Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

A pard is a legendary animal that is listed in Medieval bestiaries. They were felines with spotted coats and were extremely fast. They were believed to mate with lions to produce leopards.

It's actually a legendary animal that was imagined, based on the description of leopards - as no-one ever saw one.

The 3 "Lions" on England's crest are actually, in terms of heraldry, Leopards. (No-one really knew what one looked like).

Also, Pard is slang for "mate" in Cornish, apparently. Could be old though.

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

A pard is a legendary animal that is listed in Medieval bestiaries. They were felines with spotted coats and were extremely fast. They were believed to mate with lions to produce leopards.

Call my bluff.

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Also officially another name for a leopard. A lamb leopard is a whatever. 

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

If we sign waghorn I would expect Lawrence would go . Assuming there is a buyer, Stoke were rumoured but now they don't need him if they have ince. 

I personally hope not Pete  I’m hoping others will be on there way  ...I think TL has looked very good so far under Frank and Jody and think could see the 10m doubled if he were to have a great season and he’s young ....

None of our stars are leaving unless they really insist. 

Interesting comment by Jody suggesting that message to players can be sent by inclusion in lineups or non inclusions. Nothing new in that but places questions over the usual suspects. 

Thorne  Butterfield Johnson Jerome and Blackman need to play well tonight. 

25 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

I have nothing against Vydra. If the Daily Mail is correct and we are in advanced talks with Ipswich to buy Waghorn for £8 million then the assumption is that Vyfra is being sold to finance the purchase of both Marriott and Waghorn.

I can't see why Stoke would want Lawrence as they have just spent 310 million on Ince to play on the right wing.

We could do with a right back as cover now that Baird has gone. Frank seems to have neglected the defence.

And McClean for the left. But have to factor in they have sold Sobhi and Shaquiri so they are like for like. Despite having Lawrence and Wilson we still went out and got a 3rd winger.

Right back isn't a problem area, I would be disappointed if we did buy an obstacle on front of Bogle. I'd guess he'd have no qualms about playing Hanson there as a stop gap. 

I would like one more young player in centrally but assume Wisdom is the cover for the 3 centre backs and again Hanson an emergency option.

Unfortunately I can't see a great defensive record this season - high pressing is going to leave big gaps and cause trouble. Ledley is going to be very important filling them.

Back to Waghorn I can see evidence of a moneyball type system at play - Waghorn and Wilson's stats have some high key numbers. Not sure where FJ stands - off the top of my head he was involved in about 16 goals - but I don't know where on the list it puts him.

If this happens it's perhaps the least surprising transfer of the season, in that it's typical of Derby to always pay absolutely top dollar to add an ageing player to an already bloated squad who we'll find it impossible to sell on in future years. We will only buy when the player in question is at the peak of their market value. 

I'd far rather play Vydra in the role, who has fabulous movement, also takes a mean free kick, can play in other good players on his wavelength and has the hardest shot I've seen since Bruce Rioch. 

It's not my money, but if true it seems Mel's intent on creating a fourth senior team as we obviously don't have enough players at the club. 

37 minutes ago, McLovin said:

But who said we are getting rid of two deadwood players though apart from an unreliable twitter account? How would Ipswich be able to afford their wages and would they even want them.

Don't have Twitter so the above was my own thoughts.

Can't see any way that we would pay £8m in cash for Waghorn.

Jimbo 8 mil is the potential total value, if its made up of add ons and players what is not to like about the deal.

ask your self this one question . Would you rather have Waghorn on the field in a Rams shirt or both Butterfield and Blackman on the field.. I know my answer spend the cash Mel and Frank 

3 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I'm just praying this doesn't. Happen. I'm hoping that the club see's the reaction and pulls out. Ridiculous money that can be spent elsewhere.

I really really hope that the club would never take fans reaction on the internet into account when making transfer decisions.

and until someone at derby comes out and says, yeah we just spent £8 million on this fella, will people stop over obsessing about that figure.

3 minutes ago, philc130 said:

Jimbo 8 mil is the potential total value, if its made up of add ons and players what is not to like about the deal.

ask your self this one question . Would you rather have Waghorn on the field in a Rams shirt or both Butterfield and Blackman on the field.. I know my answer spend the cash Mel and Frank 

Well now you could have Waghorn, Butterfield and Blackman on the pitch at the same time. He will be another one to fit that category too. Another player signed for too much, on too much who we will struggle to get rid off.

Archived