Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 86 points said:

In keeping with my betting strategy I shall now be punting Waghorn to be the divisions top scorer. My lad asked me to thank you for his flat by the way. 

Which bet was that on? Fulham earning promotion? Burton going down? City winning the league? Real Madrid winning the Champions League?

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Which bet was that on? Fulham earning promotion? Burton going down? City winning the league? Real Madrid winning the Champions League?

None of the above mate just any prediction you've ever made about Derby. Picking City and Madrid to win stuff is something my old dear could do and she's been dead for 20 years. Burton to be relegated and Fulham to get promoted? Do HITC actually pay you for these 'insights'? I did try to find a Betfair market for our season being over a couple of weeks back too.

Seriously, are you even a Derby fan?

Talking of predictions, we could do with a prediction for the new season thread on here. 

It's always good for a laugh later on in the season. I doubt anyone would have been mental enough to predict Cardiff to win automatic promotion last season, mind. 

21 minutes ago, 86 points said:

None of the above mate just any prediction you've ever made about Derby. Picking City and Madrid to win stuff is something my old dear could do and she's been dead for 20 years. Burton to be relegated and Fulham to get promoted? Do HITC actually pay you for these 'insights'? I did try to find a Betfair market for our season being over a couple of weeks back too.

Tbf in December last year Bris was pretty confident of a promotion push. 

He started the "promotion rivals" thread after Christmas, his posts had an air of giddyness about them - so I think he does enjoy Derby doing well.

I think he just likes being perceived as being right more. 

(and that thread does put a small spanner in his "this squad was never going to achieve anything" stance ? he's clearly thought differently at times)

I don't like the idea of replacing Vydra with Waghorn but a year ago I'd have happily seen Vydra swapped for Theo Robinson. He did well for Rowett. 

Never really been impressed by Waghorn's ability. Grafts though. I'm worried last season was a one off where he's a fast attacking player in an otherwise negative hoofball team. 

His price has inflated a lot though!! Chris Martin must have been worth about £20m at one point with 50 goals or whatever in 3 seasons as well as being a playmaker. Sounds ludicrous but when Waghorn is potentially £8m and Vydra was £8m after his time at WBA and Reading. 

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Doesn’t really look reasonable when there is such a monumental gulf in class between the two.

Waghorn cost £250,000 12 months ago. One good season and he’s suddenly an £8m player.

I would have hoped Derby had learned not to waste money on a player who has just had his best season of his career and is very unlikely to repeat it.

You're right actually £8m is not reasonable at all.

However,  if you think this would be the transfer that shows football has 'truly gone' you must have been walking round with your head in the clouds.

Man United got rid of Pogba for free and then bought him back for £90m 4 years later.

As for wasting money on players on the back of a good season, how would you rate spending £50m on someone who will probably be a bench warmer? Don't answer this part actually, I know you will have an excuse to explain why this is great business.

Also on what basis is Waghorn 'very unlikely to repeat' his form from last season? 

I thought we'd learned our lesson on paying exorbitant transfer fees for a player on the back of a golden season. I guess Leeds are going to do the same for Vydra but I know who Id rather have in a swap between Vydra and Waghorn. 

Can anyone stick a poll up to gauge posters opinions on here?

Just now, Inglorius said:

I thought we'd learned our lesson on paying exorbitant transfer fees for a player on the back of a golden season. I guess Leeds are going to do the same for Vydra but I know who Id rather have in a swap between Vydra and Waghorn. 

Can anyone stick a poll up to gauge posters opinions on here?

Vydra vydra  vydra .  8 million for a bloke who can take a good corner.

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

Yeah I'm a Derby fan. But I class myself as a realistic Derby fan. Not a deluded one which can't see any faults even when they're blindingly obvious,

I'm not flawless, therefore it seems people make more of a deal out of things when I'm wrong because they just can't stand it when I'm right - usually highlighting or a negative or making a bad prediction about something they are passionate about.

IMO we are still short of a promotion-challenging squad. Therefore without big changes, this season isn't going to be worth much in the long run when most of our current squad aren't going to be here in 2 years time.

We're just treading water until then, which is rather boring...

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah I'm a Derby fan. But I class myself as a realistic Derby fan. Not a deluded one which can't see any faults even when they're blindingly obvious,

I'm not flawless, therefore it seems people make more of a deal out of things when I'm wrong because they just can't stand it when I'm right - usually highlighting or a negative or making a bad prediction about something they are passionate about.

IMO we are still short of a promotion-challenging squad. Therefore without big changes, this season isn't going to be worth much in the long run when most of our current squad aren't going to be here in 2 years time.

We're just treading water until then, which is rather boring...

But as a realistic Derby fan surely you can see we can't make many big changes until next season when a big chunk of the squad's contract's end? We are really going to struggle to find buyers for players like Johnson, Blackman and Butterfield who are on huge wages and haven't performed well for a couple of years. We already have a huge squad and it would be silly to keep adding to it without departures when our wage bill is so big. This season Frank can start to implement his ideas and make a few changes, then providing he's still here next season which I assume he will be, he can make the big changes required

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Have just read the Wigan fans message board some of the quotes on there regarding Waghorn going for even half of £8 million border on the incredulous

They also said Carson was poo when we signed him, so possibly not the most clued up.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You're right actually £8m is not reasonable at all.

However,  if you think this would be the transfer that shows football has 'truly gone' you must have been walking round with your head in the clouds.

Man United got rid of Pogba for free and then bought him back for £90m 4 years later.

As for wasting money on players on the back of a good season, how would you rate spending £50m on someone who will probably be a bench warmer? Don't answer this part actually, I know you will have an excuse to explain why this is great business.

Also on what basis is Waghorn 'very unlikely to repeat' his form from last season? 

Not saying this would be 'the' transfer which shows football has truely gone. It would be 'a' transfer illustrating that point. Avereage, average player for the same price as the entire Reading team which finished on 106 points.

Can you remember when Derby fans got giddy over a Shaun Barker fee. Clough would be under big pressure to get the signing right for a Shaun Barker fee. Nowadays five Shaun Barker fees can't even buy you an average 28-year-old forward who probably has only three more years at Championship level.

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

But as a realistic Derby fan surely you can see we can't make many big changes until next season when a big chunk of the squad's contract's end? We are really going to struggle to find buyers for players like Johnson, Blackman and Butterfield who are on huge wages and haven't performed well for a couple of years. We already have a huge squad and it would be silly to keep adding to it without departures when our wage bill is so big. This season Frank can start to implement his ideas and make a few changes, then providing he's still here next season which I assume he will be, he can make the big changes required

Yeah I know. Hence me really hoping we sell either Vydra or Lawrence and using the money to buy about five young players. I was hoping for this to happen at the start of the summer.

But we haven't managed to do it. And as such, we missed out on a fair few exciting, cheap youngsters who we were previously linked with.

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

They also said Carson was poo when we signed him, so possibly not the most clued up.

I just can't get my head round it, were Rangers totally crass in their transfer dealings that they might as well given Waghorn away to Ipswich for free or is that that he isn't worth anywhere near the figures being bandied about a year on? The more I think about it the more I am settling for the latter explanation.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah I know. Hence me really hoping we sell either Vydra or Lawrence and using the money to buy about five young players. I was hoping for this to happen at the start of the summer.

But we haven't managed to do it. And as such, we missed out on a fair few exciting, cheap youngsters who we were previously linked with.

I can definitely agree on that. I'd much rather we sell Vydra and bring in the likes of Bayliss, Kamara and Souttar rather than spend big on Waghorn when we already have good attacking options once Marriott arrives

7 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I can definitely agree on that. I'd much rather we sell Vydra and bring in the likes of Bayliss, Kamara and Souttar rather than spend big on Waghorn when we already have good attacking options once Marriott arrives

Talk us through Kamara and Souttar's strengths and weaknesses. I have only seen them a couple of times so can't really comment and make a judgment....

6 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I just can't get my head round it, were Rangers totally crass in their transfer dealings that they might as well given Waghorn away to Ipswich for free or is that that he isn't worth anywhere near the figures being bandied about a year on? The more I think about it the more I am settling for the latter explanation.

I can't really argue with that. 

It seems to be the new normal, but the price inflation doesn't seem sustainable to me, and it seemingly bears no relation to financial reality.

What do we fans know though, we put our trust in another driver who hopefully can see the bigger picture, and hope he doesn't drive us over a cliff.

Archived