Snake City watch

Zag zig

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

Looks like they're going with Nathan Jones. 

Pissed off for Luton. Stokies reaction seems to vary from underwhelmed to, oh well, it can't be any worse and it might be slightly exciting. 

Omg what if Lamby's Luton take Rowett? That would make my year!

Nathan Jones would be a very strange appointment based on the sacking of Rowett, who for all his faults at least has managed at this level. Jones (apart from a cameo with Brighton) hasn't.

Surely if you want instant success you at least appoint someone who on paper is better than what you got rid of?

I know I am going to come in for "well we appointed Lampard" But at least Lampard had a name to conjure with and was always going to attract players etc

I wait to be proved wrong

I find it utterly astonishing that people are questioning this appointment. Jones is a manager who's team are sat 2nd in league 1. In his first (and so far only) full season as a manger he got his team promoted. He has a 51% win ratio. If there isn't a route to a Championship job for someone with a record like that, then every manager at League 1 level or below might as well pack in.

25 minutes ago, Anon said:

I find it utterly astonishing that people are questioning this appointment. Jones is a manager who's team are sat 2nd in league 1. In his first (and so far only) full season as a manger he got his team promoted. He has a 51% win ratio. If there isn't a route to a Championship job for someone with a record like that, then every manager at League 1 level or below might as well pack in.

High risk you'd think for a club like Stoke, or are looking for a short term return to the Premier League. A bit like Rowett, this guy has not got any actual achievements on his cv - yet! Nathan Jones best route would appear to earn a promotion with Luton and then he can call himself a championship manager.

I thought Stoke were touting Moyes - has that fallen through as an idea as well?

Nathan Jones was who I wanted us to go for in the summer, so it’ll be interesting to see how he gets on at this level.

It’s shrewd from Stoke for a change. They now have a bright young manager with a vision and a fan-friendly style of play, so the fans will be more patient and more forgiving you would assume. 

I’d be very surprised if they were knocking on the door of the play offs. 8 points is a lot to claw back, even at this stage.

But next season, they could be one to watch.

In League One. ?

6 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Who the duck names a pet Nathan

Someone called Janet. Who the duck names a child Janet!

5 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Omg what if Lamby's Luton take Rowett? That would make my year!

bar steward!

5 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

I wait to be proved wrong

That's not like you. 

I am genuinely surprised that Stoke have gone for Nathan Jones - I assume everyone they actually wanted turned them down.

Personally I think it is a bold move, but not a bad one - his team was on course for two promotions in a row with them being top scorers in the league last season and currently top scorers in league 1. Will be very interesting to see if he has the players to play how he wants.

They do have some decent players in their squad and I am looking forward to seeing if we see a similar reversal in fortunes as at Man Utd now Mourinho number 2 has left and they are actually allowed to attack.

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

17/18

Before 1st Jan: 48 points from 24 games

1st Jan onward: 27 points from 22 games

16/17

Before 1st Jan: 40 points from 24 games

1st Jan onward: 27 points from 22 games

15/16

Before 1st Jan: 48 points from 24 games

1st Jan onward: 30 points from 22 games

14/15

Before 1st Jan: 45 points from 24 games

1st Jan onward: 32 points from 22 games

13/14

Before 1st Jan: 44 points from 23 games

1st Jan onward: 41 points from 23 games

Thanks for that. Just shows we don’t discrimate against what style of football we play when it comes to haveing a crap second half of the season!

Bad news is, we appear to pick up fewer points from January, Year on Year...

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No I haven't forgotten them results, them sort of things happen in this division hence why we've also been turned over by Bolton, Rotherham and Millwall this season. 

Have you forgotten that we had more games won by 3 goals margins than any other team last season?

You say it was unsustainable but it clearly wasn't as we reached the play offs. The other times I have regularly heard that this sort of football was unsustainable were when Burnley and Cardiff got promoted using it and Leicester won a Premier League title using it.

To say you get lucky over a season is just wrong in my opinion. 

I know it's going to sound like I like Rowett's style of football, but I genuinely don't, I just think the criticism of it, and him, go top far the other way and some of the arguments used to support it are fictitious and hypocritical.

There’s no shame in losing by 1 goal to Rotherham, Millwall or Bolton. Losing 4-1 at home to the bottom club is shameful and embarrassing. One of the worst performances by Derby that I have seen. Burton A was just as bad.

We might have won 3-0 several times last season but the results were flattering. Middlesbrough A as an example. Still don’t know how they didn’t score.

We May of beaten Hull 5-0 at Home but we didn’t play well defensively.

Nathan Jones would have been an excellent choice for a team like Brentford, Bristol City, Preston North End, Sheffield United, etc. I will not dispute that. He has proven to be a very good manager. 

Football management, however, is more about your face fitting than your coaching/management credentials. I just don't see Nathan Jones as the option for Stoke. They definitely needed someone with more of a name, if not a manager with a proven record then at least an ex-player that the players would look up to. 

Stoke is a team full of highly paid failed Premier League footballers, so it will be interesting to see how they respond to a guy that I'm sure the vast majority wouldn't have even heard of before today. I personally wouldn't have picked Jones for the Stoke job, despite the fact I rate him as a coach and manager.

On 08/01/2019 at 17:12, MuespachRam said:

And we look an absolutely tin pot club/bunch of supporters at the way everyone calls him a snake etc...it is just pathetic.

He was a class player for us, that was instrumental in a team that played the best football we have seen down there in 30 years and then he took over as manager and did a decent enough job, getting us to the play off semis and then left for what he perceived as a bigger job....where is the problem?

Its just classless to be so hateful towards the man.

Yea you're right. It's a bit like your attitude towards liverpool

Archived