pace and intent

Nuge = because he is so committed, a real proper bloke with a touch of guile and class. He also adds hugely to team spirit and can adapt to different roles. 

of Jerome and Martin

You have to love Martins football brain and the goals he has scored in a Derby shirt, but am not sure he is what Frank wants ? 

Jerome = honest powerful footballer who’d lead any line bravely but how long is he going to last and has he the class to be a level better at this stage in his career ? 

Blackman = of course he can play football, despite his critics, but he just doesn’t seem to light up the pitch which others have at one time or another. 

For a 433 you need two forwards with ideally a third player who can play there. I think Waghorn and Mariott will be first and second choice if it comes off. Vydra I think is the most likely to be sold given he's likely to fetch the biggest fee and has had the most interest. Blackman is likely completely out of the picture. Beyond that i think it'll depend on who comes in for Martin/Jerome/Nugent, we'll likely go with whoever is left over as third choice. 

Too be honest we might even look to move them all on and have Bennett as third choice because he can cover the other forward positions as well.

Just now, Carnero said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5990999/Derby-County-edge-closer-5m-deal-Jack-Marriott.html

"Derby are still in talks to sign Martyn Waghorn as well, and a deal worth an initial £5m rising to £8m - if the club are promoted and survive - could be agreed this week."

I'll take £7m up front for the two of them. Minimum of £3m profit on the Vydra sale (10m reportedly being the minimum figure).

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5990999/Derby-County-edge-closer-5m-deal-Jack-Marriott.html

"Derby are still in talks to sign Martyn Waghorn as well, and a deal worth an initial £5m rising to £8m - if the club are promoted and survive - could be agreed this week."

Not bad business that. Waghorn and Marriott for a combined 7 million upfront, for two players who contributed over 20 goals last season. 

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Just saw that myself, still have doubts over whether he’s really the best option but you can’t moan at how that deals structured. If we’re promoted and survive, 8m will barely be a bench player!

What's more interesting is that Lampard see's Marriott as a 'project' *allegedly*. 

Suggests that Lamps is looking not just to this season but further. He genuinely seems to be putting the club first and appears to want to stick around in the long term. 

55 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Doesn’t really look reasonable when there is such a monumental gulf in class between the two.

Waghorn cost £250,000 12 months ago. One good season and he’s suddenly an £8m player.

I would have hoped Derby had learned not to waste money on a player who has just had his best season of his career and is very unlikely to repeat it.

In keeping with my betting strategy I shall now be punting Waghorn to be the divisions top scorer. My lad asked me to thank you for his flat by the way. 

Archived